Thread: Mandola 17" Scale & EFT76 Strings

Default Mandola 17" Scale & EFT76 Strings

I have recently reacquired a mandola and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with D'Addario EFT76 strings and a 17" scale length. I'm a big fan of flat wound strings but still can't get past the price on Thomastik's. Anyone with a Weber mandola or other 17" scale length use the EFT76's?
    David
    2010 Gayle Mandonator

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." GK Chesterton

Default Re: Mandola 17" Scale & EFT76 Strings

I can tell you that the tension of this set sounds very high to me (0.053, .035, .024, .016).
    The D'Addario gives the string tensions for 15.8" scale (233 lbs total). At 17", this will put you at ~250 lbs. That seems like quite a strain for a flat top.

For comparison, I use .047w (or .048)/.035w/.023w/.013 plain on my 17" flattop, which compares most closely to EJ72 (~196 lbs
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

3. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

DougC 

Switched to EFT76's from EJ76's on a Fylde 21" scale octave mandola.
    Very pleased with the change.
    Liking the sound and feel of EFT76's much better than the EJ76's.

I have used FT76 on a 17" scale Weber mandola. You can also "create" your own set of flatwounds from Chrome flatwound guitar strings.

need loops? Break the balls out of Guitar strings.

with a little shorter scale Gages like GHS Octave {12, .. wound 22, 32, 44 } worked..
    on my Mandola ...

Longer scale all the better..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    need loops? Break the balls out of Guitar strings
    And if you have been an idiot and bought loop instead of ball strings....?

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Trade them in The Classifieds...

9. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

derbex 

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

David - I have an eclectic collection of about 8 or nine Mandolas (including a 17 inch scale,4 string Topher Gayle, 'dolanator) and they are possibly the most sensitive instruments I've ever experienced when it comes to string weight. I have tried the highly regarded (and expensive) Thomastik strings and was generally disappointed with the sound output and longevity. My solution (and Topher agreed) was to go to Elixer Nano Web strings of an appropriate weight based on Graham MacDonald's string solution program and then buy singles (or sets of four if they work) to fit. One of my instruments (a short scale 16" Spira) has had the Elixers on it for over five years and there is a minimal degrading of sound output and virtually NO corrosion or string wear.

My 17 inch Topher Gayle uses .047w, .034w, .024w and .012p for CGDa. It is a mandola but is played more like a short scale tenor guitar, very resonant and very much intune to about the 18th fret. My shorter scale instruments can get away with the same GDA set but often need a .052 or .053 for the C string. Ask Topher about it, it's number 18 in his gallery. BTW ... the GDA strings are packaged for mandolin with an E string if you need loop ends. This is a more reasonably priced solution to getting sets for this instrument. Then you just need to get the .047w as a separate string.

As a plus, these are almost as easy to play as the flat wounds and depending on your technique, probably as quiet for fret noise.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

David: I am also contemplating trying those strings. My mandola, Collings MT2, arrived with J76 and they were just fine. My hands are not large so that is why I traded my Weber Bridger A mandola for the Collings MT2. No other reason. Both sounded great. I did change my Collings down to the J72 which made it easier for me to fret. That could be more due to my skill (or more likely, lack of!) than to any technical reason for the change. I still experience some squeak. I usually play my mandola more around the holidays so I will examine the issue you raise more carefully. For some reason, Christmas music sounds better on the mandola--I am sure there is an explanation for this, but I don't know the reason, just my 69 y/o ears ! I purchased a set of FT76 mandola strings (flat tops) but never put them on because of a number of negative comments by folks on the Café. You have my curiosity aroused, so I think I will order a set of the EFT76 and try them out. I want to make a road trip up to Lansing to visit Elderly for some other work, so I might have them slip the EFT76 on for a trial ! I did call Collings before I removed the original set of J76. They were, of course, polite and professional to a fault, but said their mandola line was "designed around" the J76, but that other players had switched to the J72's with good effect. Bottom line, they stand by the J76 as the optimum. Hence, the EFT76 has some interest to me if the fretting will be easier with less squeak. Oh, and thanks for your lovely playing ! I am one of your subscribers on You-Tube.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dulcillini View Post
    David: I am also contemplating trying those strings. My mandola, Collings MT2, arrived with J76 and they were just fine.
    The Collings is not 17" scale length. And that makes a difference here. The acoustic properties of the bigger instrument have different demands on strings.

Now I suppose you could play basketball with a football but I don't know about the dribbling...

13. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

David and Doug C. (above)

I just realized that the EFT76 and the FT76 are the same !! I didn't notice that. Thanks to Doug C, your point is well taken. The longer scale length does likely change the equation. The Collings has a 15.9 inch scale length compared to most mandolas, which fall into the 17-18 inch range. Thanks to all.

Mike
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

15. The following members say thank you to dulcillini for this post:

trev 

So is it a general rule of thumb that shorter scale needs a heavier string? I have J72's and J76's here. My GT mandola is a longer scale than the Nasca. I was given a bunch of J72's for Christmas 2 yrs ago so have been my go to string but I somehow ended up with a set of J76's and I don't remember where they came from
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    I have a bag full of the balls left over from old strings for just that purpose. I have many instruments - some take loops, some need ball ends. I have lots of spare strings on hand of each termination type.

18. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

derbex 

So is it a general rule of thumb that shorter scale needs a heavier string?
    Yep. That's right. For the 0.052 C string in a J76 set you get

17" scale -> 28.2 lbs tension
    15.9" scale -> 24.6 lbs tension

To get about the same tension on the 17" mandola, you would need 0.049 string (24.9 lbs tension)

So, 17" scale with .049 ~ 15.9" scale with .052

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

20. The following members say thank you to Pete Braccio for this post:

I have a Jimmy Moon Mandola with a measured scale length of 16.5"'. The strings on it are quite old and the C strings seem dull. What would be a the size and brand of strings that might be recommended for tuning as CDGa. I tend to play celtic tunes.

Thanks

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I have a bag full of the balls left over from old strings for just that purpose. I have many instruments - some take loops, some need ball ends. I have lots of spare strings on hand of each termination type.
    Thanks for that -it's an hour of my life I won't get back but the Buchanan now has the EJ72s on it

I have a Jimmy Moon Mandola with a measured scale length of 16.5"
    Hi Jeff,
    That's only half the info needed for these beasts. Is it a flat top or a craved top? I'm guessing flat. If so, I went with D'Addario Octave Mandolin strings on a flat top Weber when I had it. They were .046, .032, .022, and .012.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Thanks Pete.

It's a flat top so I will try your suggestion. Really enjoy trying to transpose some of the tunes I already play on the mandolin on this instrument.

I also appreciate the pdf's of the tunes you carry on your website.

Jeff

Well I ended up answering my own question, I tried the EFT76's on my 17" mandola and although I love the sound of the strings, ultimately the increased tension had a negative effect on playability. I went with a custom set of .047W .034W .023W .012P and that seems to be the right tension for the scale length.
    David
    2010 Gayle Mandonator

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." GK Chesterton