Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Set Up Ebook and Mandolin Users

Default Re: Mandolin Set Up Ebook and Mandolin Users

Hi Rob,

I just received your set-up eBook. Thank you for offering this immense work for free. I will spend much time going over your details. Again, thank you very much for sending me this great eBook. All the best to you!

James Cashin
    Brooklyn, NY
    James

Thanks for the book , Bob. Really well written and easy to follow. The pics help a lot.

I'm with Fingers, a little late in commenting since receiving the e-book but wow. What a useful resource. Another great tool for the tool box.

Thanks tons Rob

Big Mando Thanks to Rob for his set-up book !!! Can never have too much info. Thanx again for your generosity.

A huge thank you for your really nice and really well written and really helpful ebook !!!
    I just started mandolin but i already love its people.

I'm putting in my two cents here. Rob sent me his book, and it was a fascinating, well put together read. I'm not looking to tweak a cheaper mandolin, I wanted to know what I could do for the two mandolins I already have that have been pretty abused in traveling and jamming. His book nicely explains a lot of things I had no clue on. I now have a lot better idea of what I can do to keep my toys sounding good. If you want a quick course in how your mando works and what makes it work better, get this book. Now excuse me, there's a buzz in my travel mando I've got to go kill.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

Rob sent me a copy of the e-book last summer. I believe I thanked him (if I slipped up, THANK YOU ROB), and I also have posted here in other threads how great the book is. I really appreciate those more experienced people being willing to share with newbies. My saddle broke last summer, and recently broke again. The inexpensive mandolin still sounds pretty good, but I went ahead and bought a new Eastman MD505 Blem from The Mandolin Store. I decided that since another saddle broke, the neck may be displaced upwards a little and I had to sand the new saddle too much to get the correct string height above the frets.

Hello,

I've just received the e-book and it helps me a lot.
    I'm new to mandolin (and to the café ), and I did'nt even know how a well set-up mandolin should be.
    This book already answered many of my questions.
    It's easy to understand, even for a french man like me.

Thanks a lot Rob!!!
    Respect for sharing your knowledge for free!!!!

I live in south of France and it's difficult for me to find people interested in mandolin.
    This forum and people like Rob is great help!
    I think I'll have many other questions to ask.
    May be It will improve both my mando playing and my english writing

Sorry for my poor english.

Nice to meet you mando players!

Thanks so much for the book, Rob. Wonderful resource.

Thanks Rob for providing such a valuable resource for free. I would have gladly paid for it.

I'm a bit remiss as Rob sent me the book a while back, but I hadn't had time to tweak my cheap MK mando, so hadn't yet posted my thanks. Have to say, the book was very useful and I've now today successfully tweaked the action to bring it down and speed things up a fair bit. Thank you, sir!

Just wanted to drop a quick thanks to Rob, really looking forward to digging in and getting the most from my mandolin.

Thanks for the Ebook, Rob. That was quick response. You've helped a lot of folks with their mandolin setup.

Rob, want to thank you for the eBook. Great to have such information to hand in one place. Now all I need is time to get at it....definitely this weekend !

Derek Whitcroft

Rob, I just downloaded your ebook. Thanks so much for making it available especially since its free! It has enough good ideas in there that it would be worth paying for. I thought I had a good idea what went into a setup but a quick glance shows how much I don't know. I'm sure the ideas in there will help both the mandolin I bought new a few years ago and the bowlback that I brought back from the dead play better.

Mike Durling

Rob, thank you very much for sending your book. In this day and age of getting less than your money's worth your generosity is truly a breath of fresh air!!

Mindin' my own bizness BJ O'Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rob,
    I did a setup on my traveling ($75) mandolin a few months ago. Today I needed to change the strings on the "Good" mandolin. The action was too high on this mandolin and I finally had the guts to bring the action down. It worked very well. Sounds great and is easier for me to play. Thanks for sharing your setup guide.
    BJ

thanks to Rob for the ebook! I have an old Kentucky mandolin bought in 1999 for $130, always thought it was just terrible quality until I realized (recently) it had not been set up. I think I first saw Rob's youtube videos but only in the last few weeks I have been working through Rob's book and am almost done with a proper set up and it's finally fun to play. I still have no idea what I'm doing as a player, but I'm incredibly grateful for the generosity and attention to detail that helped someone turn a nonfunctional instrument into a working one. Prior to working on it, intonation was terrible, it 'wasn't in tune' and my fingers hurt (I play acoustic guitar) and the action was incredibly high. now my fingers don't hurt (and I won't be pulling landscaping duty either...)

any Madison WI players, I'm happy to lend out the nut saws...

George

Also a new member of the café, here.

Rob, thanks a lot for a fantastic tool. It suddenly made things clear to me what I should have been doing. I've just bought a mandolin to replace the useless one I'd purchased. Well, now it seems it might not have been so useless after all. Actually it is, but just a bit of work on the nut and saddle improved the action immensely. The new one has been set up by a luthier, and checking it out using Rob's ebook showed me that there's been a bit of work done on my new mandolin.

Rob, thanks a lot.

/ulf

Just received the ebook...thanks so much Rob for this valuable piece of knowledge I'm new to the Mandolin and I'm sure this will come in handy.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Oh snap! Thank you!

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Hi all, I too have the e-book. Have used it to work over 3 mandolins so far. My Eastman needed very little tweaking as it was bought from a small acoustic shop. The Washburn needed a bit more work however with a little bit of time and Rob ' s directions sounds very nice. I also worked over a New Yorker Supreme. I am so very grateful for the information contained in this e-book.
    Thanks , Larry
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

I failed to thank you,Rob, after receiving your book some months ago, however, in my defense I was not a cafe member until recently. Your book was so easy to understand and left me completely at ease when tackling my first setup. I thank you for your generous contribution to the mandolin community.

Yesterday morning I requested Rob's book and by yesterday afternoon it was sitting in my inbox. Along with the book I had links to a couple of YouTube videos that I immediately watched. I have since read about one fourth of the book and must say that it is excellent. It is written to where even a complete newbie like myself can read and understand what is being said. At some point in the near future, I may look for an inexpensive mandolin and attempt much of what is written. Rob, your generosity and assistance is outstanding and I truly thank you for your efforts.

Rex

Rob Meldrum sent me a copy of his e-book on mandolin set up. Rob, many thanks! The book is really clearly written (easy to comprehend) and the photos are quite helpful. Thank you for providing a great service to the mandolin world.

--John