Thread: JUNE mandolin, "another non-tradional build"

Default JUNE mandolin, "another non-tradional build"

Hi, here is another non-traditional mando project that i have been working on. There is an interesting story behind this mando. Its actually F5#29 I built back in 2003. I will share the story when i get the mando completed and ready for sale. Its a killer sounding mando. This particular customer of mine had a really good ear for picking out some of the best mandos i have ever built. He also liked the non-traditional look. He is a very versatile musician and plays everything from gypsy jazz,celtic,bluegrass,old time etc.He is just a great player. I also acquired F5 #18 back from him which i agreed to never sell and pass on to someone else, as i will my F5#1.

walter "JUNE" mandolins and guitars

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicMonkey Collage F5#29.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	139931

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juneman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: JUNE mandolin, "another non-tradional build"

Other than the soundholes, how does it differ from a traditional F-5? Looks like standard woods. What is the bracing and carving like. Were you trying for a different sound as well?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Jim, the pics do not show it too well,but it has the open scroll design and the peghead has the matching design. Otherwise its basically an F5 with the cosmetic differences. According to my memory it has a european spruce top. That would have been carpathian or german spruce not quite sure which. I built some early mandos using both. Its has tone bar braces,cocobolo fingerboard,cocobolo inlay in the peghead that matches the sound holes,a cocobolo pickgaurd, and a custom ebony tailpiece cover with the same cocobolo inlay as the peghead.

walter JUNE mandolins and guitars

5. The following members say thank you to juneman for this post:

I like what you did with the sound holes. Nice!
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Walt, I really like the peghead!