Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of mandolins vs other instruments

Default Benefits of mandolins vs other instruments

I have noticed since I started learning mandolin, that even though what I have read says mandolin strings are harder to fret than guitar, not really so. I have VERY short fingers, and my mandolins are easier to fret than my guitar. I bought a Loar LM 220 to learn on, and also two bowlbacks (MAS in effect.) The bowlbacks are even easier to fret than the Loar (although I like all of them for different reasons.) I can reach the strings! So any guitar players with short fingers, take up the mandolin!

Default Re: Benefits of mandolins vs other instruments

There are sooooooooooooo many other benefits to playing the mandolin.

I too am a new player, glad you are liking mandolin. For me the jury is still out if it is easier than guitar, although 4 strings seems easier to learn patterns on than 6. I haven't bought any additional ones yet (GAS/MAS is still low).

If your instrument is properly set up (assuming an instrument can be) and with the right strings, you don't have to face difficulty in fretting due to string height and high tension. There was a topic on here a few years ago where several members had tried the mandolins of well known working performers, and were shocked to discover that the action was much lower and easier than expected.

Another benefit is that it's easier to grab your case and run for it when the cops come around to crack down when you're busking in Paris.

It is definitely easier to transport. I have never had a problem carrying my hybrid oval-hold F onto a plane in its gigbag, and i normally just stuff most of it under the seat in front of me.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    : also two bowlbacks (MAS in effect.) The bowlbacks are even easier to fret than the Loar (although I like all of them for different reasons.) I can reach the strings! So any guitar players with short fingers, take up the mandolin!
    The bowlbacks may have a shorter scale length. This makes it a bit easier to play wider stretches.

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    For me the jury is still out if it is easier than guitar, .
    I've played both since I was a kid. the jury's still out, but both need practice and effort. Neither is "easier" than the other.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I have noticed since I started learning mandolin, that even though what I have read says mandolin strings are harder to fret than guitar, not really so. I have VERY short fingers, and my mandolins are easier to fret than my guitar. I bought a Loar LM 220 to learn on, and also two bowlbacks (MAS in effect.) The bowlbacks are even easier to fret than the Loar (although I like all of them for different reasons.) I can reach the strings! So any guitar players with short fingers, take up the mandolin!

You might be confusing the terms "easier to fret" and "easier to reach," just a bit. They're different. I, too, have extremely small hands with short fingers. Some of the long stretches on guitar, especially out of barred positions, are hard for me. But then, some of the stretches to get notes on a 14"-scale mandolin (e.g., A or F model) are tough, too, e.g., trying to get the high B or C on the E string, out of first position. A typical bowlback has a scale length closer to 13", which makes a huge difference. It might be true that many notes on the mandolin are easier to reach than on a guitar, but that depends on the particular notes in question and type of mandolin!

The downbearing force required to fret the 8 steel strings of the mandolin is usually more than the 6 strings of a steel-string guitar, and hugely more than a nylon-string classical guitar. And that's true for both single notes and all-string chords. This is partly because of the extra strings and the double courses found on the mandolin. It is also because of the higher tension on the mandolin. That makes the notes on a mandolin harder to fret, as a rule, even when you can reach them. That is, more hand strength is called for, not less.

I play both mandolin and guitar. Overall, I am of the opinion that the guitar is a bit easier on small hands, requiring less hand strength and similar stretches. When you're still beginning, you might not be able to reach the notes you need on a guitar, esp. out of barre positions. Then again, as you get a bit better on the mandolin, and you start going for that high B or C, you may discover that the mandolin is ALSO unkind to your short fingers!! But I still love the mandolin, despite these difficulties!
    Last edited by sblock; Oct-11-2015 at 6:27pm.

9. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

I've heard that they open up quicker than other instruments

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M.Marmot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by M.Marmot View Post
    I've heard that they open up quicker than other instruments
    Agent provocateur! But, well played!!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

As a response to the thread title, and ignoring the discussion about ease-of-play, I'll say this...

Playing a mandolin will get you many more invitations to join a local band, or do local recording projects, than if you play guitar.

When I started playing mandolin after 30+ years of guitar several years ago, I thought I was done with playing in bands. Nope... I got "drafted" into four different gigs over the last few years, with different people, just because I played a mandolin and not a guitar.

