Thread: Just introducing myself...

Default Just introducing myself...

Greetings Mandolin Players

I was looking for an area for introductions and didn't find one so I thought I would just post a little something here. I played an instrument in high school (the clarinet) a "few" years ago and have missed playing music. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a stringed instrument for a couple of years now and I've waffled back and forth between the banjo and mandolin for quite some time. I finally chose the mandolin because I just love the sound, and it's quite portable, and well let's face it, there are just too many vicious banjo jokes out there.

I bought a Rogue, yes, yes, I know, let the stoning begin! There is method to my madness though. I have ADD which means I love to learn/try new things, but I don't always stick with them. Bellydancing comes to mind. I made a deal with myself that if I was going to try this I had a $200 cap, lessons included and if I stuck with my lessons, after three months if I was still excited about playing and putting in the time I would throw $500 at a much better instrument. The flipside to my ADD is that the things I am passionate about I am laser focused on and will spend hours doing.

I start my lessons the end of January, but I absolutely couldn't wait so I was tinkering around YouTube and found a ton of videos. I've got my instrument set up as best I can, waiting for my D'addarios to arrive in the mail, and taking it to my local music store soon for a professional set up. I've been playing for a few days so far. I have to say I'm smitten. I am learning chords and working on Irish Washerwoman. My fingertips are sore so I must be doing something right.

I hear that you mandolin players are generally a friendly bunch so I thought I'd say hello.
    Cake or death?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Traceyleezle For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Just introducing myself...

Welcome and congratulations! The best mandolin is your own. Looks like youre on the right track in your thought process.

Welcome! A Rogue is not a bad one to start with... My first was a Fender with action so high you could use it to slice cheese.

Hope you enjoy this forum and your new passion.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ... Hello . And welcome to Mandolin Café ..... A Rogue is where many aspiring mandolinists start their journey. A few recommendations and a list. Download Rob Meldrum's mandolin setup book. It is available here on the café. Getting any mandolin setup to it's best is a must. Sore fingers are part of the newbie experience , oh yeah. Irish Washerwoman is maybe the most known Irish fiddle tune ..... a great place to start. Now that list .....
    1. Learn both open and closed position chords and scales and arpeggios.
    2. Take lessons from a mandolin player / teacher not someone that just teaches mandolin.
    3. Get a 1.2mm or thicker pick. This is a matter of opinion.
    4. Keep a loose wrist and fingers. If you don't drop the pick occasionally you are gripping it too tight. Watch a video of Tim O'Brien.
    5. Hold your pick at 90' to the side of your thumb.
    6. Do a lot of active ,with mandolin in hand, and passive, while doing other things , listening to mandolin players.
    7. Learn fiddle tunes. Then learn to play them in odd keys. Not to befuddle your picking buds but to really learn the fingerboard.
    8. Find a jam to play with folks. It's the best way to dive in to playing.
    9. Start practicing tremolo and crosspicking early on. Right hand control is crucial to tone production as well as keeping your play interesting.
    10. If you don't already know basic music theory then learn it. It will help you evolve as a mandolinist and as a musician. Know what keys and chords work together arpeggios and scale construction etc.
    11. Play everyday ... a great deal of this "stuff" is muscle memory.
    Patience and luck.... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Any mandolin that plays in tune, has low enough action, and sounds tolerable is enough to learn on. You can always upgrade, and after playing more you'll have a better idea what you want.

Also much of the mandolin advice you may get can be "style-oriented", meaning a classical player and a Bluegrass player may suggest two somewhat contradictory things, like type of pick, how to hold the pick, where to pick, etc. Unless you know you want to play a certain style, I'd go for "middle-of-the-road" mandolin playing, meaning try a bit of everything and see what you like best, and then specialize.

8. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Welcome to the crazy fun mandolin world....never a dull moment. I think you are starting out right. In fact, that's exactly how I started. My lovely wife bought me a rogue mandolin for Christmas one year and that's what got me started. You are right that there are not likely going to be any good mandolin instructors locally but thank God for the internet and youtube. You can immerse yourself into videos, numerous books, online lessons and the great community here at the cafe. You have found your new home and support system my friend. Welcome to the cafe!
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Check out pete@petimarpress.com. He has many you tubes for beginning mandolin players.

ADD playing? Hey,join the club,I got the t-shirt.you can really entertain yourself,I Go from bluegrass to jazz to weird neo classical goulash I make up and 6 different tunes all in the course of like 10 minutes..but I've always practiced almost every day in my life..

12. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Welcome, I played the clarinet in high school too and it didn't seem to hinder me learning the mandolin. Good luck and, remember, have fun.

Well thank you all for the welcome and encouragement. I've been going through http://www.mandolessons.com/ Beginner Series and he's covered everything from how to sit, how to hold the instrument, how to hold the pick, etc. right on into playing. Very informative. Good pace.

I have requested a copy of Rob Meldrum's book as suggested. I didn't do too bad a job setting up my instrument with the help of some YouTube videos, but it's still not quite there, got some buzzing in the lower frets still. Hopefully his book will help. I purchased an assortment of picks to try and so far I really love the heavy Fender triangle. It just feels right.

I love all types of music and look forward to the point where I can start exploring different songs from different genres on my mandolin. I told a friend jokingly that I wanted to see if the mandolin could djent.

I couldn't find a teacher locally, but found someone through takelessons who plays fiddle and mandolin. We are slated to start on January 23rd. Until then YouTube is my school.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, I look forward to getting to know all of you.
    Cake or death?

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    ADD playing? Hey,join the club,I got the t-shirt.you can really entertain yourself,I Go from bluegrass to jazz to weird neo classical goulash I make up and 6 different tunes all in the course of like 10 minutes..but I've always practiced almost every day in my life..
    Is it the t-shirt that says, "I don't have AD...Hey look! A squirrel!" Where about in upstate NY are you, I'm originally from that area. Tiny town Northeast of Binghamton.
    Cake or death?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hello, Tracyleezle! Welcome to the forum, from a fellow beginner! Thanks for sharing a little about yourself. I hope you do get hooked and consumed with things mandolin. Learning and making music can be a life-changing experience!

I have seen belly dancers with ukeleles from time to time, but have yet to have seen one with a mandolin (couldn't resist that one, please pardon my tomfoolery).

I want to let you know that we have a social group here for beginners named The Newbies Group and I'd like to personally invite you and all newcomers and lurkers who are new to the mandolin to join and participate with us. You can check out the Newbies Group by clicking here!

Again, welcome to the cafe! Enjoy the ride!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Tracy,,I live in Saratoga county,,I've had ADD my whole life,but only found this out a few years ago,it made me understand why I did crazy things when I was younger.I use it to my advantage,I always have like 15 different projects going,I just go in a circle till something gets done.but I have a lot of complexities I've just found out last year that I'm dealing with,,I suffer with PTSD, and rest less leg syndrome,,but I have Marfans syndorome and with that came Raynauds phenomen secondary form.the marfans gave me what they call " hyperextension mobility syndrome" , which I consider almost lucky and a blessing,especially when it comes to things like playing a musical instrument,,life is so freaking interesting ,ain't it?

Blog Entries

I don't think I have ADD but I think I know what you mean. I am easily distracted and I do tend to fall in love quickly, with a tune, an instrument, a person, a book, a movie, a comfy chair, a great cigar, an artist, a brand of coffee, a diner, a pepper jelly, whatever. But when I get to the next level, get passionate about it, the rest of the world seems to get muted as some incredible focus kicks in. When I first got on to the mandolin, I shut off the world for a summer and dug in deeply. And even now, I get a passion/obsession with a particular tune and its all I work on for a week or more.

Enjoy the potatoes out of your mandolin and keep in the back of your mind that pursuing beauty and excellence (on the mandolin as much as anywhere) is not a waste of time.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have some family up in Saratoga Springs and I just took me weeuns camping at Seneca Lake this past Labor Day. The Finger Lakes region is one of my favorite areas of NY, that and the Adirondacks.

I also have RLS, I have found that chelated magnesium really makes a huge difference. It also helps keep my depression at bay. Excellent stuff!

Life IS freaking interesting!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the invite, I'll have to wander over there.
    Cake or death?

20. The following members say thank you to Traceyleezle for this post:

Welcome - lots of good advice here, just enjoy the instrument you have!
    Adam

www.santabarbarasessions.com
    www.adamphillipsmusic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/santabarbarasessions
    Collings MT2
    Big Muddy M2
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber Gallitan Octave
    Picotte Mandocello

Blog Entries

Hi Tracey, We are so glad you have joined up! Enjoy your mandolin journey as it grows and grows on us! Welcome!!!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyleezle View Post
    I have ADD which means I love to learn/try new things, but I don't always stick with them. Bellydancing comes to mind.
    Welcome Traceyleezle! Not sure if I have ADD or not, but a belly....? Definitely! Maybe I should give that a shot. Now, where was I???
    Oh Yeah. Welcome and have fun!

Welcome...
    I also started with a Rogue and learned the basics on that instrument. I have acquired several mandolins since then. Each mandolin has been progressively better in quality. Good luck on your musical mandolin journey.

Welcome Tracey. You have come to a good place.

I am a relative newbie also. I also like the Fender Heavy pick.

I have concluded that a lot of people think if you spend a bundle on a mandolin, it will magically make you a fantastic mandolin player. I think the real secret is good instruction (whether from a book/CD/computer or in person) and regular practice (which I definitely do not do!). I also think you really do need a good setup on whatever you are playing.

Hang in there and have a great time!

Welcome.

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place and highly addictive
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe and to the Mandolin!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +