Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Celluloid Binding Supplier

Blog Entries

Default Re: Celluloid Binding Supplier

The binding from both Allparts and Axiom seems like good stuff.

However, for whatever reason this old 1940 Vega body I am working on has very thick binding around the body -- approximately 0.09" X 0.234" (3/32" X 5/16") probably little change of finding that?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    However, for whatever reason this old 1940 Vega body I am working on has very thick binding around the body -- approximately 0.09" X 0.234" (3/32" X 5/16") probably little change of finding that?
    Not to be a spokesperson for axiom.. but they do sell ivoroid .09" thick, it appears only in the 61" length for some reason.
    http://www.axinc.net/Grained_Ivoroid...Strip_p/ci.htm

3. The following members say thank you to Champlin for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Champlin View Post
    Not to be a spokesperson for axiom.. but they do sell ivoroid .09" thick, it appears only in the 61" length for some reason.
    http://www.axinc.net/Grained_Ivoroid...Strip_p/ci.htm
    I decided just to go with white plastic binding and bought a strip 0.09"X0.025"X65" from StewMac. I have discovered that I can rough up the surface and mist it with light brown shellac to get faux ivoroid look. It is a back binding so it is not as obvious anyway. Thanks for all the input!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Can't get celluloid binding from the States. The airlines won't carry it due to it being "a potential fire hazard." However, celluloid does not self combust to my knowledge, it has to be heated or come into contact with a naked flame . For this situation to obtain in an aircraft would necessitate said aircraft to already be on fire. Therefore, the aircraft is pretty well buggered anyhow; celluloid or no celluloid. Got me knackered.

The sellers still selling celluloid add a pretty hefty surcharge for shipping it. (special packaging)
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

NFI, but Bill James is probably the main supplier in the US. He adds a surcharge but it's what he has to pay the shipper (UPS or whatever). He's not profiting from it. I don't know what hole that money sent to the shipper is going down. I haven't heard, nor have I heard from Bill, of any shipment of celluloid igniting during shipment. Probably the insurance companies are pocketing this money because they can.

The surcharge goes to the shipper. No special packaging, or handling. It's simply a hazmat sticker applied to the box. Another way to sneak in another fee for the carriers and/or government.

Bill James has a great selection of celluloid binding. He will even custom make pieces if you ask.

Oddly enough you can buy pearloid position dots from a certain well-known luthier supplier that are apparently celluloid (they look like celluloid and smell of camphor when heated) without paying a hazmat fee, but the pearloid binding strips from the same seller are labeled as celluloid and have the hazmat fee.

I went back to the beginning of this thread where I was quite involved.
    Since then I learned that the reason Stewmac quit selling it was because a large shipment ended up on an airplane somehow and apparently smelled up the cabin. They were hit with a hefty fine for not shipping properly. That's the story I heard anyway.

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

I've actually been getting really good quality stuff (especially the tortoise) off of EBay that ships from China. Cheap and ships very quickly...
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead