Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vocal Mic For Live Performance

Default Vocal Mic For Live Performance

For all of you vocalist out there, I'm just curious to see what vocal mics singers are using for live performances. Are most people still using the SM58 and is it the staple of most stages or is there another mic taking its place?

Default Re: Vocal Mic For Live Performance

Most of the singers I know still prefer the workhorse SM-58, and many of them will request one even if the sound person has provided a higher-quality mic. They usually sound good to me from the audience side.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Hard to go wrong with an SM58. I'm still using one I got in the 70's and it is still good as new. It is still the mic I see onstage the most, but there are lots of other mics available.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Most of the singers I know still prefer the workhorse SM-58, and many of them will request one even if the sound person has provided a higher-quality mic. They usually sound good to me from the audience side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    Hard to go wrong with an SM58. I'm still using one I got in the 70's and it is still good as new. It is still the mic I see onstage the most, but there are lots of other mics available.
    I tried the SM58 once and it just didn't work for me. I never could get a good sound out of the mic. I'm not knocking it, it just didn't sound good with my voice. After the 58 didn't work for me, I tried and used the e835 Sennheiser for years.

I also use the Sennheiser e835. It's the same price as the SM58 and has a better sound for my baritone voice.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Yeah the e835 work pretty good for me and I used it for about 8 or 10 years

To tell the truth I wanted to get really upper tier performance mic and the one I would see time and time again was the Neumann KMS 105. But with a $600.00 price tag I just had a hard time justifying it.

So a couple of months ago I decided that was just too much to spend on a mic.

Therefore I got to looking for something a little less expensive but very similar. After a little research I was pointed toward the Shure beta 87A, so I bought one. It is the best mic I have ever heard, it is unbelievable in every sense of the word. Between a 10% discount and a $50 gift card I got for buying something else through a promo, I paid about $175 for the mic. It may be the best $175 I have ever spent.

Does anyone else have any experience with the Beta 87A??

Registered User Chunky But Funky's Avatar

EV ND767's and ND 967's here. Never really been a fan of the SM58. Thinking about those KMS 105's here too.

Doug
    Red Penguin Rentals & Red Penguin Remote- High end outboard recording rentals (Pgh, PA)
    Mics from Neuman, Korby Audio, Royer, Sennheiser & EV and Remote Recording featuring Mac Computers, Metric Halo Interfaces, Pro Tools & Logic

"Cedar makes for excellent soundhole sniffing"
    Steve Miklas - Acoustic Music Works

An SM58 is always a good bet and you really can't go wrong with one, however mine is a backup now. I like my Sennheiser e835 better. It just seems like a more crisp and lively mic. I opened for a buddy Halloween night and sang though his Mictech mic for an hour or so and it was probably the best sounding mic I've ever used. I think it's about a $200 mic. Heil mics are really dang good too.
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin
    '59 Gibson J-45 "Spot"
    '21 Gibson LG-2
    '94 Taylor 710
    '18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
    '22 Martin CEO7
    '15 Martin 000X1AE
    Fender Roadworn USA P-Bass "Big Al"

www.reverbnation.com/MickKyteMusic

Mics are like mandos. What one person likes, another may not. Our band has the shure 58 , the senn e835 , and the audix om and I've used all and they are all pretty similar. I use the e835 most but I like the shure58 just as well with the audixOM just behind these 2 because it pops more (as in plosives) and you have to get right up on it (tighter pattern--then again, the least feed back prone). For what we do they are all fine and frankly as rough as we are and as forgetful and as little as we get paid, its not worth spending any more. 99.99% of the audience could never tell the difference between the 3 although their dynamics/patterns vary slightly and you will tell subtle differences if a/b'd.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

We use the Shure beta 58, beta 57 and have the regular 58s and 57s as back ups.

you could go out and try a few at a music store, bring someone along to judge also.

Blog Entries

In really difficult rooms, the AKG D5 is very good, as is the EV N/D 767 and N/D 967 (though this does demand good mastery of the close mic technique). The EV PL80 is also very good. . Nice, hot outputs and excellent off-axis rejection. In more forgiving environments, there are many possible choices...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Have tried SM 57 and 58, Audix OM5, Sennheiser 935, Beta 58.

The whole band has landed on beta 58. Adds nice presence to less strong voices. I prefer the SM57 to the SM58. For my voice, I like them in this order 1) beta58, 2) Audix OM5, 3) SM57. I don't know why, but the Sennheiser does not do much for me. For a couple of the singers, the move from SM58 to beta58 was a dramatic improvement. Particularly effective for people who are not likely to "belt it out".

The SM58 is defiantly a close use mic, I usually roll off the mids a little to clean it up, some prefer the 57 as it has a little more proximity close up. I think as was said most will do the job, the 58 a little less prone to feedback if you need loud monitors.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

One thing to consider is how a mic will take abuse. When I was in high school, I had 2 EV mics that cost us some real money at the time. someone dropped it on the face, and it failed immediately. EV did send a new one, but we were without the mic for 3 weeks. Audix also has a reputation for baing a bit fragile. I have NEVER had a dynamic shure mic fail from rough handling. I prefer some other mics for sound, but Shure is the only vocal mic that I know I can beat the hell out of for 30 years and still have it work. That is money in the bank IMHO.

Also consider the environment. If you play in bars where the crowd is noisy, perhaps the high end condenser mics are not the greatest option. Whole different deal if you can count on a quite stage.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    The SM58 is defiantly a close use mic, I usually roll off the mids a little to clean it up, some prefer the 57 as it has a little more proximity close up. I think as was said most will do the job, the 58 a little less prone to feedback if you need loud monitors.
    I disagree about the SM57 vs 58 on feedback suppression. I do not get a huge difference. Now the Beta58 and particularly the Audix OM5 are noticeably better at feedback suppression. If I am worried about feedback, the OM5 wins from my collection.

The Wire Mesh Ball Does keep it from slipping out of your Hand ... AFAIK the 57 pits the same capsule closer to the end .

cardioid pattern and very close mic should be able to give you a bit of monitor placement flexibility ..

A Lot of other companies want a slice of Market share taken from the SM58 sales ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

You know I'm hearing a bunch of real positive things about the EV mics from a bunch of different people across all spectrums. It must be really something good about them. Plus for the price it would hurt to try, I think I will get me one of those for sure.

Has anyone had any experience with the Blue Encore series microphones both the dynamic and stage condenser? I've heard some pretty positive things about those as well.

Big AKG D5 fan here. I've used every mic mentioned so far on this thread at on time or another (apart from Blue Encore). The D5 sounds great, is built like a tank, wears well, has high output, rejects feedback very well and...it's a lot cheaper than a lot of the others. Sensational for the money; My oldest one is about 6 years old now, gigged heavily, and unmarked.
    Tim Mundy
    www.slipperyhill.co.uk
    2002 Gibson F5 Fern
    1920 Gibson A2
    2005 Gibson A5L
    Rigel A+ Deluxe Custom
    1926 Gibson TB1 Tenor Banjo
    1963 Epiphone TF28 Tenor Guitar
    Ovation MM868 Mandocello
    1987 Rob Armstrong Mandolinetto

Quote Originally Posted by MDMachiavelli View Post
    For all of you vocalist out there, I'm just curious to see what vocal mics singers are using for live performances.
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the Shure 55 series yet. I'd guess those are chosen mostly for their 'retro' appearance, but does anyone have any info about their actual sound quality and performance?

(Found a lot of 'Shure' threads, but nothing on the 55.)

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MDMachiavelli View Post
    You know I'm hearing a bunch of real positive things about the EV mics from a bunch of different people across all spectrums. It must be really something good about them. Plus for the price it would hurt to try, I think I will get me one of those for sure.

