Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pava F5!

Default Re: Pava F5!

From nickster - "Wish they offered a shortened fingerboard extension....". Are you getting mixed up with another make of mandolin ?. ALL the Pavas have a short fingerboard - see post # 68 / 70,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Yes, Ivan is correct - if you look at the photos in this thread, the Pava models (both A and F) have abbreviated fretboards with 22 frets. The Ellis F models also have 22 frets, with frets 20-22 being only partial frets for the treble side. Pava models have 22 full frets for all strings, but both will play the same when it comes to pick click, or lack thereof.

I stand corrected on number of frets. Suffering from Chemo brain. 1st treatment was 7 days ago. I do prefer the look of the Ellis fingerboard but I know that is extra labor that would drive cost. I've played both the Ellis F5 and A5 models and love the neck feel in my left hand. I guess I'll have to buy an Ellis if I survive the treatments.

Sorry to hear about that, nickster. I agree, though, buying an Ellis would be a nice reward to look forward to, if it helps you endure the chemo!

I'm sure someone with building/luthier experience would have more valuable input, but I would doubt that the Ellis-style extension is really any more work than the Pava-style extension. Both of them have some curvature and a point, so the work on the binding and cutting is pretty much the same. Both have the same number of frets that have to be cut, set, and dressed. I wouldn't see how the half-frets of the Ellis would necessarily be more work in that regard. But I could be wrong. I would guess that Pava went with the style she chose, just as a stylistic difference and not a cost-cutting measure.

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    I guess I'll have to buy an Ellis if I survive the treatments.
    I think it's safe to say that you will have earned it by that point.

An Ellis mandolin would definitely be something to look forward too. I knew chemo wouldn't be a cakewalk going in. Thanks for the encouragement. Tom Ellis imho is a great luthier that has surrounded himself with excellent people in his shop. When you look up close it's impossible to find a flaw anywhere in workmanship.

Plays Well With Others Nate Lee's Avatar

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it when searching for a thread for someone else and have something to ad. Here's a video I made recently of Pava F #189 that you guys may find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJHmUg7gQU
    Nate Lee
    Music Teacher
    Mandolin Player & Twin Fiddler for the Becky Buller Band.
    Proud owner of Pava mandolins #83 & #194
    www.TheNateLee.com
    www.PlayNately.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nate Lee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Lee View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I came across it when searching for a thread for someone else and have something to ad. Here's a video I made recently of Pava F #189 that you guys may find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJHmUg7gQU
    Nice!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra