Thread: New kala tenor

Default New kala tenor

Just got back from Manchester with a new guitar....a Kala and it's a great little instrument.There was a choice of an Ozark 3372 and the Kala.To be honest,there was very little difference between them except the Kala was very slightly basier.Same feel on the the neck and pretty much the same scale length.I broke the A string on the Ozark as soon as I touched it which they were very nice about and promptly changed it.Its tuned in standard CGDA which I like as I'm a six string guitar player and ukulele player so it's nice to have a new project and get to grips with something new.The action was a little high so I asked the technician to lower it a bit and he took a millimetre off the saddle which has made all the difference.I've got a spare set of D'addario J66 strings....32 22 14 and 10 guage as the ones on look a little tarnished.The Ozark was a nice guitar too and both had much the same volume but I just warmed towards the Kala and the tuners are really nice Grover's.....and all for under £200.I have a bit of a problem with my hand so the shorter scale really suits me.Can't think of anything else except I've a lot of new chords to learn and it's good to have a break from my ukuleles that I play most of the time.I'd recommend this guitar,it has a lovely tone and is a joy to play.

Default Re: New kala tenor

Me too, I have a Kala tenor and I also like it. On mine too, the saddle was a little too high and the intonation was a little off, but I filed it down and now it's okay. My only problem is the A-string, breaks quite often.
    As for strings, I ordered single phosphor bronze in 32 and 22. Overall nice instrument.
    You can play great songs with minimum effort

3. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

fox 

Do you use a 10 for the A?

Order a set or two of John Pearse Tenor strings from juststrings.com and tune it to GDAE if you want to try something different.

Ok,thanks for that.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Congratulations, looks like a nice little guitar.
    I have the Ozark, it has a short scale and I don't get problems with a .10 A string. I do go through the odd .10 on my longer scale tenors but that gauge should not cause problems on a short scale.
    Definitely worth trying GDAE though, I buy singles for all my tenor guitars (banjos) .13 .20w .32w .48w seems to work pretty well on 21" scales but I do prefer C tuning on the Ozark.

If you play mostly by yourself, you could also try AEBF# tuning: I did that on my tenor banjo that I strung for GDAE with Nylgut strings for Classical Guitar, but the tension was a little to low, so I brought up the tuning one whole step. For steel string tenor guitar the string gauges should be somewhere between GDAE and CGDA.

But on the tenor guitar I like CGDA best, so I guess I'll have to put up with the occasional broken A string.

Thank you for all the information,I look forward to trying different things but for now it will beCGDA and remembering chord positions.I really love the voicing a it gives with a tenor guitar,great for noodling around!

Summit County, Colorado

The fret markers are not right for a tuning in fifths. Wondering how I could darken some and add some.

Love my Kala KA-GTR as well. And I am no real fan of Kala in general. Got the first one that hit the eastern seaboard when they first came out and dropped a KandK pure mini pickup in it. Sure does sound wonderful plugged in as well.
    Basic "BACK PORCH" picker. ( They don't allow me on the front porch).

12. The following members say thank you to RAGZDADDY for this post:

Since owning a Kala tenor guitar, I take the T-Train almost daily.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post: