Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Jarosz uses Elixir Nanowebs....anybody like them????

Default Sarah Jarosz uses Elixir Nanowebs....anybody like them????

I noticed in her new interview that Sarah Jarosz uses Elixir Nanoweb mediums. I don't see much discussion about Elixir strings here on the Cafe.....I'm thinking about trying them out.....thoughts??????

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sarah Jarosz uses Elixir Nanowebs....anybody like them????

No ..... I don't like their feel. Elixir strings are made in the D'Addario factory, who's strings I used for years, before Elixir adds their patented polymer. However to each his own. For those players that have a string killing chemistry I expect the coating is very helpful. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

gtani7 

I've tried them and didn't like them much, but I probably don't play my instrument as much as she does and I don't have as good of an instrument as she does. I thought they sounded slightly muted or not as bright as uncoated strings, as many have noted on this sight. On the other hand I can't fault her sound ...

I have never understood why it's important what some professional likes or uses in instruments strings picks etc. Do we think that if we buy the product we will play like them? I use what I like and let them use what they like. I do try a vararity of products in searching for what suits me but it doesn't depend on what anyone else uses

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I have never understood why it's important what some professional likes or uses in instruments strings picks etc. Do we think that if we buy the product we will play like them? I use what I like and let them use what they like. I do try a vararity of products in searching for what suits me but it doesn't depend on what anyone else uses
    I guess that's how my post sounds, but I feel the same way you do.....I was already thinking about trying them before I read the interview. I guess that explains why I don't sound like Chris Thile even when I use a Blue Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker2050 View Post
    ... Sarah Jarosz uses Elixir Nanoweb mediums. ...
    For an instant, I was anticipating a lively debate about whether or not hiring a medium could help one's mandolin playing, and I was wondering how the name "Elixir Nanoweb" came to be bestowed upon the medium, did they have odd parents or something? Although I have heard of some unusual names, such as Moon Unit , or these strangest names ever .

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Good point, but, I don't think that had anything to do with bbaker's question.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I haven't used them on my mandolin yet, but I love them on guitar when I am gigging a lot. When I first came to Nashville I was playing downtown on Broadway in a smoke filled honky tonk, two full shows a night. So 8 hours a night 4 nights straight. With sweat and smoke in the mix I needed to change strings every week. But when I switched to the Elixir coated strings I was able to go almost 2 months before changing strings, so the savings in money was considerable even with the higher cost of Elixirs.

However, I don't like to use Elixirs in the studio as I get a better sound with non-coated strings. I imagine it would be similar for mandolin, but I am not gigging so heavy with the mandolin so I haven't had to think about it.

I think Sierra Hull was using the Elixirs also. I'll ask her next time I see her what her reasons are, but I'm gonna guess that it's just simply because they last longer between changing strings and she is usually playing with sound reinforcement. Once the guitar or mandolin is amplified it is easy to adjust EQ to make up for tone difference in strings (to some extent).

I used to use them on my guitar[s] and liked them, but the high prices eventually drove me away. In 1999 or so I had a 12-string. I stopped in at my local Brook Mays for a set of strings one day and randomly grabbed a set of Elixirs - they rang up for $42!

I've been meaning to try some on my mandolin though. I've been curious about them because Kym Warner uses them, and his overall sound is about as good as it gets, to my ear anyway.

I use them on all three of my acoustic mandolins. This is partly because I live in a very humid climate that ruins regular uncoated strings in a month or less. With care taken to clean them every day and the liberal use of Fast Fret, I can make Nanos last three months or longer. I like the smooth feel, and the sound is entirely satisfactory to me.

I have heard people put them down because they don't like Elixir guitar strings - even though they haven't tried them on mandolin. That doesn't strike me as particularly well thought-out.

I think Ron nails it. If strings aren't lasting long enough for various reasons; humidity, sweat, grime, etc., then Elixirs are a good choice and worth the extra bucks. Otherwise non-coated strings are just fine and can be wiped down after playing to help extend string life.

And most guys/gals that just play mandolin around the house are not going to subject strings to as much stress as a gigging musician like Sarah Jarosz.

