Thread: Glen Campbell

Default Glen Campbell

A big thanks to Glen Campbell and his family for sharing his struggles with Alzheimer's in the film I'LL BE ME. My wife, Nancy, has early onset Alzheimer's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlenCampbellMandolin.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	141077
    "But no well informed person ever called the picking of the mandolin music." New York Times, 1897

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rick Albertson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Glen Campbell

I rate that one of the best movies of the decade. A big thanks to Glen and his family.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Never saw it but love Glen.

It's a real, tough look at a great musician on his last tour. Worth looking at, but a bit sad.

Also thought it was a great movie, but very sad. He certainly kept his humor throughout, although I now understand he's in a home.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Man, this movie is brutal. It is a great reminder about a magnificent musician.But wow, it is very, very sad to watch.

The movie turned me onto this Django inspired shred:

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tkdboyd For This Useful Post:

Wowee. And is that Herr Willie?

Willie without the Herr.

Great video.
    Last edited by F-2 Dave; Dec-04-2015 at 9:27am.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

By some odd chance a friend just posted this yesterday. A great reminder of his ability as a singer. This is a nice bridge between two generations. I don't even mind too much that he messed up the words a bit.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I saw the film, and it is sad. I was amazed that he could still perform at that stage.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I actually couldn't watch the entire movie as it depressed me too much to see what he was going through. I wish there was a in depth documentary about Glen's entire career as he is truly a great. I remember not caring much about Glen's music until I heard him flatpicking guitar on Carl Jackson:Banjo Player (1973,Capitol) which I believe Glen produced. After hearing such truly brilliant guitar playing I forever had respect for Glen as a musician irrespective of his country stardom.

Willie before the tale of the road was lined on his face like a highway map!
    JB, nice clip, I had that much hair......back then!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Great film, even if difficult to watch. Right now my aunt is going through this. Very hard on the family.

Glen was an incredible guitar player- a member of the infamous "wrecking crew" long before he became famous. They were the studio musicians that played on countless L.A. sessions in the 60's that were big hits for other artists. There's a book and documentary out now about this group.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

My mom died of Alzheimer's, was sad to hear Glen has it. But my mom could sing up to the end - we would take her for a ride in the car, and put in her favorite CDs and she sang along with all of them - Music is a part of us, the memory of song persists. Glen got me inspired to take up guitar back in the 1960s. Hope he still plays on......

I watched about the first half and that was enough for me as well.

My co-worker's mom has Alzheimer's, her short-term memory is bad but she can help her grandson with his Latin homework!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Heartfelt.

Driving home this evening heard this song on country radio. Wondered if it was Glen's daughter, Google answered with this when I got home. Some mandolin content.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...We39bp7L5M2lNg

I've always loved his music, even in the 70's when I mostly listened to R&R, Glen's talent was simply too big to ignore. I used to listen in awe to his guitar work, but my attempts to play his songs always seemed to come out like a child's drawing compared to a Rembrandt.

I can think of no one else with such a great voice, as well as the ability to play so many different styles of music.

The movie and his last tour was a very public display of what we usually try to hide as a society. Yes, it was sad and heartbreaking to watch. But it was also honest and real.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

23. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

I watch a special on Glen's condition about two years ago.I want to say it was 60 minutes (not sure).His daughter was touring with him,she was really running things.Beautiful young lady and a really good singer as well.Glen would forget songs or just walk off the stage.she would help him withe yhe lyrics or run after him,most of the time he would come back on stage,joke about his condition and continue to sing.His gaughter dropped everything to tour with him because that's what Glen wanted.I think he also had a son in his band to.Glen has always I think been one of the greatest entertainer's of our time. My heart goes out to the family.I know what they're up against as my Dad has this terrible mess.

The thing that separated him is that he could really play the guitar,and play really excellent guitar also.he discovered people ,among them Carl Jackson,who Campbell did all the guitar tracks on his debut album,.

Tiny Moore told a story at Western Week about meeting Glen Campbell. Glen thought Tiny's electric mandolin solos on recordings were done on electric guitar. He found them really difficult to learn and play. No kidding! I'm guessing they were both amused...

Growing up, my best friend's dad was a professional stage band jazz musician who periodically performed with Glen Campbell. He was of the opinion that Campbell was one of the best guitarist out there - bar none.