Thread: Chris Thile Tuning

Default Chris Thile Tuning

Hey guys. So I'm very very new to mandolin playing. Chris Thile turned me on to it. I got myself a little left handed Stagg. I watched a video on how to tune it. Then I watched videos on Chris playing. Tried to duplicate some stuff, but it just doesn't seem right. I think the tuning may be different. Can anyone please tell me what tuning he has his mandolin in??? He plays live and never changes instruments, so I assume it's one solid set tuning. Help! Thanks!

Default Re: Chris Thile Tuning

Try GDAE, lowest (thickest) to highest.

As far as I know, he just turns the little knobs like everyone else...
    Sorry, bad joke, standard turnings generally apply,(bass side toward treble) GDAE
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

That's what I have it in...any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    As far as I know, he just turns the little knobs like everyone else...
    Sorry, bad joke, standard turnings generally apply,(bass side toward treble) GDAE

Blog Entries

I have no reason to believe it is not standard tuning.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

If you are playing left handed then the fattest string should be closest to your head. That one is tuned the lowest (g)

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
    Well ...you're "very new to mandolin playing" and
    you can't make your mandolin sound like Chris Thile...... hmmmmm........

I think maybe mine is tuned wrong too!!!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

Chris plays in standard tuning. Given that you are new to the mandolin and playing a very modest one at that, I would suggest that your mandolin might not be in tune. I am not trying to be confrontational, just saying.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Certified schooner-rat Neoclinus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
    Honestly, three decades of constant practice, apparently four hours a day currently if what I read is to be believed, and extensive understanding of classical, jazz, bluegrass, etc, etc, to create a distinctive style that is very hard indeed to reproduce. And possibly the ~$200k Loar that he's playing has something to do with it too... But don't give up, the more you practice and become familiar with the instrument and ornamentation the more you'll see some of the tricks he uses to get that distinctive sound. Thile occupies a level of musicianship and seemingly unlimited creativity that is truly remarkable even outside out little world of mandolins, and it can often sound like he's playing an entirely different instrument from the recalcitrant little things us mere mortals are playing, even when we get to noodle on a Gilchrist or even another Loar. He makes it look, if not exactly easy, at least a heckuva lot easier than it really is when you try to get some of those ornamentations and clever little drones and almost-but-not-quite-dissonant double stops. But be inspired and get to know your mandolin, and you'll get there. There are many good resources around for developing mandolin technique; I haven't used it myself, but I've heard excellent reports about Mike Marshall's Artistworks lessons (link in the Cafe sponsors at the top of the page - no financial interest) but there are many others as well. Happy picking!
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

Elkhorn F-5 cocobolo & red cedar, 1896 Cole's Eclipse 4000 banjo, ca. 1880's S.S. Stewart 'lady Stewart' openback banjo, et al...

Hi Ryan - I understand exactly where you're at !. Going back 50 + years when i was 18,i had a 5 string banjo with 4 strings on it tuned to guitar. When a friend's brother asked me to tune up to his guitar,i just didn't know how to do it,i didn't even know what he meant.
    Chris Thile uses 'standard' mandolin tuning GDAE :- 4th strings are tuned to G / 3rd strings are tuned to D / 2nd strings are tuned to A & the 1st strings are tuned to E. Use this on-line mandolin tuner to help you get started, & you might just buy yourself a good electronic 'clip on' tuner to help you tune up in the future :- http://www.get-tuned.com/mandolin_tuning_methods.php
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Not many people sound like Chris Thile, I think it's fair to say.
    He is widely considered to be the best in the business, so don't worry too much about that.

Getting the mandolin itself in tune is another matter though. Do you play the guitar at all?
    David A. Gordon

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

There's more to being a superhero than meets the eye...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Replying to a newby I thought some of the replies could have been a tad more constructive.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

15. The following members say thank you to G7MOF for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Make sure your setup is correct, particularly the position of the bridge (that's movable, in case you didn't know, held in place only by string tension). If it's wrong, it's impossible to get the mandolin in tune with itself. The 12th fret needs to be exactly halfway between the nut and the bridge.

(How's that for useful?)
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Make sure your instrument is strung correctly, with the thickest strings at the top and lightest ones at the bottom, then follow this clip from Mike Marshall.

If you haven't got some point of reference by which to get one note right, it can be confusing. Get one course of strings - G, D, A or E roughly correct according to the sounds from the YouTube clip, then work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Make sure your setup is correct, particularly the position of the bridge (that's movable, in case you didn't know, held in place only by string tension). If it's wrong, it's impossible to get the mandolin in tune with itself. The 12th fret needs to be exactly halfway between the nut and the bridge.

(How's that for useful?)
    Except it isn't supposed to be. If it were then we would not need compensated bridges. If strings did not stretch when played then EXACTLY half way would work. It should be very close to half way.
    Bill Snyder

Ok, making fun of it does not help, but complicating won't either. What have we got so far?
    - there might be an intonation problem, and if the OP got a cheap mandolin, it may not be set up properly. What do we recommend in such cases? Have it checked by a comptent person. A picture here may also tell a lot (I remember one of a mandolin without a bridge...)
    - there may be just a problem with playing technique, which the mention of Mr Thile has led us to assume at first.
    We need more information.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

Bring the tuning UP to pitch... Don't go past then bring it back down to pitch. If you go over, back off and gradually bring it back.

Compare your tuning open and at the 12th fret. If in tune open and flat at 12 move the bridge towards the nut, if sharp move the bridge towards the tailpiece. (Loosen the tension on the strings before you attempt to move the bridge.)

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Bad setup to blame maybe? If your intonation is not set right, then as you go up the string the notes may range sharp or flat. I have played a badly intonated mandolin that went noticeably sharp within just a few frets. If that is the case, nothing will sound right.
    J Bovier A5
    Shawnee Creek A-9 style
    Blue Chip/Wegen picks, Tone Guard
    K&K Twin Spot
    Mando pedalboard: Behringer ADI21 preamp, Boss CS-2 Compressor, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ

It sounds like y'all are giving him advice on how to keep his mandolin in tune, or adjust the intonation, but I'm not sure that's what he asked. It seems to me that his question isn't a matter of being off a few cents here and there. I read his question as he's not getting the same notes when he tries to copy Thile's fingering. Hence, the question about whether Thile uses an alternate tuning.

Maybe Ryan could clarify what he's asking? It may just be me that's reading it wrong.

Anyway, as others have said, Thile uses standard GDAE tuning to my knowledge. Cross-tuning isn't as common on the mandolin as it is with other instruments, and Thile is pretty devoted to standard tuning anyway. He won't even use a capo (or so he has said in the past, and I've never seen him use one).

Could it be that you're maybe just getting confused because you're playing a lefty mandolin and watching him play a standard right-handed convention? Is your lefty Stagg actually reversed like a mirror-image of a righty mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Is your lefty Stagg actually reversed like a mirror-image of a righty mandolin?
    Hadn't even thought of that. There's a whole world of dark guessing that could be lit up by just one picture.