Don't spread this around too much, or we'll jinx it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Hah, that is the reason I started playing mandolin, less competition, more chance to contribute to a band. :-)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kurth83 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

The reason I played mandolin was because I wanted to play strings, and everyone was playing guitar and I was such a stubborn contrarian.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

The guitar will give you decent tone. On the mandolin you have to go in and get it. I played guitar forty some odd years before I took up the mandolin. I prefer the mandolin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Lighter than a banjo, smaller than a guitar, easier than a fiddle, and unlike a bass can be carried on a motorcycle.
    Northfield Big Mon #274
    Loar 520 VS
    Kala UBass
    Blueridge BR 40T
    Eastman MDO 305 Octave

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stainless For This Useful Post:

I like the sounds a mandolin produces. Guitars are nice (I don't play one), but I prefer mandolins.

It is easier to be mediocre on guitar. :-)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nashville For This Useful Post:

Babe magnet.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

much easier to , ahem, "hide" a new incoming mando than a guitar........................

Not that i have to do that, but if one did....................

d

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Mandos are cute - ahhh, look at da litto gitarrr.

The higher freq's will cut through a roomful of guitars at a jam - making you an instant "star".

You may also appear knowledgeable and informative if no one knows what a mando is - however, the door is closing on that opportunity, as the mando is increasing in popularity - at least, we all think so.

And finally, if you just want to make some nice sounds for a little while, mandolin is the thing - always. Longer sessions, it's debatable; but a guitar has a chance there. But the guitar is big behemoth awkward by comparison. So mando will get chosen cos it's less bother. You can also hug it while watching tv, etc.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Shredded Cheese Authority Emmett Marshall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    There are sooooooooooooo many other benefits to playing the mandolin.
    Just off the top of my head:

1) Weight loss (can't afford to eat)
    2) Frequent travel (can't afford the rent/mortgage)
    3) Superiority (Are you going to tune that banjo? "No need. I bought it tuned.")
    4) Romance (doesn't take up the entire back seat)
    5) Solitude (roommate/kids/spouse all move out at earliest opportunity)

Seriously: The mandolin fits well in many genres of music like Celtic, Bluegrass, Folk, Rock, and many more. The instrument is a versatile means of musical expression and inspires creativity. From academic classical, to rock and pop, and even fiddle tunes, it always seems to have something to offer. There are other instruments of which the same things can be said, so I think it just comes down to individual preferences and ears.
    Last edited by Emmett Marshall; Oct-12-2015 at 1:02am.
    Weber F5 Bitteroot Octave - "...romantic and very complicated."
    My instruments professionally maintained by...RSW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The guitar will give you decent tone. On the mandolin you have to go in and get it.
    This is very well said, and an excellent point. In fact, the longer I play mandolin, the more I'm convinced that consistently pulling out good tone is much harder than the technical aspect of playing (i.e. where to place your fingers on the fretboard). Mandolins are very unforgiving in this way vs guitar.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Mandolins are freakin' cool. Taking a little mando to work to play at lunchtime is too easy. Grabbing a mandolin around the house and learning tunes, scales and experimenting with tone is too easy and too awesome. Really, this little friend can follow you just about anywhere. Travels well. And impressive, like others said, fewer people have discovered the joy of mando, while so many people play or play around with the guitar.

Let's face it, the guitar is probably THE most popular musical instrument for most genre in the past 100 years or so, and rightfully so. Is it harder or easier to play than the mandolin? Hey, I agree with what others have said: No, not necessarily, it's just different. For most of us (at least for me) a lot of work is involved in practicing, playing, understanding theory, mastering technique, experimenting, and I think that goes for most instruments.

I love my guitars, but they've been lonesome last week because my newest mando has dominated my play time

The past two days I've worked with the mando on a couple of fiddle tunes that I play on guitar: Black Mountain Rag and Salt Creek. In the case of those two fiddle tunes, the way I play them, the fingering and runs seem easier on mando. I think I'll get these tunes up to speed in a much shorter time than it took on the guitar.

I love the mandolin, and there's no doubt about it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Registered User agirlandheryarn's Avatar

I'm a new mandolin player. I just loved reading all of the responses to the op's original post.😊 I'm in the new stages of love, in which want to sit and hug my Mando all day long. I only wish I didn't have to work.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that a guitar has that bothersome 3rd interval (between G & B). Mandos are all 5ths so all patterns are moveable up down and sideways. Sooooo much easier for me at least. The broader, fatter sound of the guitar makes it perhaps more versatile but everybody plays guitar. Go to any pickers circle and count the guitars .....

Blog Entries

Benefits of mandolins vs other instruments?
    Sound

Looks

Size

Mandolin Café.

37. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post: