Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin straps

Default Mandolin straps

Was just wondering if a strap should be left on the instrument while in the case. Reason for asking are the chemicals used it the treatment of straps to soften them detrimental to the finishes on the mandolins?

I know that Martin guitar tells you not to leave a strap over the top of their guitars.

Steve

Default Re: Mandolin straps

Bought my Martin in 1974, always laid the leather strap over the face of the guitar when casing it, no problem thus far.

Have any specific chemicals in mind or is this Any Chemical?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have heard that a leather strap laid across the strings will kill the strings, I guess it is the oil in the leather, that's why I never used a leather strap on a guitar...

Willie

I use a rawhide bootlace, when cased, it's all over the mando with no issues.

I never take my straps off and haven't had any issues.

My leather straps have always stayed on my guitars over the last 40-odd years without a problem. Leather straps have also stayed on my mandolins over the last 3 and a half years with no problem. YMMV, etc.

8. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

I leave the strap on the mandolin's scroll but not on the button as I find it doesn't sit well in my case. I just unbutton it from the bottom (usually do this by habit after playing anyway), then lay the strap over the mandolin. I have seen some wrap the strap around the mando before putting it in the case. I don't understand why - I've never liked doing that personally.

I have a Gibson F9 and never take the tone-gard or strap off. Fits in the Gibson case just fine.

I have a backup Morgan Monroe MMS8 in a soft case and never take the strap off either (don't have a tone-gard for that one).

I say, leave it on - it's faster to pick up and play and causes no damage (provided your case is large enough)

I've never had a problem with any commercial leather strap causing a problem with lacquer, poly, varnish, French Polish, oil finishes, whatever. The only thing to be careful of is that the strap is NOT putting pressure on the top!

OTOH, NEVER leave a strap with nylon webbing (the cheap straps) or plastic end pieces on the instrument (I suggest not using them at all!).

I've always used Long Hollow and Lakota leather straps and they always stay on the mandolin in the case. I have mandolins with new and old finishes and I've never had a problem.

A buddy of mine was temporarily using a cheap nylon strap on his Martin guitar one time and only a week's worth of storage in the case messed up the finish.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I didn't think of other kinds of materials - my straps are all leather btw

Martin primarily uses nitrocellulose lacquer which can react to some polymers in synthetic straps. That is why leather straps are not much of a problem on nitro finishes. I have seen non-leather straps melted to martin tops. Varnish finishes are typically soft when new and any strap could possibly mar them if pressed into them. I use leather straps on my mandos and just lay them in the case so they go around the body, not over the top.

If you are ever playing somewhere where perspiration makes the strap damp or even wet, it would make perfect sense to avoid leaving the strap in contact with the instrument, all the more so when the moisture might be compressed against the top where the case lid comes down to rest on the instrument.

I've used leather straps on every instrument i've ever owned in 50 years & not had one tiny bit of damage. However,the armrest that i fitted to one ''once owned'' mandolin,flaked some finish off the side = leather straps every time but no more armrests !!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I have a leather strap from dsl on my ELS. I forgot to take it off and slightly scratched the back with the buckle. Other than that no issues with leather straps.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I have heard that a leather strap laid across the strings will kill the strings, I guess it is the oil in the leather, that's why I never used a leather strap on a guitar...
    It depends on how the leather was tanned; some are worse than others. Certain chemicals in the tanning processes will indeed cause corrosion when the leather is left in contact with steel. I've seen many a nice rifle ruined by leaving a leather sling in contact with the metal parts. Even with a "bluing" finish on the metal, a lot of rifle slings will corrode the sling swivels over time, which is evidence that there is an active reaction happening.

I use mostly Lakota leather straps (plus one or two home-made straps). I leave them attached at the scroll end, but I unbutton them from the end pin, roll them up, and stuff them in the space next to the peg head in the case, making sure they are not laying over the top where they would contact the tuner posts or strings or gears. Never had a problem doing it that way. I have also occasionally left one buttoned to the end pin, and laid gingerly over the top of the instrument (not over the bridge). But I usually avoid this, just in case it might rub against the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    A buddy of mine was temporarily using a cheap nylon strap on his Martin guitar one time and only a week's worth of storage in the case messed up the finish.
    I don't know about real nylon, but there are various grades of plastics/polymers that can ruin finishes. Vinyl is a well-known problem, as described here: Vinyl is the enemy.

18. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

slk 

I like that idea of rolling it up and putting it by the peg head.

Also don't ever leave bullets in a holster like the old western style ones with the hoops for the bullets. They will corrode the bullets like mad.

Martin states that any strap related issues will not be covered by warrantee.

Steve

Vinyl straps can ruin some finishes. I've seen a two inch strip of bubbled finish across the back of a guitar. The vinyl strap was left laying across the back in the case. Don't leave your instruments lying in vinyl furniture.

Blog Entries

I use standard guitar straps. I generally take them off each time when I put the instrument away.

I don't use a strap all the time. In fact I prefer not to, so I don't know if next time I pick up the instrument am going to want a strap.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've never taken the strap off of any of the instruments I have, and I've never had any problems at all over these 40+ years. All my straps have been leather, except for the current mando strap I have. I couldn't find a nice leather strap for it when I needed one, so I bought a length of nylon strapping at the local hardware store/ had it sewn up at the length I needed, and have used it ever since. It's the strap you see in my avatar, and it works great.

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

For braided straps: Depends on what the leather is treated with. Many braiders use one or more substances on the leather to asist the threads in laying properly next to each other when braiding. This applies to both flat and round braids. I am a braider, and I personally use a homemade concoction of Ivory soap, lard and water, cooked into a light paste. It feels oily, but dries out eventually.

I also use baby powder when I do not want any of the braiding soap (the concoction mentioned above) to transfer to fabric. But powder is more difficult to work with, so I wind up using it pretty much for hatbands only. If your braider does it dry, with leather that is properly tanned, it should not damage anything (I may be a pretty damn good braider, but I am no expert on wood finishes, so if I were you I would make sure someone so qualified chimes in).

If you have a rawhide strap, it likely was treated with some sort of braiding soap/saddle soap type of grease before it was wound; just a word to the wise.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

24. The following members say thank you to Gregory Tidwell for this post:

slk 

Ok I have decided on a type of strap. I want to get a braided one. Does anyone recommend a good brand. I like the looks of those Lakota ones. I am sure there are others out there. I like the idea of ELK leather. It sounds as if they are pretty soft and durable.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by slk View Post
    Ok I have decided on a type of strap. I want to get a braided one. Does anyone recommend a good brand. I like the looks of those Lakota ones. I am sure there are others out there. I like the idea of ELK leather. It sounds as if they are pretty soft and durable.

Steve
    The Lakota Leather straps made from elk are indeed very soft (I have both the flat braid and round braid versions). They feel like chamois. But they do stretch a little, so be aware of that.

One other question. I am looking at the braided straps. What is the most comfortable flat braid or round braid? Or is it a wash with how light the instrument is anyways. I am leaning toward the style of those Lakota Elk hide ones

Steve

I have a Lakota flat braid on one of my Breedloves and it's very comfortable. Even though the instrument isn't all that heavy, it still spreads the weight out on your back and neck. In addition, the leather is very soft and still strong.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.