Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ron Oates Lack of Customer Service

as perhaps the current poster child for the disgruntled ron oates customers at this point, i figured i'd just weigh in. #

congratulations on your new instrument, guy. #any musician knows that the receipt of a new instrument of high quality is perhaps the coolest experience any of us can have. #i don't begrudge you your mandolin at all. #there are many reasons why yours might have been completed quicker than mine- shorter scale length, less custom appointments, fewer pickups. #

i have been patient. #had my mandolin arrived in the same temporal schedule as yours i would have received it 9 months ago. #i have not had any hostile interactions with ron, and did not begin to pursue legal action until my instrument was 19 months overdue. #if you had to wait another 5 months for your instrument, and still had no returned phone calls or interaction of any sort, would you have still been as patient? #i don't know, and you don't either. #Perhaps. #perhaps not. #so i simply ask that you attempt to reserve judgment when you are unable to, as the trite old saying goes, stand in my shoes. #you have had a positive experience with ron. #i have not. #that is all. #and, as posted before, i am quite certain that if i received a rono it is quite likely i would become a member of the converted. #that, however, seems unlikely in my case. #

is the course of action i decided upon the correct one? #i don't know. #but i do not feel at fault for simply asking someone to act in a semiprofessional manner, and for taking steps to recoup my investment when that person does not live up to that reasonable request. #i certainly wish i was not a frequent poster on this board, but, for me, at some point, enough was enough. #

again, i'm sure your instrument is of the highest quality, and i wish you happy pickin'.

karl

It seems the biggest mistake he made that caused most of the grief was not returning calls. Many folks who wait a year for an instrument can surely wait another 6 months or even a year longer -Even if they are unhappy. But avoiding contact from people who paid you money is bad business and plain wrong. The least he could have done is contact his customers. Most would be very understanding.

well, it's done. #ron did not show up for court, and after hearing from me, the DA and the officer that served him to appear, the judge found in my favor, and decided that ron owes me a bunch of money. #i was sort of hoping that ron would show up with my mandolin and say that he was on the way to ups to send it out. but this decision is the next best thing for me.

collecting this money will be another matter entirely. #i will keep you updated as events warrant.
    karl

Did you have to travel to Boulder for personal court appearance?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

no, mandroid, i did not. i just called the boulder county court and they transferred me in to the courtroom, and i "appeared" by phone.

Yup!! That RONO! - What a guy!! - must'a bought Rev. Jim Baker's book - keep the faith AND keep those "contributions" roll'n IN! - (mangolin: thanks for the "update" - hope you get at least some $$$$ - AND satisfaction.) - Moose.

Isn't this at some point just considered "theft"?

I have a Rono Workingman's Special 5-string on the way. Been wheelin' and dealin'. I'll try it out but I don't intend keeping it, so look for it in the Classifieds soon. Along with that vial of KANG Mojo-Sweat.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Wouldn't that be a "Rono Runningman Special"?

Wow! I have spent the last 3 hours reading this entire thread. I truly feel for all parties involved. I hope everything is resolved peacefully.

I found Moose's interjection of "That RONO! - What a guy!!" to be funnier and funnier everytime I read it. I'm sure it has nothing to do with it being 2:30 in the morning my time... It was just plain funny!
    Michael

Proud papa to three great kids, and two great mandolins.

1923 Gibson A3
    Dan Fobert custom long scale mandolin

well, moose, answering your query:

the latest is that the court issued another subpoena for ron, this time to appear in court and disclose his financial records, so the court could go about deciding on a plan to reimburse me. #i just got the return of service today, and the officer who served it stated:
    "I certify I have served the within documents, by leaving it with the individual named (ron oates). #this officer asked the party in question if he was ron oates. #the individual replied that he could be ron oates. #this officer then handed the papers to the individual, whereupon the individual threw the papers to the ground."

this next court date is in a couple of weeks. #i will, of course, let everyone know what happens.

Mangolin,

Congratulations, sounds like a breakthrough.

I don't buy the "don't bother the genius" argument. The fact that he won’t even admit who he is tells me something about his integrity.

Good luck.

And now a word from Moose?

aaahhhh! - That RONO - what a guy!!?# -

Claire Hunter - chunter@co.boulder.co.us of the District attorneys office said there is an online form to submit to add to the complaint to the "pattern of business practices' statute.
    He is pretending he is above the law and aint in the White house.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

i've been following this saga for quite a while. and i will stay with it.

it makes me laugh out loud that he threw the papers to the ground.

it sounds like he got served and is still in shock about it!
    CPD

"..the individual replied that he could be ron oates"
    That is funny, it reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart was asked it he knew algebra. Bart responded that he knew "of algebra"!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Some people believe that if they don't hold on to the papers they haven't really been served.
    Will Hardy

Ithaca Strings Instruments
    Mowry Custom Four String Electric OM (2 years or so)

mangolin - another subpoena! I'm glad you have the patience to go through all of this process and I hope that you get your money back (plus interest)!

I also hope all RONO mandolin owners are gouging his name out of the headstock in protest to his business practices (this goes beyond black electrical tape). I promise it won't affect the sound
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

As a Rono owner and player (I got mine 2nd hand, luckily) I have followed this thread with interest and dismay. I have been very lucky working with luthiers on commissioned instruments. Not one has been a great businessman; most have left something to be desired in communication or outreach skills, but all of them have been honorable and, happily, very talented.

As for Ron(o), I am no longer surprised that my attempts to get information about the mandolin I bought have gone unanswered. Its a really messed up situation and I feel for all of the victims here on the board.

Rather than gouge out my headstock, I have taken to placing a piece of tape over the "R". Yes, I play an ono (pronounced "Oh No!"). I have told the sad tale to a few audience members who have asked (and probably wished they hadn't).

Keep fighting the good fight.

Clem

ONO!!!## - it's a RONO! (seriously,.. enjoy your mando ; as you inferred, RONO'S luthier abilities surely far outweigh his "people"/business attributes/qualities). Moose.

yet another update in this long and winding thread:
    the boulder county court held a hearing on the 22nd called an interrogatory, which is a thing where ron comes to court and has to provide financial records so the court can figure out how to best recover my money from him, and the boulder county da (claire hunter) had ron served to come to a separate meeting with her to address the issue of renumeration to other customers. #the da showed up, the court clerk showed up, the magistrate showed up, and the baliff showed up. #one person did not show up either time. #would anyone care to guess who did not show up at either hearing? #your possible choices are:
    1. #mike tyson
    2. #george washington
    3. #ron oates
    4. none of the above

i have two courses of action i've been advised to now pursue. #when one or both pans out, i will, of course, let you all know the gory details. #and i will again state that this is the first time i've ever gone through any kind of court thing like this, and it is not something i'm doing out of spite or hatred, and it could all have been avoided by ron returning a couple of phone calls over the last couple of years. #at this point, though, i am wishing i gave the check to the old woman i saw on the way to the post office a couple of years ago who offered me three magic mandolin tree beans. #darn darn darn.
    karl

Quote Originally Posted by (mangolin @ Aug. 28 2006, 13:13)
    1. mike tyson
    2. george washington
    3. ron oates
    My guess is that NONE of those guys showed up...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

ok, mr. mando pointed out the fact that all 3 of my choices would have been correct choices, so i added none of the above, which has become the only correct answer. glad to have the help of the non-guitar string instrument community, which has always had a reputation for grammaticably good english.

One thing to remember, Rono's mandos ROCK to the utmost!! I have heard claims that other electrics by other names play just as sweet, but I have found those claims to be unfounded. Suffice it to say that Homer and I are VERY happy together. While I was extremely bothered by the length of time it took to get my mando, I now heartily regret the manner by which I finally obtained my mandolin. It's like telling Michelango to hurry up painting the church ceiling! Flame on, brothers and sisters!!

Frank Seanez

Frank, the complaint has not been about the quality of Ron's mandolins. #The complaint has been about the fact that he takes money from people, does not honor his delivery commitments, and refuses to work with them (or, apparently, anyone else, including the Colorado courts) to resolve their concerns.

His instruments may well be great (I don't have first-hand experience), but that does not either explain or justify his behavior.
    EdSherry