Thread: Need a bridge

Default Need a bridge

Hey guys/gals. I could use some help. I have a Gold Tone OM800. it has a piezo under saddle bridge. I have an LR Baggs radius pickup coming for it and thought I might as well change the bridge as well since it is hollowed out for the piezo wire.

I looked on mandolin store website and only saw mandolin bridges. any ideas where I might find a suitable bridge?

I am thankful to live above a music store with a decent luthier but they don't carry "replacement" bridges for this. mandolins yes but.... He is working on my strat right now and I take something down each month for some work or other.

Thanks for any advice I can get here. I want to order right away
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Default Re: Need a bridge

Gold Tone sells an OM800 replacement bridge. for 34 bucks. Looks like it's solid to me, but a phone call before ordering might be a good idea.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

appreciated. I can get them to order that one in for me. mine doesn't have the bone top and is split down the middle. I just figure a solid piece will sound better. I love the sound acoustically now but that piezo makes me cringe, even with the gig pro, which is better.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Need a bridge
    I can get you a great deal on one in Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    appreciated. I can get them to order that one in for me. mine doesn't have the bone top and is split down the middle. I just figure a solid piece will sound better. I love the sound acoustically now but that piezo makes me cringe, even with the gig pro, which is better.
    Go to the source:

https://www.goldtone.com/product-cat...dolin-bridges/

or

See if Steve at Cumberland Acoustic can make you one.

http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/

or

Check out the Red Henry bridge info:

http://www.murphymethod.com/index.cf...t&contentId=87
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Thanks guys. I emailed the Gold Tone link to my guys downstairs and will go talk to them shortly. The ordered my mandola and banjo in for me from there, so it's a given. I assumed it would be the same split bridge.

s1m0n, I will see what the guys say and drop you a line when I come back upstairs

I will write cumberland too as I love the mandolin bridge on "The Loar" of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wilson View Post
    Thanks guys. I emailed the Gold Tone link to my guys downstairs and will go talk to them shortly. The ordered my mandola and banjo in for me from there, so it's a given. I assumed it would be the same split bridge.

s1m0n, I will see what the guys say and drop you a line when I come back upstairs

I will write cumberland too as I love the mandolin bridge on "The Loar" of mine.
    Before you get another, I'd advise you to get a real OM or mandola replacement bridge, compensated for 3 wound/1 plain courses. Most of the OM800 you will see have an adjustable bridge, not the 1-pc bridge in the link. That in itself is confusing, but I wouldn't get either the 1-pc or the adjustable bridge, as both have a mandolin-type compensated saddle. (Neither the Saga (Trinity College) or Goldtone people apparently realize there is a difference, and should be a difference. )

The wound 2nd course of an octave mandolin (or mandola) should have its bridge saddle all the way forward, ie, with the least compensation of the three wound strings. This has been discussed here a few times before. If, on the other hand, you're using (or would rather use) a heavy plain steel string for the 2nd course (A), you would want a bridge compensated like the one they sell.
    Last edited by acousticphd; Nov-14-2015 at 4:58pm. Reason: typo
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

10. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

My mandola has the same type 1 pce bridge. I was looking at the instruments and that looks like the bouzuki bridge.

Yes, the bridge compensation is the same on all their intruments, regardless of scale/intended string gauge. I imagine it is probably the self-same bridge on mandola, OM, and bouzouki. Really the people at the company don't understand or care about the difference re: saddle compensation.
    You can just live with the intonation error it produces, or look for properly compensated bridge.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

13. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

I've still got my Michael Kelly Octave plus as my loaner/beater OM. I bought her from Elderly a few years ago. I could never get the intonation quite right, so I took her to my local guitar tech who made a new compensated saddle (top part of the two piece bridge) for me, cost about $40. Now the intonation is perfect.

a solid bridge can be fabricated by your friendly local luthier , and in the process fitted to the top precisely

and have the intonation offsets dialed in by how they are cut,

and you can get the top edge bone inset too if you wish ..

the red henry blank may be a place to start
    but a piece of wood is even more open to your options

[murphy method site is about lessons and Books Now]
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The Murphy link above is to the bridge page.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by s1m0n View Post
    I can get you a great deal on one in Brooklyn.
    No, sorry, I already bought it. Guy gave me a good deal too.

18. The following members say thank you to CelticDude for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
    No, sorry, I already bought it. Guy gave me a good deal too.
    Was shipping included?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

The store downstairs brought in the Gold Tone bridge. Word of warning.... it isn't tall enough to mate it to the body. I have to glue some ebony to the bottom and re sand.