Thread: Schertler Placement on Weber F

Default Schertler Placement on Weber F

Looking for advise from those who love the Schertler DYN-M. I use one on my Weber Yellowstone, but had some issues at my Christmas concert. To get the volume loud enough to hear myself play, I also had problems with picking up random noises every time I touched the mandolin, it rubbed on my shirt, etc. I have wondered if I am using the pickup correctly.

Currently I place it on the side, between the tail piece and point. I use enough putty to seal it off, and gently place it to make an airtight seal. Is this the proper or best way to use this pickup? Should it be pressed harder, so that the little black button in the center actually touches the instrument, and if so, is there a risk of leaving a scratch?

Just curious as to how others use this pickup, where it is placed and why, how close to the instrument surface (touching in the center,) etc.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Schertler Placement on Weber F

Because mandolin bracing differs between instruments, and quite simply due to other variables such as bridges and wood, there is no universal position that will be optimum, rather, it is a question of some experimentation to find the best sounding spot. As a starting point, about 1 inch from the treble side of the bridge towards the tailpiece is suggested - but even small movements away from here can produce quite substantial tonal differences. So experiment.

Excess handling noise can be an issue with all soundboard transducers. You need judicious use of EQ (high pass filtering) to remove this. With mandolin, you can experiment with rolling off from around 150Hz.

I have not found the fixing/seal to be super critical with these, in fact. You do not need to press them on too hard. Mandroid uses one so may be able to offer some more insight. I don't use one myself, but I have run sound for people who do. I normally run them straight into the XLR (mic level) input of a console, and use the combination of parametric and 'general purpose' EQ's available there to dial in a decent tone. If you know someone who has a digital desk with RTA (Real Time Analysis) this can be very handy for determining what frequency shaping is optimal for any given transducer/instrument combination (in addition to your own ears, of course).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

gtani7 

I've used the DYN-M. I'd recommend you put it on the top, not the rim/side of the mandolin. I put it behind the bridge, on the treble side, maybe 1/2" to an inch behind the bridge and just so a little of it is under the strings. You should try it in various places on the top to see what works for your mandolin.

You need less putty than you think, and you just barely push it on to make it stick. Don't push so hard you make contact with the top. If putty sticks to the top when you remove the pickup, you can use some extra putty to dab at it and it will come right off the top.

Every pickup I've tried has turned my mandolin into a giant microphone more or less. Your handling noise disappears in the sound of the music your band is playing. No one else is going to hear it but you.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I've been using a schertler for years. I have two very different mandolins, but get best results putting it in the same location on both. That's treble side, about an inch below the bridge toward the tailpiece but not under the strings.

One important suggestion. Use a minimal amount of stick-um. It doesn't need to be thicker than a piece of string. If so, it's easy to clean up after a gig. After 4 years, my mandolins show no marks from the stick-um.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

I put mine behind the bridge too , more centered , under the strings,

the pip in the center is what the soundboard vibrates the pickup by,
    so It has to touch.
    the suction formed by pushing down the putty keeps it separated from Outside noises .

I've had the same putty ring on forever ..
    just cover it with a piece of plastic like a Card, when I stow it in the Box.

Extra Thin cable and the plug to a Mic cable Go In a Pocket.

so the bigger cable is what gets stepped on
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks everyone for the feedback. You'v given me some ideas to try. The biggest problem with the contact noise is not during the playing, but between songs, when I am speaking. Bumping into a mic stand for instance, or those times I need to set it down.

I haven't had any problems with the stickum, but will play around with the location, and whether it works better for me to have the button contact the top.

Thanks again,
    Phil

Blog Entries

You could consider a balanced XLR floor operated mute switch. For example:

http://www.orchid-electronics.co.uk/...d_mic_mute.htm (Europe)

http://www.procosound.com/cdso (US)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ic_Switch.html (US)

You need a latching vs. momentary type.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I replaced 1 mic cable end with a Nutrik one with a Ring switch..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I don't recommend connecting via an xlr with an on/off switch placed in a pocket. I tried one, then another one, for about 3 months time and over four or five gigs. The first one I tried (cheap) made unwanted noise and I found that an occasional odd movement while onstage would turn it off or on. The second one (nutrik) was better, but it was quite a large piece of gadgetry and did not fit well in my pocket. I think it could work ok if you also made some kind of belt-loop nutrik bag that also gave you easy access, both to the on/off switch and to the schertler connector.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Well done soldering connection and Nutrik a German company I believe
    Is Not cheaply made .. which are you referring To?

the main issue is the tiny cable from the pickup to its XLR jack ..

I would rather step on a Mic cable than the one from the pickup.

I have a vest with a zipper pocket It seems to do the job.

(not that I get many Here ) so I have to keep costs down.

Tip jar had an echo in it.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I second moving the Dyn-M around. Maybe have someone slowly move it around while you're playing until you find a tone you can work with?
    I've been using the Dyn-M for about a year on my MD315 and have placed it in all the "tried and true" suggestions only to find two locations that sound good to my ears with out having to EQ the crap out of it. My go-to placement always ends up between the point and the treble side sound hole; the other location being the treble side of the fret board by the 20th fret which is damn near impossible for me to play with out raking the pickup- so that's out... which is a shame because it sounds pretty close to the real deal there. All other placements have been too hot and way too "honky/midrangey to be usable.
    Last edited by Fingers; Jan-10-2016 at 2:45pm. Reason: repeat of another member's post