@Caleb - geez, strings for $42?? Next you'll be telling us that you paid $35 for a pick!

14. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

Caleb 

I live in a humid area and my skin chemistry kills strings very quickly so I use them on all my guitars. I like the feel and sound of them a lot so now I've got a set waiting to go on my mandolin.
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin
    '59 Gibson J-45 "Spot"
    '21 Gibson LG-2
    '94 Taylor 710
    '18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
    '22 Martin CEO7
    '15 Martin 000X1AE
    Fender Roadworn USA P-Bass "Big Al"

www.reverbnation.com/MickKyteMusic

I seem to have pretty corrosive finger oils, so I use the medium Elixers to extend life. Back in my acoustic guitar days I remember the Elixer Polywebs as being muted a bit by the coating, but not the Nanowebs. My only real issue against is price.

Best--Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    I haven't used them on my mandolin yet, but I love them on guitar when I am gigging a lot. When I first came to Nashville I was playing downtown on Broadway in a smoke filled honky tonk, two full shows a night. So 8 hours a night 4 nights straight. With sweat and smoke in the mix I needed to change strings every week. But when I switched to the Elixir coated strings I was able to go almost 2 months
    Man, I don't gig that much, but my experience has been similar. I like the sound of non-coated strings better, but I hate to change my strings every week or three, so Elixers or EXPs are worth it. We worry about this stuff, but I doubt that %99.9 of the civilian population could tell the difference between mandolin with coated strings and normal.

18. The following members say thank you to SincereCorgi for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bbaker2050 View Post
    I guess that's how my post sounds, but I feel the same way you do.....I was already thinking about trying them before I read the interview. I guess that explains why I don't sound like Chris Thile even when I use a Blue Chip.
    Nope, it's because he's using Wegens again (or, at least he did Friday night, in an amazing solo performance I was fortunate enough to attend). Oh, and the freakish talent and innumerable hours of practice
    Chuck

I'm pretty sure she has a professional endorsement with them. That might influence any professional player in their choice of equipment and accessories. That doesn't diminish them in any way, it just means that there might be other reasons other than how they perform and sound.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

21. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'm pretty sure she has a professional endorsement with them. That might influence any professional player in their choice of equipment and accessories. That doesn't diminish them in any way, it just means that there might be other reasons other than how they perform and sound.
    I think we have a winner!!

23. The following members say thank you to Beardog for this post:

The obvious has been posted.. E N D O R S E M E N T..
    It means zip all to me what a paid, endorsed, subsidized performer uses.
    Carries no credibility with me.

Add to that, i do not care for Elixirs, never have, neither guitar nor mandolin.

Have been using these for years on most of my instruments. I love them. I think the longer life negates the higher price. Plus you don't have the hassle of changing strings all the time. I do plug in all the time, so the actual acoustic sound is not of that much importance to me. Of course Sarah has an endorsement. That's how it works in the professional world. Just like Sam Bush has a Gibson model mandolin.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

The Elixir Nanowebs worked wonders for the sound of my teen's A. They really brightened it up in a good way.

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

Elixir are pretty much all I have used since switching from TI's about ten years ago. I quite like them on my mandolins, both for tone and feel. Pretty subjective stuff, so all you can do is try them and decide for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    It means zip all to me what a paid, endorsed, subsidized performer uses.
    Carries no credibility with me.
    It's nice to see such a fine player switching to the strings I've said for years are the best for my needs.

i have elixirs on my gibson F5 and on kentucky F5 and both have been improved [to my ear] with them. in fact i would say it brought my Kentucky to life
    i wish i could get them for my octave too.

Elixirs are the only coated strings I liked. I used them for a while after I could no longer get hold of D'Orazio silver-plated strings (I kill a set of normal J74s in under a week). Years ago I used Thomastiks, but they priced themselves out of the market for me. I now use Fisoma Supersolo Heavies, which last about a month (which is how long the Elixirs lasted, too).
    "Give me a mandolin and I'll play you rock 'n' roll" (Keith Moon)

My mandolin came with elixirs.I liked them,but when they go south seems they do it overnight. The G string was dead and awful after that. I'm sampling strings now with each change