Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Aaron Weinstein On His Mandolin Chord Melody System Book on Mel Bay

Blog Entries

Default Article: Aaron Weinstein On His Mandolin Chord Melody System Book

Default Re: Article: Aaron Weinstein On His Mandolin Chord Melody System

Yes!! This is great news!

Blog Entries

Kudos to Don Stiernberg who wrote a really great intro for the book. I've had an electronic copy for awhile in preparation for the interview and spent quite a bit of time working through the material. What an eye opener. A really great resource.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Cool, I can't wait to get my hands on one!

If you Google 'bow tie rights activist', you will see Aaron's photo. Well done!

7. The following members say thank you to JH Murray for this post:

Very much looking forward to this!

Blog Entries

In a recent publicity photo, Chris Thile was wearing a bow tie, hand tied, not a clip-on. Your response?
    There's a reason he is a MacArthur genius.
    Cracked me up.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I'm not the type to normally splash out on something unseen, but had no qualms about buying this ebook.

The content looks good at a first browse (apart from a text mashup on page 4 of the PDF)
    Aaron W definitely has a good way of explaining things to make them clear.

Looking forward to working through it.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

11. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    I'm not the type to normally splash out on something unseen, but had no qualms about buying this ebook.

The content looks good at a first browse (apart from a text mashup on page 4 of the PDF)
    Aaron W definitely has a good way of explaining things to make them clear.

Looking forward to working through it.
    The folks at Mel Bay asked me to share this:

We noticed the customer comment about the text on page 4. The issue has been corrected on the eBook and all they need to do is re-download the eBook to get the corrected version.

Blog Entries

Thanks Scott I've just done that and all sorted.

Pretty quick out of the blocks, great to see such attentiveness.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Just curious - was there any prediction when this will be available in printed form?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    Just curious - was there any prediction when this will be available in printed form?
    Well, at Elderly, it says "on order, expected arrival date 10/26/15". I ordered one directly from Mel Bay, and my order status is "backorder". I imagine if Elderly expected them today, it shouldn't be too long.

Blog Entries

When I was having a discussion with my contact at Mel Bay last week they said they thought Nov. 1 would be the print availability date. I suppose that could have changed since then but I think unlikely.

17. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My experience as both writer and retailer for MB, they have 21st Century printing technologies that produce books VERY quickly, but you still have the 20th Century infrastructure of shipping (& receiving) and purchasing agents to deal with. Nov 1 would be admirably quick.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Oct-26-2015 at 5:39pm.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

19. The following members say thank you to Ted Eschliman for this post:

Blog Entries

My contact at Mel Bay just answered an email at 7:15 a.m. and told me 11/1 was still the date they were looking to have it in print.

21. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

So, the e-version is ready to download now? And I can print from that if need be?

As usual, there are not enough sample pages on the Mel Bay website to evaluate the book.

Perhaps Mandoline Cafe can coax the author into sharing a little more here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flattpicker View Post
    So, the e-version is ready to download now? And I can print from that if need be?
    Someone above noted purchasing the eBook from Mel Bay yesterday. Believe it's just a PDF so should be able to print from it if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Someone above noted purchasing the eBook from Mel Bay yesterday. Believe it's just a PDF so should be able to print from it if desired.
    I know that one could print after purchase. I would like to see one complete sample lesson before purchase.

It seems like with most other books you can read whole chapters online before buying. But it seems that with music books, you often have no idea what the teaching method is, and how the book executes it.

I suppose it has something to do with royalties to the music publishers. Even if the actual music was blacked out, it would be helpful to read the discussion of how the piece is approached.

I guess that if there is a money back policy on the e-books that would solve it.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

I just bought this yesterday...as I was kinda having blah practice sessions and wanted a new challenge. What got me interested was the new beatles chord melody book just released. So I have these both to work on now. Its an exciting new challenge. For $15 bucks and a pdf download, its pretty high yield I would say. I knew not much of Aaron beyond watching his videos on youtube and what was mentioned by Don Stiernberg to introduce the book. Which was enough for me to make the purchase, again $15 bucks is pretty cheap compared to some instruction books. I would say that the lesson/structure of the book is challenging in a good way. Concepts are explained well, yet not so much as to spoon feed you...which is challenging. I'm not real familiar with a lot of the chords in the book, which is also exciting and challenging, forcing me to move my fingers is different ways. Aaron shuffles along like some sort of fretboard ninja, its incredible. Chapter One goes something like this: What makes up a chord, Whats a chord voicing and how do we make it, chord voicings. Chapter Two gets into the left hand techniques a bit. Thats all the further I am at this point. Seems, just as the title says, an intelligent and thoughtful system/approach for learning this technique. For myself, its more than that, its challenging me to learn the fretboard and million chord shapes on it. I would say go for it...if you're afraid you wont like it, purchase the print version so you can resell it on the classifieds. I should note, I am not a jazz mandolin player. Hope this helped?
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

I was hoping for an accompanying CD, or some YouTube demo's, especially for the etudes section. Any plans on that end? Love the book! Brett

Blog Entries

I just wanted to chime in for a moment to thank you all for the nice comments I've received about this book. Also, if anyone has questions as you're working through it, feel free to post them here or in the forum and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks again!

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AaronWeinstein For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    I know that one could print after purchase. I would like to see one complete sample lesson before purchase.

It seems like with most other books you can read whole chapters online before buying. But it seems that with music books, you often have no idea what the teaching method is, and how the book executes it.

I suppose it has something to do with royalties to the music publishers. Even if the actual music was blacked out, it would be helpful to read the discussion of how the piece is approached.

I guess that if there is a money back policy on the e-books that would solve it.
    I've seen you repeat this same opinion enough times that it's getting a bit tired. We get it. Instead of continuing to fill up the forum space with the same comment over and over suggest you contact the publishers and take your concern directly to them.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Nov-13-2015 at 9:48am.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

I bought the online version a couple of weeks ago. Certainly worth the money. I'm not much interested in jazz mandolin, but I think these lessons will have broad application. They have quite a lot of info compressed into a concise space, and they make it all look pretty simple. I would like what my students ask from me: suggested fingerings, an audio file to hear the music as written and to slow it down, and a short video to watch the hand techniques.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    I've seen you repeat this same opinion enough times that it's getting a bit tired. We get it. Instead of continuing to fill up the forum space with the same comment over and over suggest you contact the publishers and take your concern directly to them.
    If you get it, an interview that delves into the methodology in adequate detail would be another solution.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!