Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin tuning on a ukulele

Default Re: Mandolin tuning on a ukulele

Try this nylon combination on a soprano ukulele for mandolin/violin tuning. The Aquila 30U set was way too tight, but this has a comfortable feel with reasonable tension.

G .028w D'addario .0318 D'addario A .024 D'addario E .016 D'addario (or Savarez .0157)

I've had the .016 on 2 sopranos (now 3) since mid-february. After considerable abuse, the .016 has proven to be very durable. I haven't broken one yet.

Initial testing of Savarez .0157 is also good. All are available from JustStrings.com or Stringsbymail.com

<edit> I previously posted this on UU

I’m confused by this list of strings, and I can’t find some of the sizes on juststrings. You have the D (.0318) thicker than the G (.028w)? I’m assuming that’s not a wound string, since it’s thicker and didn’t list a ‘w’. Also I can’t seem to find that or the .024 in anything that’s not wound. You don’t have that A string as a wound string do you? Halp!

Nylon core wound strings ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Good question. Not sure what the synthetic core is.
    "Our sets are made using innovative materials, discovered and perfected in our laboratory after a long period of research and after being thoroughly tested, thus giving rise to a new synthetic product of high technology." New NylgutŪ
    Ask Aquila?