Thread: Musician's nightmare...

I experienced a real musician's nightmare last Saturday afternoon. While moving furniture in an old country church that we are renovating into a dwelling my left ring finger was badly crushed. I have been to the hospital twice for initial treatment and follow-up and to the orthopedic surgeon today, the finger above the first joint is pretty well shot...compound fracture into 5 different pieces, nail bed destroyed, severe lacerations. Not a pretty site. There is some concern about the possibility of infection setting in, as we had quite a drive in from the country to the hospital and had to use what was available to staunch the blood. They put an IV in immediately and have me on Keflex for a while, hopefully everything will be OK. More x-rays next Monday and we'll know more about the next step.

I'd appreciate any prayers if you are so inclined, if not just wish me luck. We're staying at a relative's while we move a trailer in beside the church, so my Cafe time is a mite limited, but I'll still pop in from time to time. God bless y'all.

Gospelmando

RedLine A-5 #14
    Howard Morris Flat Top #337
    1936 Gibson A-50

Oh man. So sorry about your injury. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.
    Bob DeVellis

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear about your injury.Thats pretty much standard treatment for an injury like that.The antibiotics will decrease the likelihood of an infection in the tissue or bone.Do exactly as your ortho MD advises and follow up as instructed.Should heal without complications though.Good luck!! Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I hope the digit comes back into service. It may take some time to get fully functional. Make sure the doc knows you avocation of pickin' mando so he can make recommendations.
    "If you've got time to breathe, you've got time for music," Briscoe Darling

Ditto on telling the Doc about being a mando player. I sliced my middle fingertip, left hand, a few years ago. When the Doc came in I expressed my concern about the fact that I was a musician, He called in another Doctor to do the sewing, 32 stitches later, and about a year of healing you cannot tell anything ever happened. There's a scar and my finger gets cold in the winter, but it dosen't bother me to play at all. They can do it, you just have to make them
    slow down and do it right.

Get well soon, and good luck.
    My Grass is Blue

I am sorry about your injury and you will be in my prayers. Hope your fingers is ready to pick on soon!

Sorry about your injury. #I too am recovering - I caught my left index finger in a tool grinder and ground 1 side nearly to the bone...there was nothing to stich up. #I'm about 4+ weeks out from the injury and although the wound has healed well, my finger tip and the side of my finger are still numb..makes playing very difficult. #As part of your recovery/therapy, you may want to consider having your doctor send you to and occupational therapist who specializes in hands.

Best of luck,

Herd

Registered Person

Good luck with it Steve, if it's any encouragement, read about Django Rheinhardt 2 fingers fused together from, I think a burn. Played like an angel still.

That's a drag, but the human body is capable of miraculous recovery; I crushed my finger tip once and it has healed perfectly (the Dr. was told very clearly that I needed that finger to play) God bless and get well soon...
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Gospelmando, I'll pray for you. That sounds like an awful injury. I sure hope it heals well and heals quickly.

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

My prayers to you for a speedy recovery...things like that shouldnt happen in a church

Prayers and best of luck for a complete recovery!
    Gibson A-9
    Fender FM-63
    Gibson A-12
    (Just for starters.......)

Sorry to hear about your injury. I'll pray for your quick and complete recovery.
    You can't have everything--and if you did, where would you put it?

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Here's hoping not just for full recovery, but for unexpected gain such as I experienced. Due to an especially stupid work-related accident when I was a teenager, I sliced off the tip of my left middle finger. We got the piece reattached, and now I have a thick pad that can fret, slide, hammer, and pull-off without ever getting sore. Good luck. -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Oh, man. That's tough. Add my prayers to the rest of your buddies here. Don't be totally discouraged, medicine is capable of great things thast you wouldn't have believed even ten years ago!

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Steve,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Gods' Speed in your recovery!!!!
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Default Re: Musician's nightmare...

Sorry about your injury. Use the 'downtime' listening to the great stuff on Mando Cafe mp3 !!!

Should be healed by now...

I hope so, it's been seven years since he posted.