Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Leather Mando Strap

Default Homemade Leather Mando Strap

In my town I have an awesome leather-making store and want to make my own personal mandolin strap. Something to be proud of you know? I have tried researching many styles and what specific material to use but I cant seem to find a good amount of information about the subject. Has anyone tried to do this and wish to give me tips? Whats the best leather to use? best design? Know of any websites to give ideas and patterns? Any help for this novice would be very much appreciated.

- LoneFisherman
    Have you ever wondered why young people take to music like fish to water? Maybe it's because music is fun. Plain and simple. It opens up their minds to dream great dreams about where they can go and what they can do when they get older.

-Isaac Hayes-

Default Re: Homemade Leather Mando Strap

a 42 question? what style ? round braided or Flat ..

Over the left shoulder or just the right one?

One advantage Used leather Belts already have a Nice curve stretched into them over time..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandroid For This Useful Post:

I preferred the flat ones over the braided and the strap would just go over the left shoulder. At least thats what I was thinking but if there are more intelligent preferences I am unaware of I would like to know
    Have you ever wondered why young people take to music like fish to water? Maybe it's because music is fun. Plain and simple. It opens up their minds to dream great dreams about where they can go and what they can do when they get older.

-Isaac Hayes-

Read back thru The 'I love my new strap' posts in the Archives ? there are lots ..

See the word 'Archive' on the bottom of the page?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Indeed I have looked through the archives already. Was just looking for more opinions on what everyone prefers from what they have gone through.

-Isaac Hayes-

Flat,soft leather with edge stitching to help prevent stretching is what i wanted. Fortunately,after contacting a few leather workers over here in the UK,i found a guy who'd make them for me & i have 3 - 2 x 'F' style straps & 1 x 'A' style strap,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trio 2.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	138809
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

8. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

gtani7 

I make mine using rawhide laces as the fairly cheap alternative. No photos on me atm, maybe later.

You could look into the various tutorials/sites on braiding or sling- or whip-making, as may of the techniques are quite similar.

Do make them either adjustable or shorter than you need, as leather/rawhide tends to stretch quite a bit over time.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

I've made a few different leather straps for myself and for friends. A four-strand round braid is very suitable. I learned using this YouTube clip.

11. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

gtani7 

If you want a flat one, here's the tutorial I used: http://www.instructables.com/id/Brai...-a-flat-braid/

Remarkably easy to make once you get a hang of it, although you'll probably want to use fairly thin straps, otherwise it'll come out too wide.

There are also a number of good tutorials for other braid types here: http://www.seekyee.com/Slings/howtos.htm

You may also need this: http://www.lbbyj.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

13. The following members say thank you to Ausdoerrt for this post:

gtani7 

Blog Entries

For A style with raised fretboard

I prefer flat leather strap over the shoulder and not too wide. Wide gets in the way when storing in the case. 3/8 -1/2" wide maybe

Maybe a removable loop for going around the raised fretboard - soft as to be flexible and not mar the finish over time

Would prefer some length adjustment but no metal hardware

fwiw I use the levy's leather 3/8 strap that does above but would sure like to have a nice custom one that achieved the same goal

I made one for my Ellis "A" style which was ok,but the one i had made is much better. Here's the way i fitted it to the mandolin. After deciding the length,i simply punched two holes through the strap while holding the 2 sections together,& then closed the loop with a piece of round leather thong. Length adjustments are made by having 2 or more strap button holes at the other end. The beauty of using that method of closing the loop, is that the more you pull on it,the tighter the fastening gets,
    Ivan

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	138871
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Regarding favorite strap design...

I have settled on the feed-through adjustment design of the Levy M19PR strap.

Attachment 138872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4b91ba15e369a.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	138873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M19PRtankompl.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	138874

There are no metal or plastic parts to hit or scratch the instrument either during use or in the case.

It's easily adjustable, so if one is playing a gig in a suit jacket, or in a t-shirt out at a jam, it's quick work to change the length.

It's a simple design, just a slotted hole at each end of the two individual strap sections, and two small sewn leather loops which fit one each over the sections where each strap feeds through the hole of the other.

It's not bulky, so I don't have to take it off when putting the instrument into the case. Since it doesn't have to be removed, I can put a black rubber washer (or a red Grolsch washer) over the strap button and be 100% assured that the instrument is completely secured while being worn, even hanging down on my back when not playing.

Completely secured, completely adjustable, no need for removal and no possibility of scratching the instrument... what's not to like?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

18. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

If your instrument happens to have nitrocellulose lacquer finish, supposedly there is a very slight chance of a reaction between the chemicals used in curing/dying leather, and the nitro finish. This is different than the well-known vinyl and plastic problems.

