Thread: Buzzing when fretting

Default Buzzing when fretting

Hi, I am new to the mandolin. I've been playing the violin/fiddle for a few years now and wanted a second instrument to play... I'm loving the mandolin and wished I started long ago.
    When I am fretting the strings, especially with my fourth finger and reaching, there is sometimes a buzz. I don't think it is the action or the set up of my mandolin because if I put enough pressure on the string there is no buzzing (and no buzzing on the open strings). Here's my question, Is it normal to have to press really hard when fretting? Or maybe it is the placement of my fingers in the fret? I've never had this problem with the violin and I've kept my fingers quite relaxed, then again there aren't any frets on the violin. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Buzzing when fretting

Buzzing occurs when the string vibrates against a fret, so a fretless instrument like violin is generally buzz-free.

You do have to hold down mandolin strings fairly firmly; remember you're pressing two strings instead of one. The "pinky" (if that's what you mean by "fourth finger") has less strength than other fingers, and if you're stretching it to hit, say, sixth fret on the fourth course of strings, not too unusual to not fret the string(s) cleanly.

The height of the strings above the fretboard -- which we call "action" -- is adjustable on most mandolins, by lowering the bridge saddle, do if you're getting frequent buzzing when you fret, you can lower the action. Of course, if you lower it too far, then the strings may hit the frets due to insufficient clearance, and then you get buzzing again. Like most issues of this type, it's a matter of compromise.

You could take your mandolin to a qualified repair tech and have the action analyzed, and perhaps adjusted. Violin and mandolin have the same tuning, but different scales, string composition, and playing techniques -- as you already realize. I'd keep trying and see if the issue lessens with familiarity and additional playing.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks Allen, I'll keep working on it. I know it will take some getting use to. I would say the buzzing happens more on the G string than on the others which makes sense that I would have to put more pressure on it. I'm afraid my violin is going to gather some dust.

Sup, colleague! Welcome

Don't let your violin gather dust! The "same tuning" thing works both ways, so you can take lots of things from mando back to violin. Including the urge to play more double stops and chords...

As for your question - yes, mando takes a bit more finger pressure, though by all means try to stay relaxed. Placing the finger closer to the fret also helps (less pressure needed).

But definitely do check the action and perhaps look into lighter-gauge strings. Good luck and happy picking!
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

5. The following members say thank you to Ausdoerrt for this post:

With it being the G string it may be that the action on that string is too low. g string is larger and less tension so it moves more, needs to be slightly higher.

As a new mandolin player, I find I have to take care not to put sideways pressure on the strings as they will move and then a buzz will be created. All my notes fretted individually have decent tone and are clear, but if I get careless, my playing, and the sound gets sloppy. The first sign of that is buzzing.
    Play what you feel
    Feel
    what you play

• Loar LM-590
    • Several guitars

8. The following members say thank you to Robert B for this post:

I think you answered your own question,,you have to press harder,get used to it.the violin is nothing on your fingers.when compared to like the regular instruments,banjo,guitar,violin,,it's the mandolin that will really put your fingers to the test...

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Try this thread. Lots of good advice about strengthening the little finger there.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

11. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

I'm right there with you. I picked up the mandolin after I found out that it's strung the same as the violin but I'm struggling with the finger pressure required on the larger strings on frets, especially my pinky. I had a Luther check mine out and there was some buzzing from the tailpiece that's gone after he adjusted it. Now all the buzzing is player-induced!

Thanks for all your tips. I suspect it's my technique rather than the action. I was renting a mandolin before I bought one and was having this problem with the rental as well. I'll keep practicing and do those finger exercises in the other thread and see if it disappears. BTW I bought a Loar lm220 and love it, a world of difference from the rental I was using. Thanks again.

You say you are new, and technique will develop. As noted by others, the pinkie on the G string fretting a note up the fingerboard is a challenge to play cleanly. I was a long-time guitar player, and also had a problem getting clean notes on mandolin. My development, and I think it is common, is you first apply more pressure, and then as your technique improves, you find you actually don't need that much pressure. So I would advise patience before making major adjustments, since you say you had the problem with another mandolin.
    Diagnosing buzzing is tricky. If your action is too low, even perfect fretting technique will not prevent buzz on a fret between where you press and further up the fretboard. If you think this is the case, you may need to raise the bridge on the bass side slightly. Mandolins are very persnickety. But if the bridge (and hence action) is a little high, you are more likely to get buzz at the point where you are fretting.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Robert B View Post
    As a new mandolin player, I find I have to take care not to put sideways pressure on the strings as they will move and then a buzz will be created. All my notes fretted individually have decent tone and are clear, but if I get careless, my playing, and the sound gets sloppy. The first sign of that is buzzing.
    Another newbie here, I have this same problem, and worse: Occasionally, somehow, when I fret a note with the pinkie I somehow will stretch one of the strings in a course so that the pair is way out of tune. This just started happening, as I began working on FFcP exercises, and I don't know yet how I am accomplishing this. When I first heard it, I stopped and checked my tuning. After it happened a couple more times, I realized it had to do with sloppy pinkie technique somehow. When I get an out of tune fretted course under the pinkie, I can stop and re-fret there and hear no problem. I think maybe I'm pushing the pinkie up into the strings when that happens, rather than pressing straight down onto them.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff