Thread: Bad Habits

Default Bad Habits

I am now four months into learning the mandolin. I am starting to pick up a bad habit that I can not figure out how to break. I am hoping others have found a way to correct this.

I find that my right hand (pick hand) tends to creep backwards as I am playing. I try to stay aligned with the top / front of the the f holes but as I concentrate on other parts of playing, I catch myself again moving. Only when I notice the decrease in volume do I recognize the problem and adjust.

Default Re: Bad Habits

I find that my right hand creeps back when I am trying to learn a new song that is challenging me. Moving the right hand back where there isn't as much string movement is a way of making things a little simpler. Then once I have it learned, my right hand stays where it belongs.

Some would say you could anchor the heel of your right hand on the bridge. Others say this tends to dampen the sound somewhat. I anchor my heel and it does not seem to overly effect the sound. Good luck.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening! The harder I am concentrating (challenged) the more it happens. Since I am so new to this everything has some degree of "challenge" so I am concerned about starting bad habits.

Don't sweat it. Once you've learned the thing you're struggling with, you'll be able to move your right hand forward without those jangling strings worrying you.

I do have an armrest installed but the movement on that just doesn't register in my mind that a problem is developing. Perhaps the bridge being closer to the hand would register change more quickly.

This is a good opportunity to post this often-posted short video clip of Mike Marshall talking about mandolin basics for hand position:

He says "The fleshy part of the palm touches the bridge ever so slightly."

That's called an anchor point. It doesn't mean your hand always stays there, but it's a place you can feel against the edge of your palm as a reference point. While doing that, you can focus on picking where the "sweet spot" is on your mandolin, which (depending on the music you're playing) can be anywhere between the end of the fretboard and closer to the bridge.

There is a danger in resting the edge of your hand too hard against the strings at, or behind the bridge. If you have a good quality mandolin with a responsive top, you can easily damp and mute the sound if you press down too hard on the bridge with the edge of your hand.

I've been playing mandolin for years now, and applying too much pressure while using the bridge as a reference point under my right hand is still something of a bad habit I'm constantly fighting. My mandolin opens up and sings when my hand is completely off the bridge. But I still need that reference for where my hand should be, at least when picking a single note melody line with complex cross-string picking. Strumming chordal backup is a whole different thing, and that's easy to keep my hand loose.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

You might think about addressing the angle and place you hold your mandolin. What is natural for you size and shape while using a strap will be a good place to start checking on why you drift. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

For many on this list, it has no doubt been a long time since you were a beginner. The feed back you give is so - so valuable and much appreciated. That said, it is also somewhat reassuring to hear that after years of playing you still have to be careful of recurring and potentially bad habits.

Thank you, thank you, tank you!

"The road is long, with many a winding turn..."

11. The following members say thank you to T Wayne for this post: