Thread: Classic pearl celluloid picks

Default Classic pearl celluloid picks

Call me weird in this day of advanced pick materials, but I like the tone of these, at $.25 cent each! I use the 1.25 guage

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProduct...ssortment_Pack
    Russ Jordan

2. The following members say thank you to Russ Jordan for this post:

Nevin 

Default Re: Classic pearl celluloid picks

If you are weird I am to. I will probably get thrown off this form but I use Fender extra heavy picks about 50 cents each and can see no advantage in the high price picks. I have used many picks over the years cheep mid priced and high priced. While I do see a difference in picks they do not seem to follow their price. Some cheep picks sound as good as some expensive picks, some expensive picks sound as sorry as some cheep picks. I have concluded that the placebo effect is what makes the difference in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    If you are weird I am to. I will probably get thrown off this form but I use Fender extra heavy picks about 50 cents each and can see no advantage in the high price picks. I have used many picks over the years cheep mid priced and high priced. While I do see a difference in picks they do not seem to follow their price. Some cheep picks sound as good as some expensive picks, some expensive picks sound as sorry as some cheep picks. I have concluded that the placebo effect is what makes the difference in a lot of cases.
    I think we think alike. I've "carried" a pocketful of picks in my left front pants pocket for 45+ years now. So, I will always have a pick handy or can give one to somebody. Not saying I'm such an old pro or anything, but as long as it is an extra heavy pick I can play it and it will sound fine to me. When a pick costs more than my lunch, I start to get worried......

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Heck, some of these things can cost more than DINNER!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

To clarify, I'm not dissing the higher priced picks. I personally lose picks too easily to justify the expense for me. Regarding the classic pearl celluloid picks, D'Addario was gifting them (and other models) away to anyone who stopped by their table at MerleFest last year. I snagged a couple and discovered that I liked them.
    Russ Jordan

Us e the picks you like--and don't worry if they're cheap--although keep an eye on them if they're expensive.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

''One man's meat........ !",
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I bought a 10 pack of those Planet Wave celluloid picks, large triangle shape, in glorious Clown Barf. They cost like 60cents apiece and they play just great. Very similar to my Dunlop Primetones. I'd recommend that anyone give them a try. For the price, you can't go wrong.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I really like the Planet Waves 346 shape Extra Heavy. I recently commented on the Traveling Pick Sampler thread about how similar it sounds to the Blue Chip TPR 50 that I sampled. I like the Blue Chip better because of the slick feel off the strings and the nice feel it has in the fingers, but the tone is surprisingly similar between the two.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I suppose I'll stir the pot. What's $30 on a pick if you're spending 1500-3000+ on the instrument. Use whatever you like, but the "price" argument, to me, is kinda silly.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mando_Zeek View Post
    I suppose I'll stir the pot. What's $30 on a pick if you're spending 1500-3000+ on the instrument. Use whatever you like, but the "price" argument, to me, is kinda silly.
    I don't think it's silly. I could afford a $30 pick, but if I only very marginally like it better than a 60 cent pick, why spend the money? I could use it for other things that are more important to me.
    Maybe I'm the wrong one to comment though, since the total price of all three of my mandolins (Fullerton Gloucester, Breedlove Crossover and Eastwood Mandocaster) don't even approach $1500.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I wouldn't spend $1500-$3000 on a mandolin if I could buy an equal one for $100. That's where the difference is. To me the question is why should I spend $35 for a pick that IMHO is no better than the one for 50 cents.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

I totally agree with this. However, I don't think that Paul or Mandoplumb are saying that they wouldn't spend the money on high dollar picks. But not everybody hears the same difference or likes them as much as what they're currently using. To those people it be a waste of money, and I can understand that. To some, it makes all the difference in the world and wouldn't use anything else.
    I have used a couple of Blue Chips and my favorite that I've used so far is the TPR50. However, as much as I like it, the tonal difference between it and the Extra Heavy celluloid Planet Waves is not much at all. The difference for me is the smoothness on the strings and the feel of the pick in my hand of the BC, both of which are much better than the celluloid.
    No one should be criticized for using or not using whatever pick they choose. If you deem the price worth it then go ahead and spend away, but if you are happy with what you are using and it provides the tone you like, then that's fine as well.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin