Thread: Smaller case for my Phoenix

Default Smaller case for my Phoenix

I love my new Phoenix Neoclassical so much so that I am giving serious thought to going mando-monogamous. If I do, I would need to take it along when I travel by train. The Hiscox case it came in is really nice and highly protective (great case), but it is just to large for that purpose.

When I travel by train, my mandolin stays with me at my seat. For this reason, it is not exposed to any excessive trauma (I am really careful with it). I have done a lot of this travel with one of the rigid foam Guardians. The Phoenix is a two-point, however, and won't fit in my 'A' cases. I would appreciate learning your views on which case will fit the Phoenix well, yet will have the smallest outside dimension and still offer a fair amount of protection?

I am thinking of something small, shaped and light, not necessarilly something strong enough for airline travel. A Calton seems like overkill for this purpose, yet if nothing better comes to mind, I might spring for one. Afterall, if I go down to just one mandolin, it will see a lot of use. In that case, I wouldn't need the Hiscox any more. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Thanks and best wishes, Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Default Re: Smaller case for my Phoenix

For some time Rolfe used the Eastman fiberglass cases for his mandolins. You might call one of his dealers and see if they can tell you what cases they have on hand that the Phoenix mandolins fit into.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

garded

I would think any shaped F style case would work. What about a Travelite? The great thing about putting something like an A or 3pt in a F case is the extra space for the scroll is great storage for tuner and wipe down bandana.

Thanks for Don and Tony, for your replies. I will check with the dealer I purchased it from, as suggested. I think the Travelite is a good suggestion, and one I am considering. I may also check with Mr. Gerhardt, the Luthier who builds these gems. Perhaps some other Phoenix owners will reply with their case experiences.

Thanks again, Bob

Hi Bob,
    When did you get the Neoclassical? Is it new or used. That is one of my favorite mandolins if all time. I've got to check it out sometime.
    I agree with the Travelite suggestion. Very good case and very lightweight. I would think it would fit the Phoenix.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Hi Larry, good to hear from you.

I've only had it a few weeks. I bought it new from The Mandolin Store. They are as great to deal with as everyone says.

Looks like a Travelite might be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Starting in about two weeks, I have a few weeks that are a little slower. Let's see if we can find a time to get together then. I'll PM you (or you can PM me) right after the holidays.

I like the Eastman FG case I got * , the 2 point in an F5 case will be fine..
    The new ones also fit F4, too .
    FG is a single layer, so not that heavy, & is shaped close fitting.

Add a space filler behind the headstock [(DIY?) Make another compartment ]
    & to resist potential Whiplash damage if dropped ..

* a big plus, IMO, the back pack carrying via 3 D rings on the case back..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

8. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

A friend of mine uses the Eastman case for his Phoenix and works alright for him. Not much storage though. Someone else I know just purchased the gator version of a travelight. It was really decent for the price and less bulky than a travelight. I've been using a reunion blues continental tenor uke case which might fit your two point. Let us know which you decide to purchase!

10. The following members say thank you to Mando-ish for this post: