Thread: Roland Mini Cube with mandolin

Default Roland Mobile Cube with mandolin

Has anybody used the Roland Mobile Cube with a mandolin?
    I would like to use it as a personal monitor on stage with my Godin A8, and for basking on the street. I like clean sound, with a little reverb.
    How does it compare with the Roland micro cube Gx and Yamaha Thr10 ?
    Does it have enough volume? Clear sound?
    Last edited by Sevelos; Oct-15-2015 at 4:22am.

Default Re: Roland Mini Cube with mandolin

Or perhaps Roland AC-33?

FWIW I was looking at these for a battery amp a month or two ago. I haven't heard the Mobile cube, but I did try a Fender passport mini in a band setting as a monitor and it wasn't loud enough -no one else was amplified. I did think about the AC33 -which would be more like it, I know someone who uses one in sessions -I guess as a personal monitor, because I can rarely hear him.

I went with a 40W powered speaker and preamp in the end, decided to worry about batteries later, the volume seems to be about right, although I am still working on getting a good tone out of it. Might just have had a breakthrough with an old Zoom G1.

4. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Don't have a mandolin with me (currently visiting Tokyo) and there were none in the music amplifier shop, so I tried all these amps with an acoustic guitar hoping that it sounds similar enough.

First I tried the Roland Mobile AC (A newer, more "acoustic" version of the Mobile Cube). Very small, compact and cute amp, acoustic mode sounds ok up to 6 meters. When you try the highest volumes, it winds the playing volume down in a somewhat worrying way.
    Tried the Yamaha THR10. The sound is very nice, better than the Mobile AC, however the volume is weak and you hardly hear the basses. I suspect that basking with it would be difficult even in a relatively quiet environment.
    Tried the Roland Micro cube. When in "clean" mode, the sound is really weak and dirty. Quite bad. In the "acoustic" mode, the volume is much higher (also higher than the Yamaha) but it sounds too electric to my taste. I don't really care about all its distortion modes, as I intend to play clean mandolin (with some reverb).
    I read some lookwarm reviews of the Roland Street Cube, so I didn't bother testing it.
    The Roland Street Cube Ex (a bigger and much louder version of the Street Cube) felt too large and heavy. Wouldn't enjoy dragging it around for basking.

Tried the Roland AC-33 and ... behold! It sounds very stable and respectable, like a "real" full-sized amp. It has line-out jacks, so it's relatively simple to use as a personal monitor. I bought it!! As it also has an internal Looper, I also bought a Boss VS-6 pedal.
    Unfortunately I couldn't try it with batteries in the shop. I understand that on Batteries it produces only 20W instead of 30W and only max. 8 hours of play (compared to the 20 of the Mobile Cube). Hope it doesn't disappoint me when I'm back to Israel and actually try it with my Godin A8.

6. The following members say thank you to Sevelos for this post:

derbex