Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pava F5!

Default Re: Pava F5!

I had the pleasure of visiting Tom and Pava around Thanksgiving. Pava was in the midst of making her arrangements for Wintergrass. i'm sure her mandolins will be a big hit with the crowd.

That price is right around where you can get a used MF5. It's a tough price point to sell because you are competing with used mandolins from a lot of builders too.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    That price is right around where you can get a used MF5. It's a tough price point to sell because you are competing with used mandolins from a lot of builders too.
    You may be right as I have seen a few used Ellis F5's not much more than that but some people like them new so they can put their own dings in them.

4. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    You may be right as I have seen a few used Ellis F5's not much more than that but some people like them new so they can put their own dings in them.
    Wow, if you have seen used Ellis F5s in the $6500 range and you didn't buy them, you missed some golden opportunities! I don't believe I've ever seen one below the $8500 mark, and they're usually between $9K and $10K.

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Mandobar, if that were an issue, no one would buy new mandolins because that is the case across the board. No one would ever buy a new Collings when used are available at 70% of the price...but they do. No one would ever buy a new car... but they do. Pricing a new mandolin (made from someone with increasing notoriety, high level quality, etc...) at or below the used price of what is arguably the industry standard in readily available, quality mandolins is a very strong value proposition and will be attractive to many folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Mando Mike View Post
    Mandobar, if that were an issue, no one would buy new mandolins because that is the case across the board. No one would ever buy a new Collings when used are available at 70% of the price...but they do. No one would ever buy a new car... but they do. Pricing a new mandolin (made from someone with increasing notoriety, high level quality, etc...) at or below the used price of what is arguably the industry standard in readily available, quality mandolins is a very strong value proposition and will be attractive to many folks.
    Pricing in a narrow market is obviously a complex, multi-factorial issue. But I tend to agree, broadly, with the analysis above. You need to consider many things. But among the more important factors is what mandolins this item will compete with in the market, and what their prices may be.

Folks who tend to buy new are often (but not always) looking for something fundamentally different than folks who buy used. Some folks are willing to pay more, and in some cases, a lot more, for simply knowing that it's something new. And for knowing it's not scratched or worn or hides hidden flaws. And that it belongs "only" to them. Some folks like the reassurance of a new factory warranty, or a music store's backing. A good many buyers buy new because they seek customizations that are not readily available in the used market. Or they seek features that are mainly/only available on some new models. Or they seek a particular brand or model that doesn't come up very often in the used market. Or a model that might not be available at exactly the time they're in the market to buy. Or they may have had a bad prior experience with a used instrument, and have limited trust in buying that way (this happens a lot). And on an on.

The fact is that there is a decent market for both new and used instruments, and there is only partial crossover between these.

8. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Wow, if you have seen used Ellis F5s in the $6500 range and you didn't buy them, you missed some golden opportunities! I don't believe I've ever seen one below the $8500 mark, and they're usually between $9K and $10K.
    I have seen a couple of used ones in the 7500- 8000 range but not many. I would not sell my Ellis F5 for new price however !

I played the Pava F5 at Wintergrass and it is a fine instrument. Priced at $6,500 and I would not hesitate to buy it if I wasn't already knee-deep in good mandolins.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobrem For This Useful Post:

The fact is that many of the best sounding F5's from the Ellis workshop that went out in the last 12 months were graduated and assembled by Pava K. Tom mentioned this in a post... so it's about time that she begin building them under her own mark. I don't think this will undermine Tom's work or pricepoint, as Pava will likely not use AAAAA backs, may not bind the back or neck/fingerboard, and won't offer much in the way of custom offerings... maintaining a differentiation between the two brands. That being said, sonically she makes some of the best damn instruments in the world. It's a very smart move to help her further establish her brand. They are taking a very gradual approach to building out Pava, and It shows how small business owners can work together to succeed.. what a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    The fact is that many of the best sounding F5's from the Ellis workshop that went out in the last 12 months were graduated and assembled by Pava K. Tom mentioned this in a post... so it's about time that she begin building them under her own mark
    Not to be too nit-picky, but Tom mentioned back in late 2014 that while Pava is doing most of the initial assembly of the Ellis mandolins, he is doing all of the carving, graduating and tone-barring. So Tom is still doing a lot of the core things that makes Ellis mandolins sound.. Ellis-y.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...59#post1279059

As a proud Pava owner, I can't wait to see the finished F5 in its full glory.

14. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Not to be too nit-picky, but Tom mentioned back in late 2014 that while Pava is doing most of the initial assembly of the Ellis mandolins, he is doing all of the carving, graduating and tone-barring. So Tom is still doing a lot of the core things that makes Ellis mandolins sound.. Ellis-y...
    I think you're generallly correct Clement, but in lieu of what Austin, TX local Capt. E. posted below, I wonder if she's getting to do more graduation work on the "Ellis" brand now that apparently she could be in the process of being groomed to take over the business..

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    Pava Knezevic's story of how she came to work with Tom Ellis is quite interesting and I see her as Tom's equal in most ways. Tom has been grooming Pava to "take over" more and more of the work in the shop, cultivating her skills and talents. Tom has cut back on his hours in the shop and I know "retirement" is in his mind. I don't believe any of his kids have any interest in building mandolin. Pava seems to be his "heir". The fact that she is now producing an F5 mandolin is a further indication of this. My conclusion is: If you want to purchase an Ellis F5 (or any other Ellis model) do it sooner than later. A Pava is, of course, a completely worthy alternative.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

16. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Speaking as an American, the part I find so beautiful and fascinating in the Pava story, is the "land of opportunity" aspect to it. Someone comes here from another country, brings/learns a trade, works hard, and becomes a success. We live in a time of cynicism, and in some cases flat out despair, so things like this are a real bright spot for me. Hard work, diligence, craftsmanship, etc. may seem old-fashioned ideas, but in truth they are timeless. Great job, Pava!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Not to be too nit-picky, but Tom mentioned back in late 2014 that while Pava is doing most of the initial assembly of the Ellis mandolins, he is doing all of the carving, graduating and tone-barring. So Tom is still doing a lot of the core things that makes Ellis mandolins sound.. Ellis-y.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...59#post1279059

As a proud Pava owner, I can't wait to see the finished F5 in its full glory.
    Clement, Tom made a post in late 2015 that inferred he was having Pava do graduation and shaping.

20. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    Clement, Tom made a post in late 2015 that inferred he was having Pava do graduation and shaping.
    Where did he post that? I searched his forum posts here at the Cafe and didn't see anything.

When I last spoke to Tom (summer 2014) he pretty much said what was stated in the referenced thread from April 2014: that he did all the shaping/sanding/graduating and tone bar work on the Ellis line.

Who cares, how do they sound? Tom's business.

And Caleb, what you said. . .

this has been posted here on the Cafe in the past, but i think its an appropriate time to repost the link-nice article on Pava

http://www.themandolinplayer.net/pava-knesevic

Every day I play my Pava I am amazed at what it will do. Bark? yes. Sweet? No problem. Dark and deep? yep. It never fails to deliver.

I am so flipped out about an F style and an oval that I can hardly believe it..

I think that there is real magic coming out of Tom's shop.

Here's a pic of the Pava F5 at Wintergrass & ph pic tooClick image for larger version. 

Name:	12496363_991298407585197_485880487598905138_o.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	318.2 KB 
ID:	144229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pava F ph 009.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	144230
    Tom H. Ellis
    Ellis Mandolins
    Austin, TX
    http://www.ellismandolins.com

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ellisppi For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Hey Tom, thanks for posting these. What kind of tuners is Pava putting on her F5?

Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ellisppi View Post
    Here's a pic of the Pava F5 at Wintergrass & ph pic tooClick image for larger version. 

Name:	12496363_991298407585197_485880487598905138_o.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	318.2 KB 
ID:	144229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pava F ph 009.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	144230
    Thanks, Tom. I think Pava said it has Carpathian top, correct?

Hi Tom - Many thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing one over here at TAMCO sometime,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hi Ivan,

I have one on order.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

31. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

I got to play the Pava and Ellis F5 at Wintergrass. It was the first time I have tried their offerings and thought they were good. There were quite a few instruments in the room I would have picked over the Pava/Ellis, regardless of price. I've heard so much about Ellis and Pava on here that I guess I had pretty high expectations. Don't get me wrong, they were beautiful and played nice, but Austin Clark had his table 6 feet away and his offerings grabbed my ears and attention.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I placed my order last week for a set of twins. One is a blonde one piece back F and the other is a blonde one piece A. The numbers will be one apart. Never owned a blonde mandolin so this is a little new for me.....but....As a dealer for Pava's, I'm actually thinking I will keep these two for my son.
    I also have a later F coming that I will probably stick with sunburst on. Got an A pro blonde two piece coming soon too and the last of the one piece A's they did without up charging for it. I guess I'll have more Pava's than I've ever had at once to play against each other. Pretty excited about the F!!!!!

34. The following members say thank you to rippeymandos for this post:

Looking forward to playing a Pava in the future. I'm curious if it sounds anything close to an Ellis varnished mandolin. Wish they offered a shortened fingerboard extension similar to the Ellis. I hate pick click.