Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson (Bozeman '92) A-5G

Default Gibson (Bozeman '92) A-5G

I'm buying the A-5G that was listed today in the classifieds. Didn't do a lot of "due diligence" so all I really knew was A-5 is my favorite type of mandolin, a Gibson A-5 will be fun to complement my Mike Black A-5 and the Gibsons made in Bozeman during the late 80's and early 90's are well regarded. Mine's from 1992 and it has a Carlson signature, considered desirable I gather.

So I'll see it in a few days but in the meanwhile I'd love to read any comments someone might like to share about that model. Doubt I'm going to love the mean, tiny frets. Expect I will love the sound. And it'll be very different all around from my year-old Mike Black A-5, don't you think?
    The first man who whistled
    thought he had a wren in his mouth.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

--"The First" by Wendell Berry

Default Re: Gibson (Bozeman '92) A-5G

When I saw the A5G popped up today I thought to myself 'this will go fast'. I just didn't know how fast

A Carlson signed A5 is always well regarded and I think this will be no exception. I think you got yourself a good deal there Brent. Looking forward to pics and vids and the whole nine yard.

Congrats

Yeah, I had the same thought when I saw the ad. I'd recently sold a guitar, an octave mandolin and a couple of small knick-knacks so the timing was great. In my limited experience, stuff in the Classifieds seems to either sell really quick or really slow without much in between. No way this was going to be a slow one.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

I had a 1998 Gibson A5 a while back; several years now I guess? You are correct that it will have the very thin frets; not really a problem for me? The biggest adjustment for me was the very narrow nut/fretboard. The sound however was fantastic; makes me wonder why I sold it????? It must have been MAS, again?
    Thanks for your support?

Hey Brent,

Good grab on that one, fo' sure. NOW, there is a guy in the Classifieds that wants to trade an A5 for a Weber Yellowstone. Get on that one dude and triple your money. THEN, play the stock market becuase you will be on a roll!

Your Pal,

Dave C.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

i have a April 22 1991 carlson singed a-5g . its great but mine does have the thick coat finish they experimented with for a short time . seems to bring out the bottom end . already had a refret and it was changed to a larger fret size . and i scooped the florida . i bought mine new back in 93 ish its my favorite and my first real mando . if you have any questions pm me . can not see me ever selling mine . i do have a sawchyn and an 02 F-9
    Last edited by rico mando; May-23-2011 at 10:52pm. Reason: wrong date

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

After having my Flatiron for a year or so (1984 model, work done about 7 years ago), I sent it to Lou Stiver and he did a compound radius and wider frets for me. Great work, quick and priced easy on the pocket.

I look forward to seeing photos and know that you'll love it for sure!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

f-d,

While I'm waiting here's a teaser, courtesy of the seller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	72516
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

I think you got a REALLY great deal, Brent! Every Carlson-signed mando I have played has been very strong.
    No...YOU stand back.

Anyone have links to a photo or description of the best angle for a strap button (on the treble-side of the neck heel) so as to miss running into that bolt that's inside the joint?

I had a guitar with a bolt-on neck once but fortunately there was just enough depth of wood to get the screw in there without hitting metal.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

I always tie to the peghead. No clue about strap pins.

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
    Anyone have links to a photo or description of the best angle for a strap button (on the treble-side of the neck heel) so as to miss running into that bolt that's inside the joint?

I had a guitar with a bolt-on neck once but fortunately there was just enough depth of wood to get the screw in there without hitting metal.
    Check out this thread...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-strap-on-an-A

I did find these pictures in Trevor's archives...

Indicating that at or just above the 12th fret seems an OK spot on that '96 Bozeman A-5G. Of course he may have still had to use a shorty screw.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

i tie my strap in at the neck heel . goes right underneath the bridge extension

I didn't necessarily put it together when I saw the ad for this A-5G but there's a sort-of connection between it and my favorite guitar, the one I like so well I got rid of all my other guitars...

In 1992 when this A-5G was made and Steve Carlson was running the Bozeman mandolin operation, John Walker was just up the road at the Gibson acoustic guitar shop. John is the maker of my "Lolo Creek #008" which was built many years later in 2006 at the current J. Walker shop in Petty Creek, MT.

