Thread: Holmgång by Ale Carr & Esko Järvelä

Default Holmgång by Ale Carr & Esko Järvelä

Just wanted to pass on a recommendation for this new album by Ale (cittern player from Sweden) and Esko (fiddle player from Finland). A really fine duo album of Scandinavian tunes that is unusual (in some ways) for being just the duo - no guest artists, little to no over-dubbing, just what you would hear in a live setting.

Ale's playing is very rhythmic and pretty intricate! Definitely something to inspire you and from which to steal as many ideas for your own playing as possible.

There are one or two good YouTube videos of them playing, and you can find the album on iTunes and Spotify.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niall Anderson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Holmgång by Ale Carr & Esko Järvelä

Lovely music, thanks for bringing it to our attention. I found this:

But I'm a little confused by their choice of the word "holmgång" for such beautiful music, searching for that word brings up some unrelated colorful history ... (also here) ... sounds like it served a necessary purpose in society at the time... and absolutely no disrespect intended but I guess I don't have the proper historical/cultural perspective because reading about "holmgång" my mind keeps wandering to Klingon honor ... anyway that tune I heard in the video above, is very beautiful music.

Blog Entries

Very nice tone on both instruments. A good recording. I really like their stuff but it is so much like all the other acoustic compositions out there. The melody does not go anywhere and despite some really nice double stops and ornaments and full rich chords and arpeggios I fall asleep about half way through.

Nowadays it seems that with all of the opportunities to study music that there would be more individual character to music. Esko adds some Scandinavian ornaments to the music, a really nice addition. So it is a start I guess. I like simple stuff but only for three minutes. And during that time I can think of a dozen other recording artists that it sounds like.
    Ouch, am I tough this morning....I love these guys.

I love this music and I want to play along. This is why we all buy instruments, or build them, and learn to play them at whatever level of expertise. Somehow, we all heard the birds and were driven to all this. I am so pleased to have heard this. Thank you for learning to play and then playing and letting us hear it. What a life,,, Thank you so much.