Thread: Choral Performances Involving Mandolin

Default Choral Performances Involving Mandolin

I though it might be worthwhile to start a thread devoted solely to choral music that involves mandolins in any configuration (solo, small ensemble, full orchestra, etc.). This would include choral music only (not pieces for a single vocalist). (If such a thread already exists and I missed it, I apologize.)

Two things prompted the idea for this thread. Next month the Seattle Mandolin Orchestra will accompany a performance of Handel's Messiah and the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble will accompany a performance of Vivaldi's Gloria. For details and tickets for the Seattle concert, click http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/291851. (A ticket link for the Philadelphia concert will be added shortly.)

I am member of the the Philadelphia group, which has performed the Gloria several times over the past few years. I really love the combination of mandolin-family instruments with choral groups, especially when performing Baroque repertoire.

If you know of any choral performances involving mandolin (recordings of past performances, or notices of upcoming performances) please feel free to share here.

Below is a recording of Domine Fili Unigenite, from Vivaldi's Gloria. This is from a 2012 performance that we (PME) did with the Concord Singers of Summit, NJ.

Last edited by mlinkins; Nov-07-2015 at 3:28pm.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlinkins For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Choral Performances Involving Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mlinkins View Post
    I though it might be worthwhile to start a thread devoted solely to choral music that involves mandolins in any configuration (solo, small ensemble, full orchestra, etc.). This would include choral music only (not pieces for a single vocalist). (If such a thread already exists and I missed it, I apologize.)
    My only experience in this respect was a church concert we played about ten years ago -- a joint concert with a local female choir, where we each played a set separately and we then backed the choir on Offenbach's Barcarolle. Seven piece mandolin ensemble, with about ten vocalists in the choir. Worked pretty well, considering we had only one joint rehearsal. The gig was recorded onto cassette tape (remember those?), but as I recall there was a technical problem with the Barcarolle and we never got it on tape. Don't think it was a big loss, as the audio quality on the surviving pieces was not very good.

Martin

4. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Carol Barnett's Bluegrass Mass.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this, August. (On another note, thanks for "Exploring Classical Mandolin"! Great resource!)

8. The following members say thank you to mlinkins for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Here's a nice version of the "Overture" from Handel's, Messiah for mandolin orchestra:
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Clements For This Useful Post:

Here is a more recent recording of the Vivaldi Gloria with mandolin and guitar orchestra and organ continuo. I included clips from four movements, just to give a sense of the different colors and textures when performed on mandolin. (The piece is usually performed with string orchestra, oboe, trumpet, and continuo).

John Stroud conducts the Media Chamber Chorale and Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble. Recording by Brad Zabelski of Traveling Tracks.

12. The following members say thank you to mlinkins for this post:

The following are choral works by Prof. Eric Gross.

A Children's Hymn Op.194 (1994)
    Dur. 4'30"
    Instr.: Mandolin, Mandola, Piano or Keyboard, Treble Voices.
    JADCD 1071

Psalm 150 Op.203 (1995)
    Dur. 7 min.
    Instr.: Choir (SATB), String Orchestra or Keyboard, Mandolin

Psalm 33 Op. 207 (1995)
    Dur. 4 min.
    Instr.: Choir (SATB), String Orchestra or Keyboard, Mandolin.

Dr Gross also wrote WORKS FOR VOICE AND MANDOLIN.

“Of Life and Music” HECTOR BERLIOZ Op. 283/Ber (2005)
    Poem by Patrick Thomas (dur. 3ʼ40” approx)
    for Tenor or Soprano Voice and Mandolin.

“Of Life and Music” EDWARD ELGAR Op. 283/Elg (2005)
    Poem by Patrick Thomas (dur.4ʼ00” approx)
    for Mezzo Soprano/Alto or Bass/Baritone Voice and Mandolin.

“Of Life and Music”GIOACHINO ANTONIO ROSSINI Op. 283/Ross (2005)
    Poem by Patrick Thomas (dur.3ʼ30” approx)
    for Tenor or Soprano Voice and Mandolin

You can find other mandolin works by Eric Gross at:
    www.sydneymandolins.com
    then click compositions.

14. The following members say thank you to barbaram for this post: