Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When to Change Strings

Blog Entries

Default Re: When to Change Strings

Quote Originally Posted by Achy Bonz View Post
    I've had my mandolin for almost a year now and this thread prompted a call to a shop up the road to make an appointment for new strings.
    It's one thing to take the ax in for a neck reset or something difficult. But there are some things every player should know how to do, and changing strings is one of them. No one wants to have to sit out of the rest of the jam because of a broken string (or worse, having to have someone else do it after admitting one doesn't know how).

It'll probably take an hour the first time, but it's well worth taking the time to learn how. And even if you have more money than time, the shop might not do the little things like clean up the fretboard or even make sure the winding on the tuners looks good.

2. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

When you do start changing them yourself, I like to keep the "tails" trimmed very closely to post. I have gotten very OCD about that. I just think it looks nicer to have a tidy looking instrument.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

4. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Right. Having someone in a shop change your strings is analogous to having a mechanic fill your tank. Basic care and maintenance should be done by the owner. Besides, taking the time once in a while to do this sort of routine maintenance provides an opportunity to give your beloved instrument the once-over. taking note of any number of little changes. It also gives you the chance to lavish some affection on it.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    When you do start changing them yourself, I like to keep the "tails" trimmed very closely to post. I have gotten very OCD about that. I just think it looks nicer to have a tidy looking instrument.
    Let me preface this with IMHO:

For the life of me, I can't understand why some mandolin and guitar pickers leave all that wire hanging out. I'm not sure what it would be but perhaps they're making a statement. The strings I use are almost a foot too long. I cut them close.

It's also got to cause a problem when you put the instrument in the case. To each his own, I guess.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post

For the life of me, I can't understand why some mandolin and guitar pickers leave all that wire hanging out. I'm not sure what it would be but perhaps they're making a statement. The strings I use are almost a foot too long. I cut them close.

It's also got to cause a problem when you put the instrument in the case. To each his own, I guess.
    Its a style thing, going back to the 70s or something.

If you are going to trim the tails, be sure to leave one of them about a half inch long, so you can skewer your cigarette there for the moment. Oh, .... never mind.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I change them when they break... But they never break...

Don't know if this has been said, but if you run your fingernail under the string along the length and you can feel little divots where the frets are hitting the string it's time to change them.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    If you are going to trim the tails, be sure to leave one of them about a half inch long, so you can skewer your cigarette there for the moment. Oh, .... never mind.
    Or just stick it under the strings behind the nut. That's what the cool kids do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post

For the life of me, I can't understand why some mandolin and guitar pickers leave all that wire hanging out. I'm not sure what it would be but perhaps they're making a statement.
    I think the statement is, "I'm lazy." I don't get it, either. The guitarist in my old band hardly ever trimmed his strings, nor wound them into loops, as some do. I think it looks sloppy. But I wouldn't have minded too much, except now and then this 6-8 member band played in small areas and those little whips with sharp pointy ends would hit me. I keep a needle-nose pliers with wire snip in my gig bag, because I'm responsible, and now and then I would clip them. Too bad if he didn't like it. It was a task for Sisyphus though, as within another week ot two there would be a new crop.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    If you are going to trim the tails, be sure to leave one of them about a half inch long, so you can skewer your cigarette there for the moment.
    Kind of a rock guitarist's thing on an electric, but ... Yeah, especially if your name is Keith Richards. Seems he always has a cig burning... Why, I've never known. I nthe live clips I've seen, I don't recall ever seeing him take a puff.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

When I was a smoker, I used to tuck the butt under the string or, in the scroll to really scare the pudding out of people!
    I learned a trick about getting the tails which broke them off under the "leading edge" of the last turn around the post. You just get it tuned to pitch, then work the tail back one forth until it work hardens and snaps. It almost always breaks under the top, there is not sharp little tip protruding at all. This guy did tons of show for kids and was very conscious of little kids wanting to touch the guitar! I have been doing the same trick and really like it. It takes a little practice to get it right but, it does leave a smooth peghead and, requires no tools to cut the tail. Don't need to carry the "Leatherman" anymore. Well, except for the guitar player.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

Or just stick it under the strings behind the nut. That's what the cool kids do.
    I knocked about $500 dollars off of the asking price of a vintage bass doing that in a bar one night. Left that black burn mark on the headstock of a pristine '68 jazz bass.

Blog Entries

Will keep the wire trimmed, do not like pieces of wire hanging out~! For me that is sloppy.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Yes, I change mine all at the same time. But I only take one side off at a time, then wipe down that side and give the frets and tuners a quick once over. I then replace the strings, and move to the other side. That insures the bridge doesn't move. It's a good idea to check your intonation when you're done, but if you are careful, it shouldn't change.

Changing the stings can be intimidating at first, but after a while it's no biggie. Lots of tutorials on the web and YouTube.
    Great idea, changing one side at a time.

i'm with astro--when they break, although i have been know to put on a new set a week before a big gig--which i almost never get anymore.

There are lots of reasons to change strings. When I used to play 2 day festivals I would change Friday night or before the 1st show or Sat. if I could find the time to play them in a bit. I broke lots of strings back then. I played hard and probably had a bad saddle slot.

But the time to change strings is when you don't like them anymore.

I just changed a new set I didn't feel were going to live up to my expectations on the show this week. I don't want them to distract me.

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a new player. I've just changed my strings for the first time, (18 months). I don't play a lot. About 60 minutes a day, 2 hours if the wife is out of the house. Quite a difference in the sound. I'll see how they settle down in the next few days.

I noticed some grooves in the frets. Is this normal? Should they be filed down? Do you let them get deep before trying to touch them up? I'll change the strings more often in the future.

BJ

Blog Entries

Don't file them down! Fret wear is a natural occurrence, the result of the harder steel of the strings being pressed against the softer fret wire. The frets have to be replaced periodically as a result. It seems a bit soon for you to be having this problem, though, given the amount of playing you describe, assuming this is a new instrument. You might want to scan through some of the fret threads here for tips on what kind of wire to get, even though you are bound to get some suggestions here. Some will suggest you can do a fret job yourself, and they may be right, but I've never felt confident enough in my abilities to trust myself with such an important task, which affects so many aspects of playability.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BJO View Post
    Do you let them get deep before trying to touch them up? I'll change the strings more often in the future.
    When the strings start buzzing against the next higher fret, that's when it's time for a refret job. I had it done recently for the third time, and this time I asked my local luthier if he could do it with EVO Gold fret wire (harder alloy) and it's looking good, both for color and endurance.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I learned a trick about getting the tails which broke them off under the "leading edge" of the last turn around the post. You just get it tuned to pitch, then work the tail back one forth until it work hardens and snaps. It almost always breaks under the top, there is not sharp little tip protruding at all.
    Not quite understood the described process. Could you please post a quick instructional video? (or point me in the right direction) Thanks!

Blog Entries

Strings and Beyond has free shipping right now with no minimum. Want to try one pack of something different - now is your chance.

I keep a 3 inch ,stainless ,wire cutter pliers in my case.perfect for trimming,,,get them on eBay for about $2.50...micro cutters or something like that....

Vates,
    It's the same installation method as normal, one turn under, two on top. Then take the loose tail and work it back and forth, it will "work harden" and break. Nine times out of ten, the tail breaks below the height of the last wind.
    Not sure about how I can "show" just now but, will see what I can do next time I change strings.
    I really like the process, I will get my wife to "film" the procedure.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Vates,
    It's the same installation method as normal, one turn under, two on top. Then take the loose tail and work it back and forth, it will "work harden" and break. Nine times out of ten, the tail breaks below the height of the last wind.
    Not sure about how I can "show" just now but, will see what I can do next time I change strings.
    I really like the process, I will get my wife to "film" the procedure.
    That would be great, thanks!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

...the same installation method as normal, one turn under, two on top.
    That sounds like the method where you start at the tuner post and hook the loops on the tailpiece later. Not applicable for me (ball-end strings through holes in the tailpiece).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I have seen that method but, I loop first. I use abut four finger widths of slack, just the regular old fashioned way I learned forever ago.
    I will be happy to post the vid when I get to it! When you see it done, it makes sense.
    Sorry, one over two under, my mistake!
    Timothy F. Lewis

30. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

vates