Thread: O'Flaherty Irish Music Festival

Default O'Flaherty Irish Music Festival

What a feast of Irish music !! Wow ! Just returned a couple of days ago from Midlothian, Texas, Camp Hoblitzelle, site of the Festival. This was a great festival. The performances and instruction were top drawer. Check out their website. I was hesitant about signing up for this because I did not expect to find a large Irish music festival in Texas. Boston, Philadelphia, or Chicago would have been no surprise. My conjecture was wrong. This Festival was the best. Most of the attendees were multi-year veterans. It draws between 200-300 students, all instruments. I hope to go next year.

Mike
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Default Re: O'Flaherty Irish Music Festival

I've said this on here about a thousand times but it's worth repeating. I went to the O'Flaherty retreat in 2007 after I'd only been playing mandolin for about 3 or 4 months. Most of it way over my head, musically, but I had a great time being around such quality people. My main musical takeaway was that I learned 'Hewlett' by O'Carolan, which opened up a lot of music that I'd otherwise likely never have found, and I sat in on a wonderful lecture/demonstration by the master fiddler Matt Cranitch. Even if someone isn't going to become a serious Irish Trad player, they would have a blast at this retreat.

I was there last week end, and had a blast. I was in the mandolin class with Martin Howley. The sessions, the concerts, all the really nice people. There were so many things going on any one person could only take part in a small segment. I intend to go again.

'Was there this year too -- my fourth time, and I really enjoyed it -- the instructor line-up is always top-notch and the camp is extremely well organized. The evening instructor concerts are always outstanding!! I'll go back.
    Too many instruments...too little time

I went this year to mandolin too. It was great learned a lot and have sorted through all the recordings i made at the classes and am working through them.
    This was my second year (fiddle last year) and hope there will be many more. It is very well organized with top quality instructors. I really had a great time.

Blog Entries

Here is their website. http://www.oflahertyretreat.org/