Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is going to blow your mind!

Default This is going to blow your mind!

I happened to notice this picture that was published in the February 1923 issue of The Sounding Board Salesman, Gibson's in-house dealer magazine. I did about 15 double-takes, because there are so many startling things about it. First, it's the so-called Bauer Quintet, of which all 5 members were Walter K. Bauer. The picture was "Photoshopped" before there was such an invention.

The caption reads: Following is the personnel of the quintet:First mandolinist and director, W. K. Bauer; second mandolinist and business manager, Walt Bauer; Mando-cellist and press agent Walter Kaye Bauer;mandolinist, vocalist and bartender, W. Kaye Bauer; Mando-bassist and cheer leader, Walter K. Bauer. It will be noticed that there is a marked family likeness shown by the members of the quintet. Mr. Bauer himself however, parts his hair in the middle.

On the left: A black-top K-5 mando-cello. The first known Loar-signed K-5 is dated 2/11/1924, and this picture is from Feb. 1923 or earlier.

2nd from the left: it's hard to see it, but he's holding a black-top "A" mandolin or "H" mandola with f-holes

Seated: It appears to be a black-top F-5.

On the right: A Style "J" mando-bass with an elevated finger-rest (pickguard). Have never seen that.

The real kicker is the photo originally appeared in the December 1922 issue of "The Cadenza" magazine, which would indicate that Gibson had built a "prototype" K-5" and "A-5" as early as Oct.-Nov. 1922!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1923 Bauer quintet Photoshop black K-5.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	139995
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pfox14 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: This is going to blow your mind!

Amazing indeed!

Can't wait for the commentary from the other historical experts!

Thanks for posting this!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Cool...cut and paste before there was cut and paste...really cool about the A5...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    Cool...cut and paste before there was cut and paste...really cool about the A5...
    Literally, CUT and PASTE! (before cut & paste was cool?)
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

"Photochopped"
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Blog Entries

I've done that in the darkroom before. Cool.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

10. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Not unheard of and the origin of the phrase "cut and paste".
    Bill Snyder

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Snyder For This Useful Post:

There is nothing new under the sun. All this trick photography that is done now has been possible for many years. The difference is it used to take thousands of dollars of equipment and a boat load of skill to do it. Now any clown with a computer with an undo button and enough time can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    There is nothing new under the sun. All this trick photography that is done now has been possible for many years. The difference is it used to take thousands of dollars of equipment and a boat load of skill to do it. Now any clown with a computer with an undo button and enough time can do it.
    It's a lost art, for sure, but it was also a very tedious art to do well. I had a long career as a commercial/advertising photographer back in ye olde days of film emulsions. I didn't deal with retouching much, because back then it was "get it right the first time, and don't make it cost too much." But I remember one advertising job where we paid a guy to do some retouching.

We had to shoot a new Cadillac car on the beach in Miami for a local car dealership. We did it shortly after sunset with a nice glow in the sky (gotta have those smooth reflections, when you shoot cars). I had a radio link to my assistant lying down in the front seat, to turn on the headlights and turn them off during the time exposure so they wouldn't burn in too much. It was a fun job.

I shot it on 35mm slide film, clip-tested and pulled or pushed at the E6 lab for the right exposure (now there's another lost art!). Then the final shot was duped to a 5x7" transparency that we sent to the retoucher to clean up the reflections on the car.

This guy hand-painted pigment on the 5x7" transparency to smooth and blend the reflections on the hood and windshield that weren't quite perfect. Try to imagine the viewing magnification, tiny brushes and skill you'd need to do that! It's mind-boggling. The painted 5x7" transparency went to repro as the back cover of a print magazine. I still have a copy of that magazine. You could do that whole job now with 15 minutes in Photoshop.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yes, it was tedious. I remember vividly working on book layouts before DTP came along. We'd lay them up 2X sized... photos would be 'drum scanned' and the resulting grayscale image literally glued to the page.... with scalpels and correction fluid to cover up the edges... fancy fonts were 'Letraset'... what a nightmare that was... each page took hours. Then it would all be photo reduced to get a sharp looking master plate for offset. Seems a lifetime ago, but when you consider the dates involved was "only" around 1986 when it all began to change..... Ventura Publisher running on DOS/GEM... with a "massive" 10 MEGA-byte hard drive! and 640kb of RAM

It seemed like magic at the time. No more glue.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

The mandola-size instrument might be one of Lloyd's 10-string mando-violas.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

19. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that 2nd from the left is an "H-2" mandola with f-holes, even though the caption does not mention a mandolist or mandolaist (if those are real words).
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Paul,

Very cool pic but some of these cool features have been previously discussed.

I believe the instruments above might be the same as featured in this pic I posted at response #84 in this thread http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ar+mando+viola

Also, just because there are no '23 K-5's on the mandolin archive doesn't mean that they are not out there. Here's another thread on that topic.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...vintage+guitar

Phil

I love this stuff!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Yep, that's a well known photo. I don't think any of those are black top, just Cremona Brown. I think that's Loar's 10 string in the photo. This was put together to jest Bauer, who disliked the Style 5 instruments.

Oh yes, of course ... it was Bauer who endorsed the Bacon mandolins because he didn't like the F-hole sound. If someone did this today they'd get sued for $10 million.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pfox14 View Post
    On the left: A black-top K-5 mando-cello. The first known Loar-signed K-5 is dated 2/11/1924, and this picture is from Feb. 1923 or earlier.

2nd from the left: it's hard to see it, but he's holding a black-top "A" mandolin or "H" mandola with f-holes

Seated: It appears to be a black-top F-5.
    I suspect they are sheraton brown, not black.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks for posting this, Paul. 2nd right should be the mando-viola, as for the wide finger board and long head stock; I tend to count ten string posts, hard to tell. The mandolin seems like a proto type, in certain ways much like #70281, which has been the only known F5 before March '23 with tuners angling towards each other at the top and double pick guard binding. However, the pick guard is too small to be #70281, and the bracket is more like the mando viola or the cat. N Fern.
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Oct-25-2015 at 6:07am.

I wish I could see the top of the headstock of the K-5 to see f it has that odd '23 design to it.
    https://www.facebook.com/PreWarGibso...46715905610372

Phil

I doubt it's the K5 with that odd headstock, since that one (#75255; can't open the link, hope we are talking about the same proto K5) has different f-holes. Note the truss rod cover.
    The mando-bass should be this one, perhaps even the K5:

That pic is April '23 AFAIK.

29. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Dobe 

I love that photo, Henry! It's so telling of the "age", the cool factor of the instruments in the face of the "White House".
    Timothy F. Lewis

No I wasn't referring to the unique shape 75255 has. A couple of '23 Loar L-5/K-5 instruments have popped up with a slightly different shaped headstock with a divot in the middle of the top as evidenced by the link I posted above.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I wonder, if I'm the only one unable to open that link?

No Henry, I can't open it either.
    Timothy F. Lewis

I would post a pic from the link but I'm away from computer access for the next week and only able to check in on my phone.

Phil