There's some kind of Montana Mojo that keeps sending instruments my way. I'll say if the A-5G is half as good a mandolin as my "Lolo Creek" is a guitar it will be with me a long time.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

Blog Entries

...snip...
    While I'm waiting here's a teaser, courtesy of the seller.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	72516
    Brent;
    What a beauty! Congratulations.
    Glad I found this thread.
    I can wait to hear a clip, and maybe an A/B comparison of the Gibson & your Black?
    Again, congratulations.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

In 1992 when this A-5G was made and Steve Carlson was running the Bozeman mandolin operation, John Walker was just up the road at the Gibson acoustic guitar shop. John is the maker of my "Lolo Creek #008" which was built many years later in 2006 at the current J. Walker shop in Petty Creek, MT.

There's some kind of Montana Mojo that keeps sending instruments my way. I'll say if the A-5G is half as good a mandolin as my "Lolo Creek" is a guitar it will be with me a long time.
    John builds some fantastic guitars. I'd hold on to that one forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Byers View Post
    John builds some fantastic guitars. I'd hold on to that one forever!
    Yeah, Brett. If was a sure sign I was hooked when I quit playing my classical-guitar stuff on the nylon-stringer because I liked it better on the Lolo Creek. And it sounds marvelous with a flat pick which is what I bought it for in the first place.

Darndest instrument. It was't quite the body shape I was looking for, the neck shape was different than I wanted, the width and string spacing weren't to my favorite specs...yet after 30 minutes with it I totally quit playing my other guitars and haven't looked back. It's when I learned you don't play a spec sheet, you play the actual instrument.

I've gotta find my way out west one of these summers and see where all of these great instruments come from. Must be something in the air or water out there.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

Hey Brent,

Thanks again for the tailpiece. Glad I could help fund your new mando purchase.

I have a Carlson '84 Flatiron A-Jr. that I think has great sound. Even with light-gauged strings it has a mighty chop, clear highs, and sounds awesome. I'm thinking of putting the tailpiece on it (or my 'zouk)

I'm not sure how to post soundclips, or I would.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

That's cool, Chris. The small-world effect continues! So if my Gibson-speak is correct an A-Jr. is an oval hole, short necked one right?

The soundclip thing is kind of weird. You have to reply to a topic, click the <Go Advanced> box under the reply and then go through a process from there that lets you upload a sound file from your computer. Etc., etc. Took me forever to figure out how to navigate it.

Mine's on the UPS truck at the moment which means it'll get here some time between noon and maybe 8PM. I'm hoping sooner rather than later.
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

Blog Entries

I saw that one and felt a strong desire for more spending money, Brent ... glad you got it!

I hope you have many enjoyable years together.

Regarding the strap button, I had one put into my Breedlove's neck [bolt on] and had them follow the directions for the button location provided by the maker [http://breedlovemusic.com/resources/...-install.html].

That all said, not sure if they are located in the same location on a Gibson ... but it's a start.

Markus,

Thanks for that link. It may be that Breedlove's neck area has a bit more wood than my Gibsons but when it comes I'll see if those measurements lead me into a likely-looking spot.

I had a button installed for me on my first guitar and we knew there was some hardware in there. The guitar tech just drilled the pilot hole real slowly and as it turned out we just touched metal at the same depth as need for the screw. He said if the metal had been shallower we could have just used a slightly shorter screw. But still, best to dodge it all together if possible.

I'm also going to use a magnet to feel around a bit and see if I can detect the bolt(s).
    He went around all day
    with his lips puckered,
    afraid to swallow.

<snip>So if my Gibson-speak is correct an A-Jr. is an oval hole, short necked one right?
    <bigger snip>
    The A5-jr is a typical 15 fret neck, f-hole, a-model mandolin with parallel tone bars. In the same year they also had the A5-1 and fancier A5-2, which were identical (mostly) but with x-braced tone bars.

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Hey Brent,

Thanks again for the tailpiece. Glad I could help fund your new mando purchase.

I have a Carlson '84 Flatiron A-Jr. that I think has great sound. Even with light-gauged strings it has a mighty chop, clear highs, and sounds awesome. I'm thinking of putting the tailpiece on it (or my 'zouk)

I'm not sure how to post soundclips, or I would.
    Hey Chris....I sold that mandolin to you. How's it treating ya? Sounds like the top stabilized? I REALLY miss that little monster!
    No...YOU stand back.

f-d speaks the truth as always, love those A-Jrs. I use lighter strings on mine also (GHS A250) with chop o'plenty, but I usually use it for Celtic stuff.

good luck with the A-5G Brent, I have seen a few good'uns over at Elderly.
    Bill