Thread: Sylvana brand of instruments - any info?

Default Sylvana brand of instruments - any info?

I've seen a used Sylvana bouzouki for sale but can't find much info about the brand online (in English, anyway). From what I've seen offered for sale new on various European sites, this seems to be a similar brand to Hora, at least judging from the prices (ca 155 euros new)... would that be an accurate assessment?

Thanks in advance,
    Lesley

Default Re: Sylvana brand of instruments - any info?

Hi Lesley,

That zouk certainly looks like a Hora to me - probably right out of that same Romanian factory!

In my experience, an instrument that cheaply produced really just isn't worth an investment. I know a lot of people advocate the strategy of buying an inexpensive instrument to "dip your feet," but I think that if the instrument is too poorly made, it's hard to see past its individual limitations, and it'll probably just drive you away from pursuing it further. Unless the person selling it used is willing to give to you for free or for less than $40, I'd say just let this one pass. Hope this helps a bit!

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Why does that name remind me of this range of vaguely disturbing toys that my niece used to love?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top_image.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	139384
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord of the Badgers For This Useful Post:

Thanks, all... you confirmed what I was thinking. This particular (big-box) store wants $319 for it, which to me is maybe used Trinity College money but definitely not Hora and its cousins. I recently restrung/adapted an old 12-string with bouzouki tuning so I'll keep mucking around with that while I mull over whether I might want one, rather than throw money at a crummy instrument as you say.