Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celluloid Binding Supplier

I just tried to order some celluloid binding material from Stew-Mac and was told they do not handle it anymore. Anyone know of a supplier?

That's news!
    I just got some from Stewmac a couple of weeks ago.
    Try Allied, and LMI.

I think there's been some kind of mis-understanding. Stew-Mac is the only place I deal with for binding and I can't imagine why they would discontinue it.

Other than the ivoroid they sell, LMI's binding is not celluloid.

Just called Stew Mac and they said they are not selling it anymore because of fire hazzard. So, OK, who sells celluloid binding?

This is not good. I can't imagine someone won't step in to fill the need. On the other hand, isn't it true that there is no celluloid manufactured in this country because of the fire hazard?

Where is Delmar Products? Last I heard they were the only manufacturer of ivoroid.

Delmar Products, Inc.
    400 Christian Lane
    P.O. Box 504
    Kensington, CT 06037-9998
    (860) 828-6501
    (860) 828-4701 FAX

If this stuff is being phased out I guess I'm fortunate to be using acrylics instead.
    MLAtkinson
    ...do guitar players get GAS?

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a reason to use celluloid as opposed to other plastics? I am not sure what plastics these are but International Luthiers Supply carries what they call "banding." Is that the same or no?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

LMI sells vinyl binding. Duco or other acetone based glue won't work with it. The other great thing about celluloid is the way you can melt and "weld" it together, especially on an F style. I luckily ordered a good supply not too long ago, but I sure hope there's another source.
    I called Stew-Mac to see if they had any remaining stock, but I guess Hans beat me to it.

I put in a big order for binding from Stew-Mac last week, so I guess I got some of the last stuff. However, I just called Delmar and it sounds as though they may set up distribution themselves at some point in the near future, because Stew-Mac was the only major reseller. They told me to call back in a few weeks to get an update.

Jim- I called them also this afternoon. No go. The guy I talked to said the owner just had made the decision to not handle it anymore because of the flammability issue. Maybe Hans can be our supplier?

I checked my supply of the tortoise imitation. I've got enough to do one EL model. As long as LMI continues to handle the Iv-B-Iv, that part won't be a problem. But the tortoise.........

I'll bet this is on every luthier forum on the net by now.

[QUOTE]"Maybe Hans can be our supplier".

Ha, Ha, good one Dale! Glad to see that LMI has ivoroid strips, BWB and BW strips... planted a bee in their bonnets about tortoise.

Hans- I was just having fun with you. If we come up to visit our friends in Hutchinson, about an hour west of you, this summer, I'll have to bop in and see your shop, if you'd let me <g>.

So now the question in my mind is this: Does Stew-Mac realize how much collateral damage this might do to their business? Ya know- you're going to order binding 'cause you need some, plus you need some other stuff. Well, what the heck, why not order the other stuff from the supplier that can give you the binding you need? The loss to StewMac could be far greater than the loss of the binding sale.

I can't judge their business decisions. Maybe it's insurance related. I don't know, but I hope someone else fills in. Maybe we'll be ordering from off-shore. Which, we probably have been, in essence, doing already. I have to find out more about Delmar.

Stewmac has got a lot of incidental business from my binding needs. I can't see buying anything from them now.

I looked in the latest LMI catalog #32 and inside the front cover under new arrivals it has tortoise binding listed,not specifying plastic or celluloid.
    Rob

And Dale, I was just sportin' with you! You sure would be welcome to stop by. Let me know when you're coming up.
    Rob, I asked the guy at LMI about #tortoise and he didn't seem to know about it, I hope they do have it.
    Too much anxiety today, pass the Maalox!

I wouldn't get too high on LMI yet. I bought some plain white from them and it was worthless, at least for the way I'm used to using binding. Like I said, it was vinyl and you have to get some other glue besides Duco to work with it and your going to have to cut some very precise miters since you can't count on the melt together method.

Quote Originally Posted by (Dale Ludewig @ April 26 2005, 19:10)
    Does Stew-Mac realize how much collateral damage this might do to their business? Ya know- you're going to order binding 'cause you need some, plus you need some other stuff. Well, what the heck, why not order the other stuff from the supplier that can give you the binding you need?
    Stewmac is not my favorite supplier, even though Jay is a friend of mine. Kind of pricy, ya know.
    Lots of times I need something that Stewmac has, and because they charge so much for shipping, I order some other stuff too 'cause It doesn't add to the shipping.

Anyway, it's one more reason to buy from other suppliers when I can.

It takes a pretty big order, but you can get sheets of binding material from Delmar and cut your own binding strips. That's what we did where I used to work. Perhaps we could amass an order, between us, big enough to make them take notice.

This is like some kind of nightmare because getting binding from S-M was like going to the store and getting milk. (only more expensive).

Saga has some celluloid bindings, as does Martin Guitar Co. I know Martin has tortoise and ivoroid, but not the laminated stuff, so you will have to laminate your own.

Charlie Derrington, what are you folks using at Gibson? Have you seen any supply problems?

The world turns and the tide goes in and out, in and out, in and out. . . .

I talked to Martin yesterday and they said that their ivoroid and tortoise binding was Bolteron or whatever its called. Jim are you saying that the plain white from LMI won't melt with Weldon #16 or Duco? I just ordered a bunch of BW and BWB!

Stew Mac discontinued shipping the binding by air and to Canada several months ago. Two questions come to mind: What is Stew Mac substituting in their mando kits? and Is there a Canadian supplier of this material?
    Rob
    Rob Chester

I think some are looking at a very small picture here specifically your personal needs.

The industry as a whole is and has been changing away from cellulose nitrate bindings fore some time for many reasons.

There is really no reason to insist on it just adapt, the bolteron and other new plastics have some good points about them number one they wont degrade and explode like the cellulose.

Stew mac supplys a WHOLE LOT more than individual builders and the stocking of the cel bindings was getting to be more of a hassle than it was worth Im guessing

That being said, First Quality and Custom may be sources to check out I happen to know they may have some in house

Scott

You can get celluloid from Roger Siminoff. But I think he only stocks the "Grained" yellowish celluloid binding. I like the ivory color because the shellac turns it yellow anyway. The grained kind looks kind of cheap too.
    HERE...> HERE
    Shalom,Yonkle (JD)