Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mandolin - a history has shipped

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default The Mandolin - a history has shipped

The copies of The Mandolin - a history that were ordered as part of the Kickstarter project were mailed from the printer on Friday. They should arrive at American addresses next week, hopefully the week after for those further afield. Book shops will have them in mid-January, but if you are desperate for holiday reading Martin Stillion (mrmando on the Cafe) has a few copies left which he can dispatch this week. I haven't seen a copy myself yet. Hopefully a couple will arrive here in the next day or do. Ebook versions in various flavours are also now available.

cheers

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Mandolin - a history has shipped

I just "flipped" through the ebook version last night. Wow! Great job! I can't wait to actually get the physical copy, sit down, and read it.

Thanks!

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

I am halfway through the ebook. I am very impressed by the book. Also am impressed at how much innovation and experimentation by so many different builders led to the development of this instrument. I wonder what it is about the mandolin that inspires such a willingness to experiment. Where instruments like the violin have been fixed for some time, the mandolin still seems to be evolving.

Wished I knew about the e version. I ordered the printed book thru martin. Amazon doesn't have the e version
    Many years ago, I decided I wanted to learn how to play the mandolin so I went out and bought a cheapo hondo mandolin. Had it for years, then in 2007 I purchased a Morgan Monroe MMS-4 Phantom of the Opry Mandolin. I retired the Hondo to a friend. Now in 2015, to keep the MMS-4 company, I have purchased a Gold Tone 800 Octave Mandolin. Maybe one day I will purchase a custom built Mandolin.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Where's the e-book?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Where's the e-book?
    Link on my website.

Graham,

I received your wonderful book yesterday--thank you, and congratulations on completing a fantastic project!

However, I received TWO copies, not just the one I had ordered. Please advise on how to forward it on.

Also: the pictures of my Vinaccias and my D'Angelico were credited to "MARK Vuksinich." I don't know if there is a Mark Vuksinich walking around on the planet. It doesn't bother me, or matter--I just thought you should know, in case there is ever a second printing, with errata noted.

Matt Vuksinich
    Alameda, California

Sorry Matt, error noted

That makes three people who have received two copies, and I may ask you to resend it if I get someone who did not get any and refund you the postage! Were both envelopes addressed to you or just two in the one package?

Cheers

Two separate envelopes, addressed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    Sorry Matt, error noted

That makes three people who have received two copies, and I may ask you to resend it if I get someone who did not get any and refund you the postage! Were both envelopes addressed to you or just two in the one package?

Cheers

Graham: I got mine the other day and flipped thru a bit. A monumental work. Very impressive and looking fwd to a long winter read.

Matt: perhaps you can share it with your evil doppelganger.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

My copy arrived yesterday. Encyclopedic. Gorgeous. Fascinating. A mandophile's dream book. Thank you, Graham - this is a major contribution to the literature on our beloved instrument.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Blog Entries

Still waiting.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Just got back from Christmas visit to the in-laws, and was SO relieved that out catsitter didn't let it sit out in the weather. WOW!

Ha... Didn't expect to see a tamburitza in a mandolin book! Buzzy Levine at Lark St. Music, now in northern NJ, tells of the Allman Bros.' Allen Woody walking into his shop, probably when it was in Albany NY, and noting, "Hey, you have a tamburitza." Last I looked, it's still there.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Blog Entries

I have a parcel waiting at the post office. Could it be...?
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Dare I mention that I've now read my copy cover to cover?

It's a great piece of work that will be everyone's go-to-reference for some time to come. I particularly enjoyed the HJW Tillyard quote: "...and as now the guitar, mandoline and banjo are hardly reckoned as instruments of music, so the use of such instruments in old time was a sign of declining taste".

My only complaint is that every time I turn a page my immediate reaction is "hey I want one of those!", but I can hardly blame Graham for my MAS affliction

Blog Entries

Yay! Received mine today.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Just got back from Christmas visit to the in-laws, and was SO relieved that out catsitter didn't let it sit out in the weather.
    This is funny, I was visiting my in-laws when it arrived, and it was our catsitter who set mine inside the door.

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Once I opened & flipped through my copy last night, I placed it beside me on the couch and started perusing the classifieds on my laptop when I happened to see an interesting looking Kay Kraft mandolin (NFI) and was thinking to myself "I wished I knew a little more about these". I then had a micro-epiphany! It occurred to me that Graham's book may actually have a section on Kay Krafts, so I turned to the index, and sure enough, on pages 153-4 there it was. Too cool. Thanks again Graham.

I received mine the 26th.
    I'm sharing a page with a cheese wedge and could not be happier.
    Eric Foulke
    Boots Mandolins

"Outside of a book, a dog is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Mine showed up today, I have to work tomorrow and after I get home and paperwork done, intend to use it a bedtime reading. I am looking forward to it!

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

My thanks not only to Graham, but also to Martin!
    Received my copy on New Years Eve. Great way to begin 2016.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Blog Entries

Mine arrived. It's a work of art.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

My copy has yet to arrive at my APO address. We get mail again in three or four days so I'm hopeful.
    Cheers,
    Dale

Got mine just before New Years. Lovely book; clearly a lot of effort went into it. Thanks, Graham!
    EdSherry

Official release date was yesterday (Tues 12 Jan). Any bookshop should be able to order in a copy for you. It is certainly available from Elderly Instruments and Gruhn Guitars as well as Amazon. I sent George Gruhn a copy and I will admit to being a little pleased when he wrote back the following (and used with permission):

"I spent a couple of hours looking at the book this morning and fully intend to spend much of the rest of this week trying to digest the information you have assembled. I can easily understand why it took you as long as 6 years for this project. While I am very familiar with major American makers such as Lyon & Healy, Martin, Gibson, the Larson brothers, Epiphone, and D'Angelico, as well as a number of modern builders of bluegrass style mandolins, I found an enormous amount of information in your book regarding historical instruments, the evolution of mandolins and related instruments, and even modern builders which is entirely new to me. I find this to be absolutely fascinating information. After over 50 years of collecting and dealing instruments and establishing a reputation as a knowledgeable dealer, I find it very refreshing to encounter a book which opens new vistas for me."

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post: