Thread: Not expensive Mandola/mandolin with long neck, any suggestions?

Default Not expensive Mandola/mandolin with long neck, any suggestions?

Hi

for some time I was thinking about having a strange instrument, mandolin/mandola with long neck tuned DAEB, with mandolin strings

I've did some research and I see that some luthiers do make this kind of instrument:
    - Graham McDonald - http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/mandolin.html, see part about mandola with 18.5 scale length
    - Stefen Sobell - http://www.sobellguitars.com/long-neck-mandolin-project

I'd like to try this approach but I'm not ready to spend the fortune on a custom instrument, so do you think there're any alternatives?
    basically what I'd like to have is mandola/mandolin with scale length around 18''-19''

Default Re: Not expensive Mandola/mandolin with long neck, any suggestion

octave mandolin scale is slightly above 20", at least for the Trinity College brand (i think it's the same company as Kentucky mandolins). Goldtone is the other entry level OM.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

3. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

I have an APC Carvahlo mandola with a 47cm (18.5") scale length that I tune DAEB like that to good effect.

It's a really nice instrument with a great big sound. My only complaint about it is that the neck is wider than I'd like.

They're cheap too: I got mine for around 275 Euro from Kieran Moloney music.
    Last edited by jeho2a; Dec-03-2015 at 6:30am. Reason: added imperial units

5. The following members say thank you to jeho2a for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeho2a View Post
    I have an APC Carvahlo mandola with a 47cm (18.5") scale length that I tune DAEB like that to good effect.

It's a really nice instrument with a great big sound. My only complaint about it is that the neck is wider than I'd like.

They're cheap too: I got mine for around 275 Euro from Kieran Moloney music.
    Thanks, this could be the way to go if I want to test it! I'd prefer slimmer neck and more open frets, but for 275 Euro one couldn't desire too much
    BTW, do you use mandolin or mandola strings for DAEB?

fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com has a couple of Gold Tone OM's right now for < $1K

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I've seen some cheap om with 19" or 20" on ebay if you really want to try one yhey where flat top and really cheap here is a mandola $59.99 or best offer scale length is 19 1/4" and the nut width is 1 1/2" i bought a similar one for a friend he still has it and plays it

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mandola-Tear-d...061?nav=SEARCH
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

9. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Pekar View Post
    Thanks, this could be the way to go if I want to test it! I'd prefer slimmer neck and more open frets, but for 275 Euro one couldn't desire too much
    BTW, do you use mandolin or mandola strings for DAEB?
    I've been using custom sets, but they're v. close to standard mandolin sets though. I use gauges: 38,24,15,10, so only the E string is slightly different from standard.
    Last edited by jeho2a; Dec-03-2015 at 8:50am. Reason: added quote for context

Just buy a mandola and stick a capo on the second fret.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Doland View Post
    Just buy a mandola and stick a capo on the second fret.
    Indeed, that's how I started. But once I realized I'd never be taking the capo off I changed to full DAEB tuning
    with the advantages of extra tone from the full string length and the possibility of capo-ing at the fifth fret for mandolin
    tuning when necessary. It's probably a highly specialized set-up though, for e.g., Irish music.

Quote Originally Posted by jeho2a View Post
    ...advantages of extra tone from the full string length and the possibility of capo-ing at the fifth fret for mandolin tuning when necessary...
    'Extended mandolin' is indeed what I want to try. Probably should be nice for old-time as well

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Pekar View Post
    I'd like to try this approach but I'm not ready to spend the fortune on a custom instrument, so do you think there're any alternatives?
    basically what I'd like to have is mandola/mandolin with scale length around 18''-19''
    Get a waldzither. They are right in the scale length range you're looking for, can be strung with mandolin strings for DAEB tuning (with an optional additional heavy gauge single guitar string for a low G), and with a little bit of looking you can get a high-quality vintage one for much less money than any of the custom options you've been looking at.

I keep my waldzither in (G)DAEB tuning for precise the same reasons as you, and it works just fine. Most Irish fiddle tunes never go below D, so can be played in DAEB tuning. The high B string extends first position by a fifth, which covers just about all of the few Irish tunes that go into higher positions on fiddle.

Martin

15. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Blog Entries

I have been interested in DAEB tuning for a time. I think Martin nailed the key advantage - it extends first position up a fifth.

I have often wondered if GDAEB is not a more useful five course instrument than the CGDAE that one sees fairly often.

Good luck
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I have been interested in DAEB tuning for a time. I think Martin nailed the key advantage - it extends first position up a fifth.
    Yes, that's right: I find it's much easier to keep up with fast tunes than, say, on an octave mandolin.

I have often wondered if GDAEB is not a more useful five course instrument than the CGDAE that one sees fairly often.
    That's also my plan for the next instrument.

Nick Apollonio built just such a critter for me a couple years ago - 19" scale and designed for DAEB tuning. You might want to give him a call.

I also have a Weber Aspen mandola, 17" scale, that I also use in DAEB. String gauges of .042, .028, .020, and .011 at that tuning give the same total tension as is produced by Weber's recommended gauges at CGDA.

19. The following members say thank you to ptritz for this post: