Thread: Rudy Cipolla Mandolin Sheet Music Manuscripts (Bay Area CL)

Default Rudy Cipolla Mandolin Sheet Music Manuscripts (Bay Area CL)

I live in San Francisco and for the most part play bluegrass, swing jazz and blues mandolin. I've been a member here and CoMando for probably more than 10 years.

Today I stumbled upon this Craigslist Ad from Campbell, CA (On the Peninsula near San Jose).

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msd/5223563219.html

"I have hundreds of pieces of Rudy Cipolla's Mandolin Ensemble music-many songs have 1st Mandolin, 2nd Mandolin, Mandola, Mandocello, Guitar parts., a few in manuscript form, others in Zerox format as he used them with his ensemble, these date from about 1983-1992. The majority of pieces are 1905-1935 mandolin publications copied and in the complete ensemble sets.

I'd prefer to sell these to someone in the San Francisco Bay Area, who can come and pick them up, but I'm not adverse to packing these up and charging the shipping cost as well. I can also accept a European violin family instrument, Cello, Viola or Violin, in lieu of cash."

I have no affiliations other than that I play mandolin and live in the Bay Area.

Right after Rudy passed away I was fortunate to attend a fantastic tribute concert at the Old Freight & Salvage (the one at 1111 Addison in Berkeley) that featured pretty much the entirety of the Bay Area Mandolin playing community either performing or in attendance.... Rudy was truly one of a kind.

Default Re: Rudy Cipolla Mandolin Sheet Music Manuscripts (Bay Area CL)

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

I've been transcribing his archive over the years. Now that my HEROES book is out there, I have devoted my time to more transcriptions in preparation for a Cipolla workshop at the CMSA convention in November 2020.

Indeed, Rudy was an American Original and I hope that with carefully transcribed PDFs, the music will be so much more available and readable. It was always such a nightmare with his 'white-out' mania and scotch-taped corrections on top of other corrections and the numerous lacunae in his manuscripts.

I'm putting out a call for musicians and have created a tentative workshop and performance playlist. see attached. Feel free to contact me! Sheri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rudy adv CMSA.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	183067  

I was just approved for two workshops "Rudy Cipolla" and a slot on Saturday night's open-mic. Attaching a PDF of my proposal if you have any trouble with the jpg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rudy adv CMSA.pdf  

Clarification: CMSA Open Mic is designated at mid-day, approx. 11:30A to 1:00P Saturday, not in the evening. These short slots allow for a maximum number of players to perform (just a couple of pieces). Still, it gives everyone a chance to hear Rudymusic! I've already heard back from three musicians and am really excited about sharing this music with CMSA! Mike Marshall just emailed and thinks it's a "great idea". He'd love to be there...but...scheduling is always an issue.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0gdel2cmf...DIbTtvx1a?dl=0

This is the new Rudy Cipolla Archive Folder. Over the next several months, we are building the archive and will upload titles as PDFs. Everyone is invited to access, view, and download.
    It is hoped that by early summer a large collection will be available. The plan is to have 'live' rehearsals on Saturday at Caffe Trieste in San Francisco. These
    will help us to prepare for the Cipolla workshops and performances at the Classical Mandolin Society of America convention in San Diego this November. Stay tuned!
    We're going to have lots of fun!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I've uploaded a short article on Rudy and his music. If you're thinking of learning his music, I hope it will be useful. It's in the Drop Box but I've attached it here. I've included suggestions on how to find his recordings so that you can become more familiar with his special way of composing. Thank you for your interest, Sheri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guideline and Tips to Reading Rudymusic.pdf  

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I thought you'd like to see why we love Rudy! One mandocello part as composed in three different ways for three different versions. We will reconcile these frustrating inconsistencies. Here is a snapshot of the original manuscripts for what is arguably his most famous title "La Civetta", a wonderful paso doble.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaCivetta-MC.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	183576  

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post: