Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Aaron Weinstein On His Mandolin Chord Melody System Book on Mel Bay

Blog Entries

Default Re: Article: Aaron Weinstein On His Mandolin Chord Melody System

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    If you get it, an interview that delves into the methodology in adequate detail would be another solution.
    Well, good then. Glad you said that. We've ironed this all out then and won't need to discuss further. You don't think publishers include enough free samples for your personal tastes for a $15 product, and you don't like the work I do on interviews for products such as this.

Carry on.

How does this differ from the Chordal melodic motion of Trad Jazz Tenor Banjo players techniques ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Someone above noted purchasing the eBook from Mel Bay yesterday. Believe it's just a PDF so should be able to print from it if desired.
    I have purchased many so-called eBooks from Mel Bay, and against better knowledge I may buy this one too. (TBAS - tune book acquisition syndrome)

eBook:
    I think we should stop calling their simple PDF files "eBooks", and they should do that, too.

Printing:
    With some of the PDF files I have bought Printing did not work. I had to use special software to get it printed.

Several emails I sent in that regard have never been answered.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

Manfred, I too have sent emails about the printing issue and not received a response. A dumb, dumb, dumb policy and until they remedy this I will no longer buy ebooks from MelBay.

If I want to print I can always take a screen shot and print that way, a pain but one way to get around the print issue. Seems this is an issue with iPads and tablets, one can print from Adobe on a PC.

Also, the book is 20% off thru 11/30...Aaron is the featured author.
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Nov-15-2015 at 5:57pm. Reason: Add info

bigskygirl, it is not just a tablet issue. While it worked ok with some, with other files I have tried everything: Laptop, PC, they would not print from Adobe. I used a pdf-editing software (not Adobe) to export the content and then print it.
    Screenshots !!! OMG what a pain.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Manfred, I too have sent emails about the printing issue and not received a response. A dumb, dumb, dumb policy and until they remedy this I will no longer buy ebooks from MelBay.

If I want to print I can always take a screen shot and print that way, a pain but one way to get around the print issue. Seems this is an issue with iPads and tablets, one can print from Adobe on a PC.

Also, the book is 20% off thru 11/30...Aaron is the featured author.
    I wanted to update this...

This morning I receved an email from Mel Bay saying that these files are supposed to print from any computer using Adobe...I then asked about tablets and iPads and I have not yet received a response on that.

I was provided with a way to print my purchases so I would encourage anyone with a print issue to contact Mel Bay for resolution.

I'll update post when/if I receive word about printing from tablets/iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I wanted to update this...

This morning I receved an email from Mel Bay saying that these files are supposed to print from any computer using Adobe...I then asked about tablets and iPads and I have not yet received a response on that.

I was provided with a way to print my purchases so I would encourage anyone with a print issue to contact Mel Bay for resolution.

I'll update post when/if I receive word about printing from tablets/iPads.
    Below is the response (posted here with permission) from Mel Bay on printing from tablets, thanks Gerald for a prompt, helpful response.

Our system is not as stright forward as it could be when working directly from a tablet, but you can download, print and listen to the audio straight from your iPad. In order to work directly from your iPad you must first download a unzip app that allows you download and open our download files that are in a .zip folder, iZip is a free app available in the iTunes store. If you have any trouble downloading or printing the eBooks you purchased directly from your iPad let us know and we'll be glad to help.

Regards,

Gerard Lammert
    Mel Bay Publications, Inc.
    Gerard@melbay.com
    www.melbay.com

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWeinstein View Post
    I just wanted to chime in for a moment to thank you all for the nice comments I've received about this book. Also, if anyone has questions as you're working through it, feel free to post them here or in the forum and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks again!
    Well, first off, I downloaded the PDF version with no problem at all.

And, I want to thank you for this book. I am not a Jazz musician, and my occasional clumsy forays into Swing don't make me one, even if I do know a couple of Bebop scales.

I have been looking for ways to incorporate more Jazz voicings into the tunes we play, which means everything from Pink Floyd to Floyd Cramer to Bob Wills, but whenever I pick up a book on Jazz, it seems I need a BA in music as a primer.

This is different. I LOT different, and I have learned more applicable theory since I bought this (yesterday), than I have in -- I don't know how long.

This might be the most useful music book I have purchased since Pete Seeger's book back in the 1960's.

So, again, Thanks!

Al
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Blog Entries

I'm so glad you're getting something out of this text. Thanks for letting me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    whenever I pick up a book on Jazz, it seems I need a BA in music as a primer.

This is different. I LOT different, and I have learned more applicable theory since I bought this (yesterday), than I have in -- I don't know how long.

This might be the most useful music book I have purchased since Pete Seeger's book back in the 1960's.

So, again, Thanks!

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Hacker View Post
    I have purchased many so-called eBooks from Mel Bay, and against better knowledge I may buy this one too. (TBAS - tune book acquisition syndrome) ... [snip]
    Manfred, I too have TBAS, altho I tend to call it MBAS (mandolin book acquisition syndrome) because it's not just "tune" books I've purchased. I've been frequently disappointed with my purchases, and it's taken me way too long to realize that it's not a lack of books that's holding me back. So I haven't gotten any books in some time, although I did get this one on Christmas, and I'm hopeful I'll learn to be able to incorporate chord melodies into tunes/breaks.

I believe you and I have jammed together at a now defunct jam in Arlington, corner of Glebe and Washington Bvld. bb

The value of this book would be greatly enhanced by a few mp3 demonstrations. Overall, a good, but somewhat terse book -- more like a great outline for the book I'd like to see.

One bit of advice: I recommend strongly against buying the Amazon Kindle version of the book. It would not even download to my Kindle Reader apps, such as the one on my laptop. The Amazon site said they were "unsupported" even though I download to them all the time and I have never seen that problem before except with this book. It would only open on Kindle Cloud and my actual Kindle. On the Cloud Reader, the page size was so small, I couldn't read it. It would not let me enlarge it or can't print it. It was completely useless IMHO. I immediately "returned" it and ordered the paperback version, which has shipped.

I am looking forward to getting it.

13. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

gtani7 

Summit County, Colorado

Waiting for the book via
    Amazon.
    Meanwhile I will be looking for my bow ties.

Summit County, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    Well, first off, I downloaded the PDF version with no problem at all.

And, I want to thank you for this book. I am not a Jazz musician, and my occasional clumsy forays into Swing don't make me one, even if I do know a couple of Bebop scales.

I have been looking for ways to incorporate more Jazz voicings into the tunes we play, which means everything from Pink Floyd to Floyd Cramer to Bob Wills, but whenever I pick up a book on Jazz, it seems I need a BA in music as a primer.

So, again, Thanks!

Al
    +1 Maybe after Weinstein's book I can go back to those jazz books that are gathering dust.

And for those seeking to emulate Aaron's amazing choice of bowties here is an EBAY option

Blog Entries

Noting that today is the one year anniversary of this fine publication!

Thank You, Aaron, for this book and sharing your work. Just what I wanted, after investing many hours exploring this subject
    I think it is a GREAT book.

Maybe you share more of your ideas ? Very interesting

Montana Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Well, good then. Glad you said that. We've ironed this all out then and won't need to discuss further. You don't think publishers include enough free samples for your personal tastes for a $15 product, and you don't like the work I do on interviews for products such as this.

Carry on.

Just ordered the book, looks great for me, a 66 yr old newbie with 5.5 months of focussed melodic practice under his belt. THANKS!
    Mountain Mark
    Clancy, MT

Much traveled 2010 Weber Bitterroot A
    1998 Flatiron Cadet
    Eastman 304

Blog Entries

Noting today's anniversary of this interview.

21. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

g-mac 

Blog Entries

Noting the 5 year anniversary of this remarkable book. Aaron just keeps getting better and better!

23. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

DSDarr 

Blog Entries

A quick note to observe the anniversary of the publication of this fine book this date 2015.

25. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

DSDarr