Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Armrest

Default Re: Best Armrest

I have only tried Soliver's armrests. I now have 2 of them and am quite happy with both.
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

Seems there is an armrest out there for everyone. I'm not sure there really is a best. As others have said, find the one that works for you. I have three Cumberlands. I keep going back for another. They work great for me, and the folks at Cumberland are very pleasant to deal with.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

3. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

I got one from Dan Voight of Voight Mandolins, when I was at Swannanoa a couple of years ago. He's got a nice design that covers the top part of the hardware.

I love my McClung on my MT2. For my first build I decided to make my own and I'm pretty pleased with it. It wasn't hard, and I could tweak it to my desires. It was in padauk and turned out quite attractive.

I'm using a banjolit one. It's great. They'll probably all do what you need them for though.

McClung !

If the truth be known, all the brands listed here are great quality. I buy from Soliver because he's as local as I can find for this item, besides making a great arm rest. I try to shop as local as I can for almost every thing I buy. Admittedly, sometimes that's not possible. Soliver is located in metro Atlanta and he makes an excellent product. The ambrosia maple arm rest he crafted for one of my Breedloves is outstanding.

No, I'm not affiliated with Soliver in any way.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

still Lefty & French Philippe Bony's Avatar

+1 for McClungs. Beautiful & comfortable armrest.

Blog Entries

I like the ergo-design of many of the boutique armrests, a number of them look very comfortable.

But when I look at them, to my view, they're visually pretty overwhelming for such a small instrument. Perhaps it's because I come from the 5-string banjo world where armrests are pretty necessary and they tend to be large and showy, but while I really like the concept of an armrest for mandolins and guitars, I like a small, innocuous armrest on a mandolin, primarily to keep arms off of the instrument tops. As such Cumberland has been my choice

Here are mine (the F-9 in ebony, the MK in rosewood, to match fingerboard and bridge woods on these instruments):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cumberland Armrest F-9.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	181447 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2002 Gibson F-9 081119.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	858.9 KB 
ID:	181449

Name:	Cumberland Armrest MK.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	181448 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MKLFSTB.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	421.8 KB 
ID:	181450
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Really like the feel of the McClung the best. Soliver makes good ones, too. The Cumberland edge is too sharp to be comfortable with my forearm. Don't know why that is. Might be better if I reshaped the edge.

Unfortunately, none work on the Kalamazoo as the body is too deep. Will have to order one with viola hardware, I guess.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Really like the feel of the McClung the best. Soliver makes good ones, too. The Cumberland edge is too sharp to be comfortable with my forearm. Don't know why that is. Might be better if I reshaped the edge.

Unfortunately, none work on the Kalamazoo as the body is too deep. Will have to order one with viola hardware, I guess.
    The arm rest made by Soliver for my Blevins octave has an viola hardware.

Name:	20191128_095117.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	181474
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

13. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

I just placed an order for my first armrest from Cumberland Acoustics to use on a Crystal Forest A/N I just acquired.

Normally I’m not a fan of armrests but the mandolin has abalone inlayed around the top end, and I want to protect it from sweat and wear down the road.

Name:	EE10153C-F3DD-4E2C-A5B6-4CEB492CD4D4.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	691.3 KB 
ID:	181480
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    I just placed an order for my first armrest from Cumberland Acoustics to use on a Crystal Forest A/N I just acquired.

Normally I’m not a fan of armrests but the mandolin has abalone inlayed around the top end, and I want to protect it from sweat and wear down the road.

Name:	EE10153C-F3DD-4E2C-A5B6-4CEB492CD4D4.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	691.3 KB 
ID:	181480
    Hi Joey,

My Crystal Forest is one of the instruments I have a Cumberland Acoustics armrest on. Works great. I like that it's on the small side so it doesn't look overly large on the A/N mandolin. These CF mandolins are really pretty, especially your new one. The CA armrest won't diminish that beauty, or detract from it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Hi Joey,

My Crystal Forest is one of the instruments I have a Cumberland Acoustics armrest on. Works great. I like that it's on the small side so it doesn't look overly large on the A/N mandolin. These CF mandolins are really pretty, especially your new one. The CA armrest won't diminish that beauty, or detract from it.

Bob
    Bob, may I say Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Also does the CA armrest take away any of the tone on your CF?
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    You won't really know til you try one for while. I got a McClung, as mentioned above, it's beautiful, matches my instrument nicely, good service and all, but there is something about the shape that bothers my arm when I play, so I am currently not using it. I think a smaller one would work better for me, but haven't tried yet. Everybody is built a little different, different strokes.....

Spencer
    Trade ya....pm me.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    Bob, may I say Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Also does the CA armrest take away any of the tone on your CF?
    Thanks, Joey. I hope you and your family have also enjoyed their holiday.

The CA armrest does not detract from the tone of my CF at all. Due to the thin cork strip where the armrest meets the top, the armrest is mostly suspended over the top. The cork strip is so narrow that it is only touching the edge of the top over where it would be attached to either the sides or maybe the kerfed lining. For that reason, I don't think it could diminish the tone.

I think this feature is common to most if not all armrests and as demonstrated by the reponses in this thread, each has its fans. There probably is not a bad choice among the many mentioned. In the case of the CA on the CF though, we know it will work well because you and I have matching instruments. I just hope you like the way it looks and feels on your instrument. It's kind of minimalist, which is just what I like in an armrest.

I was thinking though, maybe you should check with Terry to make sure he thinks the finish has cured long enough so the armrest won't make an imprint or stick to it. He might suggest you hold of for six months or so. He certainly would be the authority!

Best wishes,

Bob

19. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    The CA armrest does not detract from the tone of my CF at all. Due to the thin cork strip where the armrest meets the top, the armrest is mostly suspended over the top.
    Bob
    I've heard that some cork strips have damaged the finish because of the chemicals used in processing the cork. I never had the problem but I switched to leather several years ago. Even the leather shoe/boot laces will work and they're available just about everywhere.
    David Hopkins

21. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

I have McClung arm rests on both my Flatiron and my Sumi. Doug Edwards is really great to work with and offers some beautiful arm rests to compliment your mandolin’s finish.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    The "McClung" style armrest from Doug Edwards (Hill Country Stringworks) is angled up towards the bridge a bit...
    That angle is comfortable for me.

24. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Blog Entries

I am with Mark and those who love the McClung. Doug does a great job making a very comfortable AR and he matched the color and grain of my Collings MT. I also have a wonderful ebony Cumberland Acoustic armrest on my F5. These are both excellent, depending on your shape and angle preferences.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Arakelian View Post
    I have McClung arm rests on both my Flatiron and my Sumi. Doug Edwards is really great to work with and offers some beautiful arm rests to compliment your mandolin’s finish.
    I've bought perhaps 5 or 6 of Doug's armrests through the years. All except the first have been McClungs. Love them.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Thanks for the support. I have the best customers. I’ve been at this about 15 years.
    Last edited by Doug Edwards; Dec-05-2019 at 4:10pm. Reason: Proper protocol

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Doug Edwards For This Useful Post:

The Cumberland for me, because my aesthetic leans to the simple and unadorned look (Think Gibson F9).

Plus its smaller size doesn't make it seem bulky or out-of-place on my A mandos.

Since they all perform the same, it's pretty much looks preference for me.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

30. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

I have 2 McClungs and had a Cumberland. None of them contact the rim of the mandolin properly. The rim curves down and the brackets are attached to the wood that angles them up. The contact area of the armrest is not optimal as only a small edge actually touches the instrument. I would like me to find an armrest that is made correctly.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Griffin View Post
    I have 2 McClungs and had a Cumberland. None of them contact the rim of the mandolin properly. The rim curves down and the brackets are attached to the wood that angles them up. The contact area of the armrest is not optimal as only a small edge actually touches the instrument. I would like me to find an armrest that is made correctly.
    So you want an armrest which touches the top in a large area and restricts vibration of the top?
    Are your armrests falling off of the mandolins??

Very interesting how well these armrests are working for so many other people.

Maybe a picture of the problem would help.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”