Thread: Which Mando did Dawg use?

Default Which Mando did Dawg use?

Hi, does anyone know what mandolin Dawg used on the Acoustic Christmas album?
    I feel like a lot of videos that I've seen of him from this time period he is using his Monteleone. I listen to that album so much and have fallen in love with the sound of that instrument so I'm just curious. And yes I know with Dawg most of the tone comes from him, but the mandolins are a significant factor too.

Thanks,
    D

Default Re: Which Mando did Dawg use?

Hi officespace-

looking carefully through the printed insert from the cd case, there is a picture of Dawg in a Santa suit holding the Monteleone. However- in the production notes on the same page (different from the credits for who's playing what on which tune)- "Mandolins- Kentucky, Lloyd Loar, John Monteleone, & Robert Steinegger."

Seems like he might have used different instruments on different cuts. Might be a little hard to sort out.

A longer list of "Special Thanks" happens to include Steve Gilchrist among 13 other names. Considering how specific the mandolin list is, though, looks like Dawg might not have played a Gilchrist instrument on the album.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Bass For This Useful Post:

"What child is this?" sounds like a round hole model.

5. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Henry you're absolutely right. I played a '24 Gibson A-4 snakehead on "What Child is This?" (same one I used on Tone Poems). I also used a great sounding Kentucky KM-1500 on the Respighi piece and other cuts. Later I gave that mandolin to Joe Craven. The piano/mandolin intro to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" features a Vega cylinder-back and I'm sure my '25 Fern F-5 was involved as well on some tracks. For the record, "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" was a duet with the original voice of Donald Duck, Clarence "Ducky" Nash (also a mandolin player in Vaudeville) who recorded it with me in a LA studio two hours before the LP was mastered. For some strange reason, the Disney organization wouldn't let me give him credit. Hope this helps to clarify the original question. Season's greetings to all y'all in the ever-widening mando community!

7. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Dawg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Henry you're absolutely right. I played a '24 Gibson A-4 snakehead on "What Child is This?" (same one I used on Tone Poems). I also used a great sounding Kentucky KM-1500 on the Respighi piece and other cuts. Later I gave that mandolin to Joe Craven. The piano/mandolin intro to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" features a Vega cylinder-back and I'm sure my '25 Fern F-5 was involved as well on some tracks. For the record, "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" was a duet with the original voice of Donald Duck, Clarence "Ducky" Nash (also a mandolin player in Vaudeville) who recorded it with me in a LA studio two hours before the LP was mastered. For some strange reason, the Disney organization wouldn't let me give him credit. Hope this helps to clarify the original question. Season's greetings to all y'all in the ever-widening mando community!
    So, after reading the OP, my first thought was, "Why don't you just ask him?" I was thinking to try either a pm here or a contact through Acoustic Oasis, but there it is! Thanks, Dawg! Gotta love it!
    Chuck

9. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Since you are still online, I am going to hijack this thread. About a decade ago you played at Purdue U. I bought your Christmas CD and had you autograph it for my father. He had just recovered from open heart surgery. He has since passed and I have that autographed CD. I will treasure it for life!

Thank you for all the great music!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkdboyd For This Useful Post:

Mr. Grisman,

The Book of the Dawg: Christmas Dawg

Got your other three books; they are wonderful. A Christmas version would be pretty cool!

13. The following members say thank you to tkdboyd for this post:

By far my favorite Christmas CD and probably top 10 all CDs. I even wait until the week of Christmas to listen to it so I don't overplay it. The recording quality is so good.

15. The following members say thank you to coletrickle for this post:

When Santa asked me what I wanted for Christmas my response was,

I want there to be a live dvd version of the Acoustic Christmas Album.
    Wether it be something that was filmed and never released or something filmed now.
    I even think if there is some studio footage from that recording it would be beyond words.
    I can't speak for everyone else on here, but I'm willing to bet that if such dvd
    was created it would be on everyone's tv every year.

There is something about the analog quality of that album and those arrangements that I just can't get over.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

It would be really cool to hear how Dawg 'discovered' the mandolin talents of Clarence Nash and how the recording session came to be. Especially since it's never been documented, perhaps because of the limitations of the Disney Company at the time. A real piece of mandolin history!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

18. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

How exceptionally cool of you to chime in Mr. Grisman!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWilliam For This Useful Post:

I always wanted to know which mando was used on the Skaggs & Rice album where Ricky thanks Mr. Grisman for use of his mandolin. I think there must be various mandolins used as most tracks here as well - they all sound great but different. The opening track for example "Bury me beneath the willow" has the holy grail tone for me. I assumed it was the loar?

Quote Originally Posted by Tempotantrum View Post
    I always wanted to know which mando was used on the Skaggs & Rice album where Ricky thanks Mr. Grisman for use of his mandolin. I think there must be various mandolins used as most tracks here as well - they all sound great but different. The opening track for example "Bury me beneath the willow" has the holy grail tone for me. I assumed it was the loar?
    I believe it was David's Famous Fern that Ricky used for this recording... I'll leave the facts to the experts and/or those "in the know".

23. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Smile Re: Which Mando did Dawg use?

Hi Dawg,
    I bought a 1987 Kentucky KM1500 from Marc in Petaluma in 2013. He told me that he asked you, about 20 years ago, if you knew any mandolins in his price range. You said that a friend of yours was selling one and Marc bought it. I'm wondering if the one I bought from Marc could be the one you played and then gave to Joe Craven. I really love this mandolin, and so does my teacher, Sharon Gilchrist. I feel really lucky to have it.
    Reva aka Flabbyfabby

Joe was still playing his Kentucky 1500 more recently than 20 years ago. As far as I know, he still has it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hi Mrmando,

Thanks for the info. I've always been curious about my mandolin's history but from what you've said it sounds like the David Grisman/Joe Craven connection isn't part of it. I'll just continue to keep my eyes and ears open, and meantime really enjoy my mandolin.

Dang. And here I always thought Dawg's famous fern was a '27, the one played with OAITW, Muleskinner. But, it's a '25, straight from the Dawg's own mouth.

I'm honored that he took the time to come on here and fill us all in on what he used on that magical Christmas album...
    Thank you Dawg!