Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no Italian genre?

Default Why no Italian genre?

We have genre sub-forums for many styles of music. Why not one for Italian?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Why no Italian genre?

This seems to be subsumed under Celtic, etc, which includes European Folk. If enough people wanted this as a separate category, Scott might consider adding it? You could start a second Italian revolution.

I'll second that thought! Too distinct not to be a forum all to it's own.

Or at the very least, include "Italian" in the title of the "Classical, Medieval, Renaissance" forum where it all seems to end up anyway.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minuteman For This Useful Post:

Too many different styles of music for them all to get their own sub-forum. I'd imagine the Italian style crowd here just isn't big enough to warrant it.

Even the Old-Time style has to get lumped in with others (Tex-Mex and Cajun), and there are a lot more OT players here than Italian, from what I've seen.

Without Italian, there would be no mandolin!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

This would be a perfect opportunity to start a new social group. It's not difficult.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Too many sub-forums make it harder to scroll through the site. But I agree that Italian music is important enough -- for the history of the instrument especially -- to get a little more recognition, instead of being lumped in with "European."

Maybe it could just be added to the sub-forum name? Drop the periods from "U.K." to save space, and call it "Celtic, UK, Nordic, Quebecois, Italian, European Folk." It would be the same number of characters as "Jazz, Swing, Blues, Bossa, Choro, Klezmer, Ragtime."

Besides, if Italian music does get its own sub-forum, then I'm going to lobby for splitting out the awful commercial word "Celtic" into something better like "Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton, Shetland, and Breton" music.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    This would be a perfect opportunity to start a new social group. It's not difficult.
    There already is one, but it's effectively defunct. The social groups are a bit of an oddity, with only one of them (the fabulous Song-A-Week group) being at all busy. Generally, there is no good reason not to post on the main forum instead.

As far as Italian is concerned, I post them to the "Celtic/.../European Folk" forum, and so do most others interested in that genre. It's usually very obvious which threads are about Italian pieces, and it's not a fabulously busy forum so we may as well continue to do so.

Martin

13. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Maybe it could just be added to the sub-forum name? Drop the periods from "U.K." to save space, and call it "Celtic, UK, Nordic, Quebecois, Italian, European Folk." It would be the same number of characters as "Jazz, Swing, Blues, Bossa, Choro, Klezmer, Ragtime."

That category is far too wide and the various musics are NOT related very much.

There should be a "Celtic" - British Isles - Irish - Scottish - Welsh - etc. category.

And at least Quebecois should be with the musics of the Americas

If no special category just to honor the fact that Italian music on mandolin started the whole ball rolling, at least make "European Folk" (non-Celtic) a unique category.

15. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

{kidding}

I propose we just streamline the forum into 2 categories:

1) Bluegrass
    2) No part o' nothing

{\kidding}
    Think globally, bike locally.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to eadg145 For This Useful Post:

I'd probably post things in the Classical Music sub forum .. Italian composers
    (and, say, Partisan Rallying songs from WW2)*

though Community, a social group around this style can be done , & began by yourself.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php

though contemporary Italians play all sorts of Music styles..

*heard Bella Ciao, done in a Klezmer-NewOrleans like arraignment that sounded great.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

It's Scott's call, I guess. My assumption is that some sub-forums might have been demand-driven, but I agree that the current list is fairly streamlined enough for easy navigation. I can see the argument for an Italian section but would not appreciate everything being Balkanized. I play mostly Italian music and I know where to find y'all…..

I would be probably satisfied with more rigorous thread naming behavior. There have probably been a half dozen different versions of "What Italian Songs Should I Play?" threads here. Instead of doing a search folks just start another thread. Just naming a thread "Italian Music" and being scrupulous about posting there might go a long way, David. Look what it has done for "Bowlbacks of Note"--probably the best comprehensive resource for information about bowl back mandolins on the web. A thread named "Italian Music of Note" that folks were rigorous about posting in could be an easy answer.

I'm not sure if the MC format allows for tagging but that might also allow a different sorting method to help find like-minded posts. It does seem that the tagging method gets pretty overused and saturated in other situations so it might not be a panacea.

i miei due centesimi,

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

20. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Blog Entries

Don't mind adding a category if warranted. In 17 years of running this Forum no one asked which is telling. And yes, I've heard, "you haven't heard it because there isn't one. Build it and they will come in droves." Doesn't work that way.

Not convinced it's necessary but can be swayed if proven.

How does it not fit into:

• Classical, Medieval, Renaissance
    • Celtic, U.K., Nordic, Quebecois, European Folk

And how is it so separate from similar styles already listed that it warrants a separate category? And if it was given a category, how many similar styles around the world might merit the same? See the issue?

As a forum owner I'm wary of "Forum Creep" or "Forum Bloat," the problem of listing so many categories that from a usability point it becomes overwhelming to users.

Lumping of categories is a necessity. A good part of the traditional bluegrass crowd despises anything that doesn't carry Bill Monroe's stamp of approval but lumping bluegrass and newgrass together is a necessity. They're from the roots of the same tree. Otherwise you open up a page that makes you just want to hit the back button it's so overwhelming.

