Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When to Change Strings

Default Re: When to Change Strings

Change as often as you change your underwear and you should be fine !

I would suggest too to watch for bridge-pull.. that is the tendency of the wound strings to pull/rock/tilt the bridge forward as you tighten them.

good thread, I've learned stuff here.
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

The Mandolin Store has a sale on D'Addario EJ74 for $3.50. When I purchased my mandolin that was the extra set that came with the mando. Should I take advantage of the sale or get a different set?

Thanks,

Bob, if you like the strings, take the deal. If you want to experiment, see what comes up next. I would pick u a couple of sets to have "in stock" at home.
    Strings on sale will get you through times of no sale better than.....
    Well, you get it.
    I try to have at least two spare sets on hand most of the time. That way, I can get a new set on before a gig (a day or two) and, have a full set for stage spares (just in case).
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Couldn't wait for your restringing demo vid, Tim, and had to replace the strings "my" way: they were too old
    Have a few more sets on order so I would be able to practice when you'll have an opportunity to upload your tutorial

I feed the string thru the hole pull snug warp it around the post backward go under the string and bend sharp up tighten string. You don't even need a full turn, the string can't slip. I have found this method cuts down on string " stretching" which I think about half is really taking up slack in those winds around the post.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I pull the string up snug,wrap it around the post several times and only then do I put the loose end through the hole. This way the string never makes that sharp turn around the edge of the post hole, right at the point of maximum tension. The number of turns around the post will vary with the string-- wound strings will take fewer turns than the plain ones.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I do mine just like Dave Doll does at Martin guitar. Now that being said I realize that he is doing a guitar, and a lot of the work does not pertain to the mandolin. What does apply, is how you wrap the string on the post and bend it up and wrap around your bend.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIzVdvzn8d8

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I pull the string up snug,wrap it around the post several times and only then do I put the loose end through the hole. This way the string never makes that sharp turn around the edge of the post hole, right at the point of maximum tension. The number of turns around the post will vary with the string-- wound strings will take fewer turns than the plain ones.
    What does the sharp turn hurt? The only thing I can think of is it makes it just about impossible to reuse which I have done in leaner times if I broke a string I had a used one in the case. I no longer do that.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

When they break

Sorry Vates, been busy with holiday feasting here (pics posted in builders and repair "what's on your bench") not playing enough to warrant changing anything, but, I will do it one of these days.
    Method is really very much like the Dave Doles, Martin technique except I don't use cutters, just work the string back and forth, the core wire will snap off just below the last wind and, usually, leaves no "pokable" tail.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

No need to apologize! Please, do it when you have time and an appropriate inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Some folks do it when they start to lose volume. The bass strings will start to sound thuddy instead of crisp, and the treble strings will start to sound thin and twangy.

But for me, I change them when intonation starts to go south (which happens long before volume/tone issues). I guess I play pretty hard on my strings, because they start to flatten on the fret side and it changes the intonation. And having sweaty hands doesn't help either, I'm sure.

But I hate the bright sound of new strings. It takes me about 4-6 days to break them in and get them sounding like I want. Then they're good for about 3 weeks before intonation goes sour and I have to do it all over again.

I'm still amazed by folks that can go 6 months or a year between string changes.
    For what this is worth , I have found a way around that " bright " sound of a new set of strings . I use a slightly heavier pick for the first couple hours of playing time and it gives me the warmer fuller tone I know I'll get once the strings have settled down

Depends. I have a Breedlove with big frets and J74's. I use it for celtic and bluegrass and beat the bejesus out of the thing. Strings last 6-8 months with the amount of playing I do. Dents wear on the underside of the strings very quick and they tend to tarnish or rust and start buzzing.

On the other hand, my go-to mandolin that stays on the stand is an old Suzuki model 45. Loaded with Calace RW92B strings and gets played 30-60 minutes a day. Small frets and mostly classical and Italian music being played on it. No dents on the underside, no buzzing and no tarnish. The strings haven't been changed in 2 years.

The only product I use on either of them usually gets applied when returning from the range. A dab of Hoppes #9 oil on the finger is all the lube my strings ever get.