Thread: Howdy Do!

Default Howdy Do!

Hello to all,
    After some time skulking in the shadows of this wonderful forum I've decided to step forward and be recognized. Pretty much brand new to mandolin, played bass and six-string for nearly half my life, and after helping my father sort through some old family stuff at his house I stumbled upon my grandmother's mando-banjo. Dad wanted to see if it would be worth anything, so I had my local luthier set it up. Turns out it's not worth much in a monetary sense but a fun conversation piece, I started playing around with it a month or two ago and could not seem to put it down.
    However the fretboard is quite worn and the frets buzz a good bit etc. so after consulting this forum I found a gently used Gretsch NYer on craigslist for very short money and I have been having an absolute blast with it.
    I don't know if anything will ever come from playing this thing and to be honest I don't care. All I know is that I'm happy when I play it. I do not feel overwhelmed by the vast world of mandolin and its myriad styles; I am excited and encouraged by it. I am treading slowly at the moment, taking advice from what I've read here on focusing on fundamentals of technique, and playing v e r y s l o w l y. Even the simple tunes I've learned give me tremendous joy to play and hear.
    I'll be chiming in more in the future to ask advice etc. but for now wanted to say I think I've found perhaps the greatest online resource I could ask for right here. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Default Re: Howdy Do!

Welcome Harold. I am a beginner also, but I am a total music beginner. Never learned to read music or play anything. Now, in my old age, I am working on both!

I like playing the mandolin also. What beautiful sounds can come out of it. Enjoy the journey.

Harold, you are in for so much fun and frustration. Welcome to our wild, wacky world.

4. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Welcome to the cafe Harold! Newbie myself,been doodling about a yr.now.Started last october after a motorcycle accident.Been good therapy and the mandolin is just a joy to play and hear.Like SOMorris I had never played anything but the radio. Anyway enjoy the cafe and Ur mandolin.Great group of folks here!

6. The following members say thank you to choctaw61 for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hello Harold, and welcome aboard, from another newbie! Glad you're joining in the mandolin fun. Like you, I believe this is one of the best forums on the web. You can read for hours and be entertained and educated by a great bunch of folks here.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Howdy back at you Harold. You are at the right place to learn all about mandolins and just about anything else you can think of. seems to me every visit to the cafe is interesting and informative. Good luck with your New Yorker and pick that banjolin too. Sounds like that would be a fun instrument.

Howdy right back at you.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Good to see you didn't jump off that ledge, after all.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world