Has anyone had any experience with the Blue Encore series microphones both the dynamic and stage condenser? I've heard some pretty positive things about those as well.
    1) The EV's are a very nice mic, I'd actually say my absolute favorite of the range is the N/D 767. That has a super-hot output, excellent rejection of feedback, and simply sounds 'warm, but clear'. It is also very natural, and not 'boomy' when used really close. I find many vocalists really take to it. Usually requires very little messing with EQ. Easy to set up and (so far) never had a failure with any of them. It is a very flexible mic, in that it just seems to "sound good" with all kinds of singers/styles with no fuss.

2) Blue Mics. Yes. We have the Encore 100, 100i (instrument version) and the 200i (the copper top phantom powered model) in our 'contract' and hire gear inventory. I have used the 300, but we do not have one of our own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluemics.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	141458

I like the 100i best. Quite a nice dynamic instrument mic. I expected more of the 100 and 200, however. They SOUND nice... but they both have surprisingly low outputs (compared to Shure Beta, EV N/D's or AKG D5's). Also, much more prone to 'spill' pickup and consequently, not as resistant to feedback (the 200 especially). In a good room, they are fine, but can be hard work if you find yourself in a room where feedback is an issue. I like the EV N/D 767's and AKG D5's much better. As Tim says, those D5's are a really nice mic, and a bit of a life saver if you have to work a "room from hell" type venue. I have six of them... which tells you a lot about the places I often have to deal with!!!
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    1) The EV's are a very nice mic, I'd actually say my absolute favorite of the range is the N/D 767. That has a super-hot output, excellent rejection of feedback, and simply sounds 'warm, but clear'. It is also very natural, and not 'boomy' when used really close. I find many vocalists really take to it. Usually requires very little messing with EQ. Easy to set up and (so far) never had a failure with any of them. It is a very flexible mic, in that it just seems to "sound good" with all kinds of singers/styles with no fuss.

2) Blue Mics. Yes. We have the Encore 100, 100i (instrument version) and the 200i (the copper top phantom powered model) in our 'contract' and hire gear inventory. I have used the 300, but we do not have one of our own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluemics.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	141458

I like the 100i best. Quite a nice dynamic instrument mic. I expected more of the 100 and 200, however. They SOUND nice... but they both have surprisingly low outputs (compared to Shure Beta, EV N/D's or AKG D5's). Also, much more prone to 'spill' pickup and consequently, not as resistant to feedback (the 200 especially). In a good room, they are fine, but can be hard work if you find yourself in a room where feedback is an issue. I like the EV N/D 767's and AKG D5's much better. As Tim says, those D5's are a really nice mic, and a bit of a life saver if you have to work a "room from hell" type venue. I have six of them... which tells you a lot about the places I often have to deal with!!!
    Yeah, the N/D 767 was the one I was talking about. I have heard so many positive comments about these mics from all across the spectrum that I have to try it. There is a guy on another forum that I frequent and he is a pretty accomplished musician and he swears by the N/D 767. At $80 its hard not to try it.

I think I'll also try the Blue as well.

I'm definitely going to get the EV N/D 767, I have heard so many good thing about it from people of every background and music across all spectrums. It just had too many good things said about it to pass up for $80.

That being said, what about the BETA 58, they may have been mentioned but not really discussed? Does anyone have any real experience with them, and why did you choose them? Also what is the difference between the SM58/57 and the BETA 58/57?

Blog Entries

Tighter pickup patterns... much higher output for same SPL. They also sound somewhat different - more clarity and less "muffled" compared to the regular '58. They are good mics. There are a lot of good mics out there, though, these days.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I use the encore 300's a bit and like them a lot, the Telefunken M80 is also very nice, both at a higher price point than you seem to be talking about. The vast majority of musicians we have coming through stick with m58's though, tough and very predictable. In the long run, it's pretty insignificant. So many are solid mics now that in the end, it's not the microphone, it's up to your voice and the board operator. Don't sweat it so much. Any of the brands listed above work just fine.