Thread: First mandolin purchase

Default First mandolin purchase

Hi All, I currently play both banjo and guitar and have decided to add a mandolin. I've never owned or played one. I need to buy one for about $300-500. It can be new or used - any advise? Thanks, Jim

Default Re: First mandolin purchase

The Mandolin Store advertised the new Kentucky 505 for $499.I have a Kentucky 1050 an the 505 they said is now made in the same factory. One of those could make you happy for a long time. So if TMS will still honor that price That would end my search.

That said the Kentucky 150 is amazing for $300.
    I have also had an Eastman 305 that was very nice. You should be able to find some nice Eastmans in your price range.
    If you look you might find a used Morris for close.

Good luck in the search there are some nice mandolins in your price range.

I'd consider used, myself. The depreciation is already figured into the price, and if/when you want to upgrade, you won't lose value.
    Beyond that, the instrument will be somewhat "played in"; any changes that the break-in process may have effected will already be determined.

Also, the dreaded "first scratch" is already there, so that bit of anxiety is dispensed with.

Though almost any style can be played on any mandolin, I think it would be helpful to know what you intend to play.
    The Eastman and Kentucky mandolins recommended are archtop mandolins with f-holes, that can be used in any style, but have a sound typically thought of as kind of bluegrassy.
    Alternatives would be archtop oval hole or flattop for folk styles or even bowlback mandolins for classical music.

I just bought a great little Eastman 315 F copy from Blue Angel music in Pensacola Florida. They do a great set up. It was a demo. With shipping it cost me under $500.00. They had more than one available. They sell on Reverb. Give them a call, they are always ready to deal. The Eastman 305 is always an option for an A model.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

https://themandolinstore.com/product...el-a-mandolin/

This looks like a good one and the fine folks at The Mandolin Store are the best (nfi). I've been extremely satisfied with all my purchases from them.

The Loar LM400 (with case!) deserves a look as well.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Zach Wilson; Jan-02-2016 at 9:36pm. Reason: Duh!

I just ordered an Eastmas MD305 from the Mandolin Store. Thanks to everyone for your help. Jim

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Right on! Here's to you and many years of pickin'!