Here's a request: provide links to 10-15 discussions that have occurred in the past 30 days which would be specific to just an Italian category in and of itself, and not fit into an existing Forum and I'll consider it. I can see adding "Italian" into the Classical, Medieval, Renaissance area as I think that's a fit but will await replies.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

how many similar styles around the world might merit the same?
    For example the sub-category "German Christmas songs played Italian style" is clearly missing.

With fitting Italian into a category , I see the problem, that it has to be defined, whether it's composed mandolin music such as Calace or just songs such as "Tu vuo fa l'americano".

OK Calace belongs into the classical section, while Carusone might even find a place in the rock section.
    But where to put "O sole mio"?

24. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    {kidding}

I propose we just streamline the forum into 2 categories:

1) Bluegrass
    2) No part o' nothing

{\kidding}
    Makes a lot of sense in a way.

My dobro and I fit in the second category:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post

How does it not fit into:

• Classical, Medieval, Renaissance
    • Celtic, U.K., Nordic, Quebecois, European Folk

Here's a request: provide links to 10-15 discussions that have occurred in the past 30 days which would be specific to just an Italian category in and of itself, and not fit into an existing Forum and I'll consider it. I can see adding "Italian" into the Classical, Medieval, Renaissance area as I think that's a fit but will await replies.
    It fits WAY better in the Classical etc. category than any of the others, and thanks for your consideration.

26. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Blog Entries

Classical, Italian, Medieval, Renaissance it is. Done.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

I'm glad this has come to an agreeable closure. Now that it's done, I'll come clean here. I've *always* been overwhelmed by the number of categories on the forum, so the way I view MC (nearly daily, sometimes more often) is via the "new posts" link. C'mon now, surely I'm not the only one?

PS: I supported a separate section because I have a personal interest in Italian mandolin music and would use such a category to discover new arrangements.
    Last edited by eadg145; Dec-13-2015 at 5:36pm. Reason: PS
    Think globally, bike locally.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eadg145 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

That's going to get an awful lot of folk music being stuffed into the Classical Medieval and Renaissance category.
    There are several categories which cover Italian music already. Italian mandolin music covers many genres, most of what I think of as Italian would be folk music, unless you are referring to Italian school in classical playing (as against the German school playing). If it proves a popular subject it will really begin to make us look like we don't know how to categorise mandolin music.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I just think that the Italian tradition is closer to the classical than that of many other styles.

After all, even the language used for most dynamic markings and tempo, etc. in Classical music is Italian.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    I'm glad this has come to an agreeable closure. Now that it's done, I'll come clean here. I've *always* been overwhelmed by the number of categories on the forum, so the way I view MC (nearly daily, sometimes more often) is via the "new posts" link. C'mon now, surely I'm not the only one? ........
    No, there is at least one more. The only reason I go to a specific forum is to start a new thread. I count on the OP's thread topic and the 'hover the mouse to get a preview' feature to be a much more reliable indications of whether or not I want to peruse the discussion than the forum under which it was posted.

ps: almost forgot - yes, I think "Italian" being included with Classical is a better compromise than lumping it with Celtic, etc. But still a compromise. Can't please all the people all the time, though.
    Last edited by HonketyHank; Dec-13-2015 at 8:02pm. Reason: add ps

35. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    That's going to get an awful lot of folk music being stuffed into the Classical Medieval and Renaissance category.
    There are several categories which cover Italian music already. Italian mandolin music covers many genres, most of what I think of as Italian would be folk music, unless you are referring to Italian school in classical playing (as against the German school playing). If it proves a popular subject it will really begin to make us look like we don't know how to categorise mandolin music.
    That's a great thing about the mandolin, you can play so many sorts of music on it that it becomes impossible to make a "fair" breakdown of all the musical styles that it is comfortable with. I really like Duke Ellington's quote about music "there are two kinds of music, good music and the other kind".

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Yes. But that's the reality: regional Italian folk styles are deeply intertwined with classical mandolin traditions. So if we combine conversations about Italian folk and classical strains, we might get closer to Scott's guideline: that the need for a category is determined by the number of posts.

From a historical viewpoint: Italian mandolin is not just another European genre; it's at the root of American mandolin styles because the first wave of mandolin popularity (1880-1920) coincided with the great immigration of Italians to America -- which coincided with an era of Italian virtuoso mandolin music, which was also heard across Europe. But today our awareness is focused on the American mandolin's next wave of popularity, beginning with Bill Monroe.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

That was my first thought too, but the more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion, that categorizing music by genres is an approximation in most cases.
    I mean Elvis singing "It's now or never": Classical, European folk or even rock'n roll?
    Or fiddle tunes such as "Red haired boy": Old-Time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV5k6Hq4atc, Celtic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mbFHV7WNSQ or Bluegrass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0EkURtpyRg?

Yes, it sure is a compromise to put Italian into the classical sction, but to me, it's a fair one.
    And no one will keep you from posting a video of Carlo Aonzo playing "Tico Tico" in the jazz section.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:

Thanks to all of you putting up a good fight for the Italian category; my great grandfather would have been proud to hang here today!

j.
    www.condino.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	141750  

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post: