Thread: Schertler Dyn-M pickup and volume control

Default Schertler Dyn-M pickup and volume control

I just purchased a Schertler Dyn-M for my mandolin, which has an xlr cable and requires 48v phantom power. I then went to my local music stores to try out acoustic instrument amplifiers and found that very few of them provided 48v phantom power. However, I found a used Roland that did. Since it sounded quite good and the price was right, I bought it. Everything is great except that I can't figure out how to control volume in a live situation. Reaching for the volume knob every time I need a boost for a solo is not very practical. Is there a preamp out there that has an xlr input and that will provide the phantom power and foot-controlled volume that I need? I can't imagine that I'm the first person who ever had this problem, but I also can't find anything in my online searches that seems to solve the problem.

2. The following members say thank you to Russell Roe for this post:

gtani7 

Default Re: Schertler Dyn-M pickup and volume control

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Roe View Post
    I just purchased a Schertler Dyn-M ...

Is there a preamp out there that has an xlr input and that will provide the phantom power and foot-controlled volume that I need? I can't imagine that I'm the first person who ever had this problem, but I also can't find anything in my online searches that seems to solve the problem.
    I was wondering the same thing when i got my Eastman with resocoil preinstalled, and found Schertler's https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/s...ps-and-di/apre. I'm guessing somebody must make something similar that feeds into an iphone or android so you can tune, EQ etc but searching sweetwater didn't turn up anything.

There are a number of different transformer adapters available such as this one. You can also use a transformer to 1/4 inch and a volume pedal. Lots of options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xlr_std.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	140310  
    Gail Hester

There are adapters (and I have them) to go from any type of jack or plug connector to any other. However, you may not be able to feed the 48 V thru them. I'm not too familiar with all the Roland amps - if yours has an effects send and return than a good old Electroharmonix LPB-1 (or other volume pedal of your choice) will work.

Blog Entries

First... can we just double check that you definitely do have the 'active' version of the DYN-M that does require +48v, and not the older passive non-active version (now repackaged, I believe) as the DYN Uni?

As Mandobart notes, the requirement for +48v with the DYN-M P48 active models eliminates many options that you could use with 'standard' transducers. There are two approaches to dynamics when using pickups:

1) Control it via picking technique ('pick harder for solos').
    2) Some form of volume pedal or boost switch.

The only way you can do (2) with the P48 pickups is to run it through a suitable preamp or mini-mixer first or, again, as suggested above, insert a volume or boost switch into the FX send/return of the amplifier.

To be clear, as this requires phantom power, and as it is a balanced XLR connection, most 'normal' guitar FX pedals will not interface with it directly, and most 'simple' adapters will not work either.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Thanks for the replies so far. Just to clarify, my pickup IS the newer one that requires 48v phantom power, and the Roland amp does not have an effects loop that would allow the use of a volume pedal. A couple of you posted about small transformers/preamps. Let me see if I understand. If I plugged the pickup into a transformer that supplied 48v, then ran the transformer to an xlr to 1/4' adapter, then to a volume pedal, then to the amp, that would work. Do I have that right?

Blog Entries

No.

A transformer will categorically not work.

It will not pass phantom power. It will galvanically isolate both input and output.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

9. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Guess You over shot .. can you trade it back in ?

got this https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/s...kups/dyn-m-p48

The whole idea IMO the DYN is for Dynamic It is in need no external power,Than a Shure SM57.

apparent Lookalikes should have gotten this one, Its still passive ..

https://secure.schertler.com/en_US/shop/pickups/dyn-uni

door # 3, The Basik is the electaret type , it needs power , way less than 48v though, or even 22v

ditto AKG C411 there is a voltage regulator In the cord of theirs .. to bring it down ..
    (voltage reg may be in the plug of that too)

Would you plug your cell phone into the wall outlet directly?

Run the PU thru a Mic Preamp in a submixer, for the Phantom Power,

then if you want a Pedal,

They're all Hi-Z 1/4"TR for electric guitars so use the out put from the mixer FX loop to go to that .

had a Roland AC-60 for a while input Mic channel has a phantom on/off swiich

back has an EFX out & In , too..
    Last edited by mandroid; Nov-01-2015 at 2:37pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

11. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post: