Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Thile Signing Mandolins?

Default Chris Thile Signing Mandolins?

Chris thile is coming to Kalamazoo Michigan on October 30th and I was wondering if he has been known to autograph anything, because I wanted him to sign my first mandolin (Which I don't play anymore)

Default Re: Chris Thile Signing Mandolins?

Cool, but be aware that autographs don't necessarily add value to an instrument. There has been heated debate here (search threads) about the wisdom of having an instrument autographed. If it's just an old mandolin you no longer play, no harm done, if that's what you want.

If I can proffer my personal opinion here -- having lived in Hollywood for many years and personally met maybe 50 well-known personages, I never once asked for an autograph. I think celebrities get tired of that after a while, at least that's what I've been told. If you have a few moments to speak, it's best to say you really like their work (if that's true, which I assume it is in this case) and maybe have one pertinent, important (to you) question to ask (of a professional, non-personal nature) that you really want answered. In the case of Chris Thile, maybe you have a question about practice, how to improve one's playing, how to deal with stage fright, recording, or something like that. Or if he has a favorite instrument, or a "dream mandolin" that he'd like to have but doesn't own, etc.

I think celebrities appreciate knowledgeable questions more than autograph requests. They also appreciate fans with in-depth knowledge of their work. So if you're not already familiar with Chris' work (I'm not), maybe cram a little via Allmusic or Wikipedia to brush up on his discography and history so if you do get a chance to talk to him, you won't make an embarrassing mistake (I once embarrassed myself mightily by complimenting an actor for a movie he wasn't even in.)

Interesting that he's coming to Kalamazoo. Maybe you could get in a comment about the old Gibson factory there. If you're a local you might have some information about the city that he's not aware of and might appreciate.

Anyway, just an opinion. Good luck and I hope you get to meet him and have a good encounter.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

az
    Last edited by Teak; Oct-21-2015 at 8:55am.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

It's always funny to me when somebody asked a simple question, i.e. "Does Thile sign because I want my mandolin signed?" that they get responses telling them why they shouldn't want that or do it, rather than an answer to the question.
    I haven't seen Thile yet so I can't answer either but I want to follow this because I may see him next month if it works out.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Petrus, what might Mr. Thile or, the original poster have to say about a building which has nothing to do with mandolins anymore? Granted, I have taken visitors there as a pilgrimage but, given the current state of disrepair, it's really kind of sad to go see. It will be more impressive after the smokestack is restored.
    Not being snarky but, just wonder what you might think he would have to say about the building? It's a lot different than when his Loar was built. It would almost be like taking someone to a bare field and asking how they liked the forest where the lumber was harvested.
    There are quite a few Kalamazooans who have never seen the building and, have no clue to the amazing history in those square feet. Which is a little sad as well. Such is life.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

I don't know about Chris, but sometimes some of the greats won't sign a mandolin lest it appear they were endorsing that particular model of mandolin.

If you can get him to sign, maybe get a picture of the two of you together. Print that picture to paper and keep the paper in the case with the mandolin. 100 years from now someone will thank you.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I like that photo op, style of autograph Jeff! Picture and story, good thinking.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Sometimes a celebrity autograph might add to the value of the item. Most of the time it doesn't.

http://www.billmonroemusicpark.com/i.../Autograph.jpg
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

If I can proffer my personal opinion here -- having lived in Hollywood for many years and personally met maybe 50 well-known personages, I never once asked for an autograph. I think celebrities get tired of that after a while, at least that's what I've been told. If you have a few moments to speak, it's best to say you really like their work (if that's true, which I assume it is in this case) and maybe have one pertinent, important (to you) question to ask (of a professional, non-personal nature) that you really want answered. In the case of Chris Thile, maybe you have a question about practice, how to improve one's playing, how to deal with stage fright, recording, or something like that. Or if he has a favorite instrument, or a "dream mandolin" that he'd like to have but doesn't own, etc.
    I'm not in on the to or not to autograph debate, but I did want to comment. A few years back a very well known male actor was filming in a rural town near me. He later commented and complained calling it a hick town. He was disappointed no one recognized him or asked for a photo or autograph while he was visiting local establishments.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

13. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hiya,

I have talked to Chris numerous times at live shows and he has been gracious enough to sign a bunch of CDs and LPs for me. I think I've seen him sign mandolins for kids that were into that sort of thing (I am not). He has always been engaged and encouraging, and willing to sign anything handed to him.

However since his fame has been increasing and his schedule has turned into a whirlwind I've found less opportunities to get close enough to ask, and haven't had an opportunity to talk to him or get an autograph since around the time of the MacArthur Foundation award. I'm sure he would if you get the opportunity, but just don't count on the opportunity.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Petrus, what might Mr. Thile or, the original poster have to say about a building which has nothing to do with mandolins anymore? Granted, I have taken visitors there as a pilgrimage but, given the current state of disrepair, it's really kind of sad to go see. It will be more impressive after the smokestack is restored.
    There's a FB page devoted to "Save the Smokestack," apparently, so I guess it's a local landmark. They probably don't have much else there. Corn flakes? (Wait, that's Battle Creek.) I've been through the town but didn't know about Gibson back then and certainly didn't recognize the stack.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Gibson-...6539726030337/

Celebrity autographs devalue the instrument ....... especially if it is a decent instrument.
    ..... f5joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    There are quite a few Kalamazooans who have never seen the building and, have no clue to the amazing history in those square feet. Which is a little sad as well. Such is life.
    Its really true, and really sad.

I am sobered by the amount of significant history that is just about everywhere. Not usually political history or the history of princes and kings, but just every day stuff - like what was invented here, and how this changed the world.

I am a technologist and as part of my work I get into a lot of manufacturing plants. I try always to spend a little time learning what all has been made there. Sometimes it is just amazing and you stand in awe.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have had many instruments signed by different people, when i have it signed it isn't for resale value it is for me to keep and treasure
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

20. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I've seen a mandolin he signed at a festival once...if you want it, get it!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I once saw a customer on the TV show Pawn Stars, going into the Vegas pawnshop with a somewhat beaten-up guitar he wanted to sell - for a lot of money. "It's signed by Chuck Berry," said the customer, hinting that it must be worth a fortune. "Chuck Berry has signed thousands of guitars for ten dollars a time," said the pawn shop man. Exit left disgruntled guitar owner.
    Eastman 504, Eastman 305, Grafton P-200 open back mandolin banjo

23. The following members say thank you to Tezzerh for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    There's a FB page devoted to "Save the Smokestack," apparently, so I guess it's a local landmark. They probably don't have much else there. Corn flakes? (Wait, that's Battle Creek.) I've been through the town but didn't know about Gibson back then and certainly didn't recognize the stack.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Gibson-...6539726030337/
    The save the stack thing has worked through diligence of some local historians and preservationists, precious little from the teeming number of musicians who have profited from the labor of the skilled staff under the shadow of the stack. Not begging for support from them, just sad that so few have acknowledged the effort.
    Corn flakes is Battle Creek, you are correct. There are quite a few feathers in Kalamazoo's cap actually. The origin of the Upjohn company, celery farming, Shakespeare sporting goods, Checker motors, the paper industry. Not blowing a horn well, maybe a little but, some have died and some have changed hands. Come and visit, we can make some music, and I will be happy to show you about.
    It's all good, I'm just not so sure what Chris Thile might really have to say about much in Kalamazoo, not sure how many times he's been here. It would be fun to squire both of you guys around for that matter, fun chatting, eating, etc.
    Timothy F. Lewis

25. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Petrus 

I had him (and Critter) sign the underside of my tailpiece cover. He's very approachable.

27. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

If you're into someone the autograph won't have to be about dollar value. Shame it always seems to come down to what can be made from it. But in terms of the original question, not something I'd want but I totally appreciate the motive - I've never been above getting a photo with my heroes and I've never had a bad experience asking. They're jusy people, as long as you're polite and friendly no harm done. Spoke to Chris briefly in Birmingham UK a few years ago and he was very affable (but didn't have a camera to hand darn it).

Just a thought: I had a guitar signed by a very famous guitarist once...I later felt so ridiculous playing it that I actually put it away and have a different guitar I play in front of people now...there was something so "fannish" about it I felt embarrassed.

If you're a fan, great, have it signed, makes a great souvenir.

If you ever want to sell it, it makes it HARDER to sell. I say that having worked at a vintage shop. In fact, many times we applied polishes, cleaners, buffers, hoping the signature would come off -- sometimes they don't -- depending on the marker used.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    I think I've seen him sign mandolins for kids that were into that sort of thing
    Did you warn those kids that they wouldn't be increasing the resale value of their instruments?
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

Quote Originally Posted by GDAE View Post
    Just a thought: I had a guitar signed by a very famous guitarist once...I later felt so ridiculous playing it that I actually put it away and have a different guitar I play in front of people now...there was something so "fannish" about it I felt embarrassed.
    I had a guitar signed by a bigshot player once. I ended up removing the autograph because I felt so ridiculous as the years went on.

Side note: As this fellow was signing the guitar (Strat) with a paint pen, he commented on how much fun it was writing with it and made little dots all over the guitar. It was a mess by the time he was done. Not to mention the fact that he wrote his name so large that it took up most of the unpickguarded surface. I was a goofy kid (19) and he was a goofier adult.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

I like the idea of Trigger. Willie has gotten not one, but scores of autographs scratched into the old guitar. We've read a couple stories here of how 'foolish fans' later want to remove autographs from instruments. So, IMO you should be certain it's what you want before you do it, and if so, hand 'em a Bic ballpoint and ask 'em to "scratch it in real good". Start a collection going.

I had a friend who had an oak dining table in his kitchen. Over the years he'd had his visitors, friends, family, aquaintances, associates, scratch and doodle their names and messages into it. It was a great old conversation piece, and I loved it. Who cares if the "resale value" was diminished? It could still be a value heirloom to your progeny, and if not, who cares what happens to it when you're gone? I say go for it. Give Thile a ballpoint.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

34. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post: