Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Armrest

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: Best Armrest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Griffin View Post
    ... 2 McClungs and had a Cumberland. None of them contact the rim of the mandolin properly. The rim curves down ...
    I've had a McClung, plus a replacement McClung (Thank you, Doug! That was 10 years ago, maybe.), with similar issues. So ...

Check that the ends of the (violin chin rest) clamp, where it screws into the armrest wood, are bent to a full 90 degrees, or maybe a degree or two more. Mine were bent to only 75 or 80 degrees, causing first contact with the body near the center of the armrest, potentially allowing it to pivot in place. To preserve the clamp's finish, rather than bend it further in a vise, I drilled a hole in some scrap steel and put that in the vise before, uhm, persuading.

If the issue is really that the top's gutter is at such an acute angle compared to the rim (side), it should be relatively easy to grind or file a complementary angle into the rest's edge and then re-apply the (cork or leather) cushioning material. It need not be wider than the cushioning material, if even that much.

Disclaimer: While somewhat experienced, I'm purely an amateur at this stuff; the professionals may have better opinions!

Hope this helps.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

A small edge touching the instrument is all that's necessary. Like Philphool indicated, anything more is going to act upon the vibrating surface and will likely affect the quality of sound.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82C159D2-D785-4EC9-9A89-4E5F85E73231.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	183058

Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    So you want an armrest which touches the top in a large area and restricts vibration of the top?
    Are your armrests falling off of the mandolins??

Very interesting how well these armrests are working for so many other people.

Maybe a picture of the problem would help.
    Duly noted. Pic in previous posted. Yes they do come off occasionally. I have to keep a tool in my case to reattach.

Maybe you aren't tightening it enough? That looks like a Cumberland armrest, the same as mine (except mine is gold-colored). Mine also touches the top only with the edge of the cork, but it doesn't come off.
    1923 Gibson A-Jr
    2011 Kentucky KM-630

I never used an armrest before but I just acquired a Campanella A-5 and I love the look and feel of this one. I don't know if I would like one any larger. Not sure if he would makes one separate from his mandolins, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	503.9 KB 
ID:	183065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3166.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	183066
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Griffin View Post
    Duly noted. Pic in previous posted. Yes they do come off occasionally. I have to keep a tool in my case to reattach.
    I position the armrest outer edge over the very edge of the mandolin, actually on the binding. I tighten down till resistance is met and then add just a bit more tension. The armrest will not move if I gently push on it, although I probably could move it if I really shoved on it. My armrest edge is closer to the edge of the mandolin than yours looks in your photo.

Using this method, I've never had one come off accidentally, and have not seen any instrument damage other than occasional reaction to cork back in the days before I replaced all cork with thin leather. Could be slight marking even with leather on particularly soft finishes.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

My fairly thick (Mexican?) mandolin pressed on my forearm a bit, so I added a crescent of 1/4” thick closed cell foam, packing material, held on, double sticky- wise with blue painters tape, which has a weak and benign adhesive. Works fine for me, and easily removes. Wouldn’t have thought to do anything if I hadn’t noticed this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    I've had a McClung, plus a replacement McClung (Thank you, Doug! That was 10 years ago, maybe.), with similar issues. So ...

Check that the ends of the (violin chin rest) clamp, where it screws into the armrest wood, are bent to a full 90 degrees, or maybe a degree or two more. Mine were bent to only 75 or 80 degrees, causing first contact with the body near the center of the armrest, potentially allowing it to pivot in place. To preserve the clamp's finish, rather than bend it further in a vise, I drilled a hole in some scrap steel and put that in the vise before, uhm, persuading.

If the issue is really that the top's gutter is at such an acute angle compared to the rim (side), it should be relatively easy to grind or file a complementary angle into the rest's edge and then re-apply the (cork or leather) cushioning material. It need not be wider than the cushioning material, if even that much.

Disclaimer: While somewhat experienced, I'm purely an amateur at this stuff; the professionals may have better opinions!

Hope this helps.
    you want the top screws bent at 90 degrees. Few pieces of hardware are 90 degrees and sometimes the holes drilled are off a bit. I use a couple pliers and plastic tubing to hold and bend them.

11. The following members say thank you to Doug Edwards for this post: