Thread: Eastwood Mandocello is pre-funding

Default Eastwood Mandocello is pre-funding

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JPL For This Useful Post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Re: Eastwood Mandocello is pre-funding

Nice, and a lot cheaper and easier than me trying to mod some junky old guitar...

a 4 or 5 string version would be more appealing for my personal tastes

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by ricomando View Post
    ... a 4 or 5 string version ...
    They seem a bit flexible, as in, "... and we will offer a string guide so that many alternate tunings can be achieved.", so it can't hurt to ask.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Why not just get their baritone tenor guitar? It's 4 courses with a CGDA tuning. Scale length is a little more (27"), but I imagine that could also work as an electric mandocello (and slightly cheaper).
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea44 View Post
    Why not just get their baritone tenor guitar? It's 4 courses with a CGDA tuning. Scale length is a little more (27"), but I imagine that could also work as an electric mandocello (and slightly cheaper).
    But it's not double course--so that could be why--and hey--why not another option?
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

25.5 inch scale length means this would function very well in GDAD tuning, in case you wanna do a Pogues / Great Big Sea / Dropkick Murphys thing.

That, and a 27 inch scale is a bit much to make any decent chords that you're used to. But, with that scale length, think of the spaghetti westerns you could do those low reverb notes to. You'd be the movie soundtrack go-to guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    That, and a 27 inch scale is a bit much to make any decent chords that you're used to. But, with that scale length, think of the spaghetti westerns you could do those low reverb notes to. You'd be the movie soundtrack go-to guy.
    Why do you say that? Baritone guitars often have scale lengths of 27" and longer, and people play chords fine on them. I have a guitar with a 28 1/3" scale, and while more difficult to play than a parlor, isn't unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by ijthompson View Post
    Why do you say that? Baritone guitars often have scale lengths of 27" and longer, and people play chords fine on them. I have a guitar with a 28 1/3" scale, and while more difficult to play than a parlor, isn't unreasonable.
    Tuned in 5ths, it's quite a stretch if you're used to about a 23" tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by ijthompson View Post
    Very true .... I can play chords fine on our baritone guitar .... and I'm a 5'2" female.

I've read in prior threads (like this one http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...single-courses) that people tend to prefer single course vs double for electric instruments. I don't play electric too often, so my original question of "Why not just get their baritone tenor guitar? It's 4 courses with a CGDA tuning" was coming from that perspective. It seems that one could potentially 'think' of that same instrument as an electric mandocello .... long scale with the desired tuning.
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

I'm used to a 25" scale length mandocello, and even then some chords are a stretch. As JPL says, it's tuned in fifths, not fourths, so it's a completely different beast.

The mandocello is cool, but what I would most want from that auction is the Legend Amp.
    That is my dream amp for a guitar--and they stopped making them years ago--whenever one comes up for sale it's when I don't have the extra cash--and they sell quickly.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

This instrument is interesting, but I can't tell that it's been well thought-out. It seems more like a Frankencello to me. The description says "most specifications identical to the standard Warren Ellis Tenor", but it's a different scale length and has a lot more hardware on the headstock. Is that the same body as the WE Tenor? Will it balance well on a strap, or does the upper horn need to be extended? And what's up with the fret marker at the ninth fret? This looks like a conversion, not a new design.

And that's really disappointing, because this is probably a rare chance for an instrument like this (outside of a custom build). I want to want this instrument, but there are too many unanswered questions for an up-front commitment from me.

I guess I'll have to wait for Eddie and Charlie to get theirs and see what they think.
    Think globally, bike locally.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Yeah. I dunno - I prefer the normal WE baritone 2p - unless you can octave pair this one? what would that sound like? would it work?
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I got excited until I saw it was electric. I already have an electric frankencello
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

My search for bottom end has lead me to try and learn electric bass . a natural progression I think . inspired by josef foley

Quote Originally Posted by ricomando View Post
    My search for bottom end has lead me to try and learn electric bass . a natural progression I think . inspired by josef foley
    Well, of course you should try the electric bass guitar! Plenty of us here started on bass of some sort. And it's a great instrument.

Now, if you're looking to take inspiration from bass in that kind of ensemble playing, I recommend you set your inspirational sights a bit higher. Enjoy!
    Think globally, bike locally.

Eastwood Mandocello is fully funded, locked and loaded, and expected to ship April 30. Available in Vintage Cream or Cherry, and it appears they will be doing a run of lefties, in case John Doyle wants in on this electric mandocello action.

Sorry to resurrect this dead thread, but just wondering if anybody jumped on this? I know they've shipped, but haven't seen any chatter or demos. Anybody had an experience with one?

Quote Originally Posted by eadg145 View Post
    Well, of course you should try the electric bass guitar! Plenty of us here started on bass of some sort. And it's a great instrument.

Now, if you're looking to take inspiration from bass in that kind of ensemble playing, I recommend you set your inspirational sights a bit higher. Enjoy!
    Little Known Factoid: Jaco Pastorius played mandocello on "Birdland." :-)

Great to see Weather Report.I used to play bass and saw them live many times.Jaco also played mandocello on the recording.