Some intelligent non-alarmist discussion at AcousticGuitarForum page - the original poster asked about synthetic but they mention that real leather can have issues too, especially homemade or off-brand leather goods - their discussion is quite lengthy but here's a brief highlight:

Wade Hampton: "... there are some leather finishing chemicals that can cause chemical reactions in nitro-cellulose lacquer..."
    Bob Womack: "There are all sorts of chemicals used to tan and finish leather and they are out-gassed as the strap ages."
    Wade Hampton: "... with reputable strap manufacturers like Levy's and Sully, you know you're not likely to have those sorts of problems, because those folks are established and catering to a well-determined market. But leather purchased on a hobby basis from a local Tandy leather outlet and made into a strap might or might not cause a problem...."
    (bold mine)

The general consensus there and elsewhere seems to be that most people haven't had problems but most people are using the brand-name products which supposedly source their materials specifically to be nitro-safe.

As to how to tell whether a finish is nitrocellulose lacquer, presumably other people here will have info, I was under the impression that it was common on vintage instruments, quick Google and Amazon info indicates some modern Kentucky, Gibson, Martin etc instruments (and some independent luthiers too) still use nitrocellulose lacquer... I wonder if it's a safe assumption that my $50 Rogue probably does not have nitro? See, there are advantages to everything.

20. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

gtani7 

The ones I've been making over the last few years have evolved a little. My latest efforts are the most pleasing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5044257 edited web.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	138924  

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

I did mine very similarly to Ivan's. I used some Latigo leather straps ½" called saddle string. I thought it might be to narrow but it turns out to be just right.
    Play what you feel
    Feel
    what you play

• Loar LM-590
    • Several guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    The ones I've been making over the last few years have evolved a little. My latest efforts are the most pleasing.
    Those look amazing!
    Play what you feel
    Feel
    what you play

• Loar LM-590
    • Several guitars

25. The following members say thank you to Robert B for this post:

Blog Entries

When I play with a strap, I use a guitar strap.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

27. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

gtani7 

garded

I've made all my straps through the years and use a plain latigo. It's what most belts are made of. The strap on my Newson has been on it since '87 and it's not special leather. I've never had a problem with the nitro finish. I made two more recently for my other mandolins and used leather shoe strings to make sure of the strap length then used that length to cut the straps. I like3/4" wide strap. 1" seems like it bites into my neck and 1/2" fatigues my shoulder. It helps to have hole punches for the button. I don't like narrow straps and avoid braided as they stretch. We used to do a "mystery braid" on the belts we used to make. Look it up. It's not tied, it's just cut and knotted and there's no braiding. YMMV.

29. The following members say thank you to TonyP for this post:

gtani7 

From Robert B. - "I used some Latigo leather straps ½" called saddle string". That's exactly what i bought. It did the job fine,but i wanted a piece of leather of a dark colour & a bit more substance.
    Tony P. mentions a fact about braided straps stretching. Yes,they can stretch over time,but usually only if they're leather. Any leather strap will have a certain amount of stretch in it,that why the straps i had made recently,have a row of strong stitching along each edge to help prevent stretching. A braided leather strap that i had made for me had a rope core to prevent it stretching,
    Ivan

Name:	Saddle string 60 inches long.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	138971
    Last edited by Ivan Kelsall; Sep-28-2015 at 1:46am.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

A few years ago, I bought a length of bison leather and did a "slit braiding" on it. I like it.

Name:	strap 001.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	139038 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loop-Front-long.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	139039
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

32. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

buckskin and a boot lace Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3766.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	139116

34. The following members say thank you to Coffee Guy for this post:

Just be careful of the leather as some of the tanning processes are harmful to instrument finishes. I have made all my straps for several decades. It is when the instrument is in the case that the strap comes in contact with the finish more than when you are playing.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Guy View Post
    buckskin and a boot lace Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3766.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	139116
    i love the simplicity and the adjustability of your design!
    Play what you feel
    Feel
    what you play

• Loar LM-590
    • Several guitars

Thank you. I rarely use a strap but it's comfortable and easily replaceable. It's nice to have it available.
    "Aint no chance if you don't take it"- Guy Clark

Taylor Guitars
    Fender Guitars
    1922 Martin Mandolin
    1954 Gibson EM200
    Kentucky KM250

Here are a couple of simple suede leather mandolin straps I made about 15-20 years ago. I've been using the one on the left ever since. The one on the right is my back up. The leather is soft, comfortable, and doesn't stretch.

Name:	mando strap 1.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	141940

39. The following members say thank you to WW52 for this post:

gtani7