Thread: C7 and G7 Chop Chords

Default C7 and G7 Chop Chords

What would a chop chord be for C7 and G7? I usually use 3 finger chop chords if that helps.
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

Default Re: C7 and G7 Chop Chords

For a C7, I sometimes use the same shape as I use for a B7 chord, just moved up one fret. It would be 5576. Or, if I were starting on a straight C chop chord of 523X, I just transition to a C7 by flipping my middle and ring fingers to each other's strings and go to a 323X chord. Likewise, I move that up 2 frets for a D7 chord, using 545X.

A G7 chop chord isn't easy to transition to from a typical four-fingered chop chord (7523), so you could play it as 432X or 4321. The problem for chopping is that it's kind of low down there on the fretboard and tends to sound flabby instead of choppy. The F note, of course, is what gives it the 7th sound, and it's not in a real convenient place. To be honest, I just play a regular G chop and don't worry about the flatted 7th note.

*edited to add:

You are aware of the Mandolin Cafe chord database, right? Go up to the learn/listen tab at the top of the page and choose "Chord Library" from the drop-down. Then use the menu there to choose a C7 chord.

3. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    For a C7, I sometimes use the same shape as I use for a B7 chord, just moved up one fret. It would be 5576. Or, if I were starting on a straight C chop chord of 523X, I just transition to a C7 by flipping my middle and ring fingers to each other's strings and go to a 323X chord. Likewise, I move that up 2 frets for a D7 chord, using 545X.

A G7 chop chord isn't easy to transition to from a typical four-fingered chop chord (7523), so you could play it as 432X or 4321. The problem for chopping is that it's kind of low down there on the fretboard and tends to sound flabby instead of choppy. The F note, of course, is what gives it the 7th sound, and it's not in a real convenient place. To be honest, I just play a regular G chop and don't worry about the flatted 7th note.

*edited to add:

You are aware of the Mandolin Cafe chord database, right? Go up to the learn/listen tab at the top of the page and choose "Chord Library" from the drop-down. Then use the menu there to choose a C7 chord.
    No, wasn't aware of the database but I'll probably take your advice in dropping the G7 to just a regular G because it's just one quick stroke then goes into the C chop so it would be easier. I'll fool around with the C/C7 also.

THANKS

By the way, I'm attaching a chart that you might find helpful. This is something I originally created for teaching my wife mandola chords. But I've altered it to be specific to mandolin (same fingering, just different chord names).

It's a PDF file that shows all the possible notes you can use to build major, minor, and 7th chords, up to the 7th fret. There are fret board road maps out there on the web that will give you the notes all the way up the neck, if you want. But this is a handy chart for referencing when you're looking for an alternate way to play a chord. Rather than sticking with someone else's formula for a chord shape, look at the chart and see if there's any combination there that works for you.

For any chord you want to play, you can use any of the dots shown on the chart. You might find a unique combination that works for you. And keep in mind that the 7th chords are the exact same as the major chords, just with the added flatted 7th notes. There is no rule that says you must play the flatted 7th note. Guitar players generally take care of that, and we mandolin players can just play major chords instead of 7th chords if we want to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mandolin Chord Ingredients.pdf  

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    By the way, I'm attaching a chart that you might find helpful. This is something I originally created for teaching my wife mandola chords. But I've altered it to be specific to mandolin (same fingering, just different chord names).

It's a PDF file that shows all the possible notes you can use to build major, minor, and 7th chords, up to the 7th fret. There are fret board road maps out there on the web that will give you the notes all the way up the neck, if you want. But this is a handy chart for referencing when you're looking for an alternate way to play a chord. Rather than sticking with someone else's formula for a chord shape, look at the chart and see if there's any combination there that works for you.

For any chord you want to play, you can use any of the dots shown on the chart. You might find a unique combination that works for you. And keep in mind that the 7th chords are the exact same as the major chords, just with the added flatted 7th notes. There is no rule that says you must play the flatted 7th note. Guitar players generally take care of that, and we mandolin players can just play major chords instead of 7th chords if we want to.
    Wow, thanks. I will print that out. I know where all of the notes are on the fretboard but I have trouble with knowing what notes to put together to make chords because I've never studied theory like that. Going to get into it gradually with my instructor though.

I looked at the Mando Cafe database too.... Now I just feel silly. ROFLOL Totally missed that.

Thanks, Tobin! What an incredible chart...and for a newbie's eyes, it's more than awesome (I'm the newbie, of course)! I've been having trouble with Em. This will allow me to use a diff voicing.

Quote Originally Posted by madmag View Post
    Thanks, Tobin! What an incredible chart...and for a newbie's eyes, it's more than awesome (I'm the newbie, of course)! I've been having trouble with Em. This will allow me to use a diff voicing.
    I've found a good EM chop is 457X but then again, you may not be looking for a chop chord.

nice C7.....3233

There are a lot of 7th chords but an easy way is the 3 finger chord shape of C7 as 323x and G7 as x323.

This shape is rooted on the 3rd finger assuming you finger it 213.

The other easy 3 finger chord I use has no root. C7 would be x576, G7 798x.

Useful for jazz too.

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    I've found a good EM chop is 457X but then again, you may not be looking for a chop chord.
    I use that one a lot, especially for tunes in G where I may be going back and forth to Bm using 445X and G using 755X. It's an easy switch.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    .... I know where all of the notes are on the fretboard but I have trouble with knowing what notes to put together to make chords because I've never studied theory like that. Going to get into it gradually with my instructor though......
    Forgive me, but that's the mistake I think most beginners make.
    If you sit down one afternoon and understand just a few things about chord theory, it can revolutionize your whole outlook on music and will make it so much simpler and understandable.

Memorize JUST ONE of the MAJOR chord ingredient charts, and learn each of the notes AS THE 1, 3, & 5 of the major chord (rather than learning it as 'G', 'B', & 'D' for instance).

Realize that ANY COMBINATION that you put together can be moved around the fingerboard vertically or horizontally, or both, and remain valid.

Know that a major chord is made of the 1, 3, & 5 notes.

Know that all minor chords are merely the major chord with the '3' note moved one fret lower (toward the nut).

Know that all dominant 7th chords are merely the major chord with the flat-7 note added to the chord. (That's the note 2 frets lower than the root note of the chord.)

So, in one afternoon, you can suddenly know how to make several shapes of major, minor, and 7th chords IN EVERY KEY.

Cool.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”