Thread: Put a GHS A137 Mic in my Oval Hole

Default Put a GHS A137 Mic in my Oval Hole

I should have took pics in the process, but I put one of these GHS Soundhole Mic's (A137) in my Kentucky KM-270.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img55376566.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	140461

I snipped the battery holder off and soldered on one with longer leads and a sping loaded negative terminal (the holder that comes with this unit is garbage). This plastic replacement battery holder is screwed into the neck block now, so the battery is easy to get at. The mic stem is bent into a 180 degree circle and is back aimed towards the tail block, situated about half way between the bridge and the bottom of the oval. It floats in there really nice, clear of the bracing etc.

It works way better than I was expecting (which is why I don't have pics ), but I'd thought I'd share the idea. I run it into my acoustic guitar rig. which includes an Ultrasound/Dean Markley DI Max and some other acoustic-friendly effects such as a looper, and it is loads of fun.

I have a K&K glued into one of my guitars. Those are sure nice, but this was only $55, and fun to figure out how to install as well.
    -Brian

Just an acoustic guitar player that wanted to learn tunes upside down...so I bought a mandolin. Kentucky KM270 to go with a '78 Alvarez Yairi DY57S, a '76 DY57 tuned CGCFGC, and a Gretsch Jim Dandy

2. The following members say thank you to MadMountMan for this post:

Default Re: Put a GHS A137 Mic in my Oval Hole

Great work! I had no idea GHS makes microphone. Did you have to remove the back to install it? Sure would love to see some photos of the microphone after installation, and where you mounted the battery holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    Great work! I had no idea GHS makes microphone. Did you have to remove the back to install it? Sure would love to see some photos of the microphone after installation, and where you mounted the battery holder.
    Yes Clement. You mean the back of the mic right? It is the sort that has an external nut with a cover/strap button that threads over the at the outside of the instrument. With and enlarged (1/2") endpin hole, you insert the mic in through the soundhole and tighten from the outside. One trick is to take a bolt and nut to the open endpin hole and guage the tailblock thickness going in, so you can have the inner nut on the mic perfectly adjusted prior to insertion. I didn't even remove my strings actually, just had to bend them aside slightly. Rather than try to mess with pictures, it was easy enough to sketch this from the GHS's own illustration:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GHS installation.bmp 
Views:	348 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	140521

The little hashes indicate the mic needs to be aimed back towards the tailblock (unlike GHS's illustration). Otherwise it'll feed back like a mother.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GHS installation.bmp 
Views:	374 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	140519  
    -Brian

Just an acoustic guitar player that wanted to learn tunes upside down...so I bought a mandolin. Kentucky KM270 to go with a '78 Alvarez Yairi DY57S, a '76 DY57 tuned CGCFGC, and a Gretsch Jim Dandy

5. The following members say thank you to MadMountMan for this post:

Great explanation Brian!